Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: I think we miss Tony Gonzalez

Default I think we miss Tony Gonzalez

watching the begining of this video makes me miss watching him.

NFL Videos: Tony Gonzalez in studio

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    KC wins 2-3 more games last season if they have TG. So they finish with 6-7 wins. Let's say ATL loses 2 more games w/o TG, so they finish the season with 6-7 wins w/o him. Lots of postulating in that example but my point is that the teams aren't that far apart.

Which team has done more to improve itself in the 2010 offseason? In my mind KC wins that one by a landslide with the addition of crennel, weis, Jones, lilja, and others.

I think TG made a shortsighted decision by asking for a trade. Don't tell me you went to Atlanta because you wanted a ring. If you wanted a chance at the playoffs, maybe. But a ring, no way.

Tell me who will win the Superbowl next year, I'll bet you even money that you are wrong. Pick any team, I'll take the bet. There's just too many variables during the course of an NFL season.

Was ATL better than the Chiefs heading into last season, yes. Were they a favorite to win a superbowl, not hardly. So he left to go play for a team that MIGHT make the playoffs, but had very little chance of winning a SB.

Overall, I think if TG had it to do all over again, he would have stayed in KC. I think KC, TG, ATL(and their 2nd pick) all would have been better off.

Will LT win a ring in NY? I say no, and I'll take any even money bets that claims otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    How much can I bet? Can it be 5 figures?
    If you're serious send me a PM.

I actually think the Falcons are going to be really good next season. They will make the playoffs, maybe win a playoff game but i doubt that. I will say the same thing for the Chiefs though lol....

But we are getting Tony's replacement in this upcoming draft (our 2b pick), so it is hard to say what we would be without that player. That 2b pick is going to/ should be extremely important to the success of our 2010 season and beyond....

Simply for sake of fact, let's revisit 'some', not all...of Tony's reasons stated publicly for not wanting to stay in KC. The problems were born under the CP throne, & by the time CP was forced to resign, Tony's frustrations were already deeply embedded within. Here are some of Tony's public quotes, and journalists comments related:

Jason Cole; And with all due respect to the Kansas City Chiefs, the only team he has played for, Gonzalez has serious doubts the Chiefs are going to give him that chance anytime soon. He has been frustrated with not only the team’s results but also moves such as trading defensive end Jared Allen, who is playing on the NFC Pro Bowl team this week.

Tony G; “We traded away our best defensive player [Allen], by far. A game changer and you trade him away. That’s just too much, and that’s sending a message to the guys on the team.”

“I love Kansas City. I really do. If I could stay there, I would. That’s why this is going to be a tough decision. We’ve been rebuilding. It hasn’t really seemed to go well. We won four [in 2007] and two this year. It’s getting tough. I don’t want to make it seem to the fans in Kansas City and to my teammates that I’m abandoning them. I hope, I think, they’ll understand.”

“I want to see who they name as head coach,” Gonzalez said. “Yeah, I hear they’re talking to Todd Haley, but then there’s this coach [Ferentz] from Iowa State, some [expletive] like that and I don’t want to deal with that. It seems like we’re rebuilding anyway, and I don’t want to do that. I don’t know that I want to do that any more than I already have been.”

"I don’t care about being good. I want to be great. I want to win a Super Bowl.”

ESPN; The key, though, is what Hunt wants. If the Chiefs don't want to trade Gonzalez, they don't have to. The impression I've gotten from Gonzalez has been that he does want to play for a contender, but it would break his heart to leave the Chiefs. And the bottom line in this situation is what the Chiefs want.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

The trade negotiations began under CP, not Pioli:

Posted: Oct. 15, 2008
    Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers thought they had closed a deal for the Kansas City Chiefs' Tony Gonzalez just before the trading deadline, but according to the nine-time Pro Bowl selection Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson pulled out at the last second.

Two NFL sources told the Journal Sentinel Tuesday that the Packers were in the running for Gonzalez and that they were offering a third-round draft choice. Another source said Wednesday that Gonzalez had approved a trade to the Packers and was prepared to make the move.

According to two of the sources, the Packers and another team were offering the same compensation for Gonzalez, but Peterson decided at the last minute that he wanted more than a third-round pick.

In an interview with FOXSports.com Wednesday, Gonzalez said he was shocked that a deal didn't happen after talking to Peterson.

"I wanted to know if it could happen with a fourth (-round pick)," Gonzalez said. "He started talking about a second and a fifth like the (Jeremy) Shockey deal. Nobody is going to trade a second for a 32-year-old tight end. All along Carl said he would do something that works for both parties. Then he talked about how he traded a third for Willie Roaf, and he made it pretty clear to me that's what was going to get it done. That was certainly fair.

"I know teams offered a third and in the end, Carl made the asking price a second."

One NFL source said Tuesday night that Gonzalez was livid about Peterson's decision not to let him go. Gonzalez didn't dispute that when he addressed reporters at Chiefs headquarters Wednesday.

He was asked whether he would have gone to Green Bay.

"Yeah. I probably would've," he said.

General manager Ted Thompson had the option of meeting Peterson's new price but decided it was too much and let the trading deadline pass without a deal.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456