Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I think we miss Tony Gonzalez

Default I think we miss Tony Gonzalez

watching the begining of this video makes me miss watching him.

NFL Videos: Tony Gonzalez in studio

I'll bet Barry Sanders wanted a ring, but he stayed in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    This is a true statement, and a point well taken. However, I really don't see it making one any better then the other. I'm sure Barry Sanders got paid handsomely for staying in Detroit.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 03-21-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    This is why I am still a TG fan. You see guys that its clear that they are just playing for the money. Tony is a guy who wants a ring. I can't say i blame him for wanting out. Its easy for us to sit here and say he should have given things a chance we are not him or playing in the NFL. I can't be to upset for a guy wanting to win. And with as long as he was here hereing time and time again how we just need a couple more years. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

However I won't sit here cheering for the Falcons. I don't care if they win or lose. If they were in the super bowl I would cheer for them as long as they were not playing the chiefs. But we a going to the next 30 super bowls so I won't be able to cheer for Atlanta sorry Tony.
    Players should also be playing for fun to.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Yes he did, and he suffered emotionally as a result of making that choice, as he stated in his own words in his book.

Possibly Tony read Barry's book, or talked to him personally about his decision to stay with a losing Lion's team. Possibly Tony didn't want to end up like Barry...with regrets. Keep in mind, the Chiefs weren't loyal doing what they could have, or should have on behalf of not only the fans to win, but not for those players like Tony who had remained loyal to the Chiefs for most of his career, and in his prime. :)

Here is an article about it:

Several years after retirement, and repeated refusals to discuss the abruptness of it, Sanders finally admitted that the culture of losing in the Lions' organization was too much to deal with even though he said that he could still play. He explained that it robbed him of his competitive spirit, and he saw no reason to believe things were going to improve. He also stated that there were tears in his eyes as the Lions lost the final game of his career the season before he left, because he knew in his heart he was never going to play another NFL game - "I sobbed for 3 months."

Sanders' retirement came somewhat unexpectedly and was a matter of controversy. Two years beforehand, Sanders had renewed his contract with the Lions for $35.4 million over six years with an 11 million signing bonus. When he retired with several years left on his contract, the Lions demanded that he return $7.3 million of the bonus.

Sanders refused, and the Lions sued and eventually won a judgment against him. On February 15, 2000, arbitrator Sam Kagel ruled that Sanders was in default of his bonus agreement and owed $5.5 million plus interest over the next three years.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 03-20-2010 at 11:28 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Sanders only played for 10 years. This will be TG's 13. He deserves to be able to go to a playoff team to try and get a shot at the title. Plus, I don't necassarily think a ring was the most important thing to Sanders. Look how he just walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Sanders only played for 10 years. This will be TG's 13. He deserves to be able to go to a playoff team to try and get a shot at the title. Plus, I don't necassarily think a ring was the most important thing to Sanders. Look how he just walked away.
    I agree...I don't think a SB ring was important to Sanders, rather what was important...a competitive winning attitude & effort by the Lions organization...if one is to take him at his word. He clearly was beaten down emotionally with consistent loss...and he lost his spirit & desire to play. He walked away as if he didn't care, because he didn't care any more.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Barry Sanders, was and is one of the greatest running backs that ever played the game of football. His retiring and walking away, 10 years of what he did, with the want to be lions, I am sure that he was beat down physically and emotionally. He just said
    I am not going to become a Chief!
    so I will retire.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Barry Sanders, was and is one of the greatest running backs that ever played the game of football. His retiring and walking away, 10 years of what he did, with the want to be lions, I am sure that he was beat down physically and emotionally. He just said
    I am not going to become a Chief!
    so I will retire.
    I agree he's one of the best RB's to ever play the game! He's a native Kansan too!

Connie addressed it pretty well.

Barry didn't just leave the team. He left the game, very prematurely, as opposed to leaving the team.

Would we feel better about Tony retiring, as opposed to going somewhere where the immediate future looked brighter?

I hold nothing against him in that decision, myself.

KC wins 2-3 more games last season if they have TG. So they finish with 6-7 wins. Let's say ATL loses 2 more games w/o TG, so they finish the season with 6-7 wins w/o him. Lots of postulating in that example but my point is that the teams aren't that far apart.

Which team has done more to improve itself in the 2010 offseason? In my mind KC wins that one by a landslide with the addition of crennel, weis, Jones, lilja, and others.

I think TG made a shortsighted decision by asking for a trade. Don't tell me you went to Atlanta because you wanted a ring. If you wanted a chance at the playoffs, maybe. But a ring, no way.

Tell me who will win the Superbowl next year, I'll bet you even money that you are wrong. Pick any team, I'll take the bet. There's just too many variables during the course of an NFL season.

Was ATL better than the Chiefs heading into last season, yes. Were they a favorite to win a superbowl, not hardly. So he left to go play for a team that MIGHT make the playoffs, but had very little chance of winning a SB.

Overall, I think if TG had it to do all over again, he would have stayed in KC. I think KC, TG, ATL(and their 2nd pick) all would have been better off.

Will LT win a ring in NY? I say no, and I'll take any even money bets that claims otherwise.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast