Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado Chasing!

Default Tornado Chasing!

I posted this at Facebook the other day to local friends & family, but a few of my Chiefs Crowd friends are at FB too, so a few of you already this, but not all.

I submitted an application for a position of 'apprentice' tornado chaser, lol. Basically, I'd just be a go-fer for the pro's, helping with this or that. I've always said chasing tornadoes is something I'd like to do...this might be my opportunity. I've been fascinated by tornadoes since witnessing & surviving an F5 when I was almost 11 yrs old, but remember it like yesterday...all of it, including the sound.

The job only lasts for the short tornado prime season. Many submitted applications, so I'm not 'that' optimistic, considering my age is a negative factor at 53, haha. Although, I am in good health overall, & can out run both my kids, haha! Heck, I braced all the roof rafters myself when building this house from the ground up, and much more. If I can build a house in my late 40's & early 50's...I can chase tornadoes, hahaha.

I passed the 'tornado safety & knowledge test' easily, since my fascination has led me to spending literally hrs. over the yrs. researching & learning about tornadoes. I should know within a couple wks. if I get the job or not, wish me luck please!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Good luck! im envious of the job possibility! I would love to do that!

We could easily get Connie this position if it comes down to FB votes. Does it??? Post a link!

You have my vote, and my recommendation if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    You have my vote, and my recommendation if you would like.
    That's as good as you can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    That's as good as you can get!
    He only spots them, never chases them. Lazy as$!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    He only spots them, never chases them. Lazy as$!!
    This is true! I would rather spot them, than chase them. I can not run that fast.

I might spill my trying!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    This is true! I would rather spot them, than chase them. I can not run that fast.

I might spill my trying!
    @ TS!

Nah...I'm afraid Facebook votes won't give me an advantage, haha. THANK YOU for the votes of confidence though! Y'all lifted my spirits, haha.

The only thing I'm thinking might give me an advantage is if someone can figure out how to knock at least 10 yrs off of my 53, hahaha. Age shouldn't matter, but realistically I know it does, as this is somewhat a physical job.

The guy I talked to is a meteorlogist of some degree...in his early 30's I'm guessing. He said they hope to narrow it down within a couple weeks, as to who might get the job, it's been a week if memory is correct. I don't want to be a pest, so will give it another week or so, & if I've not heard anything will inquire as to whether or not they've decided & filled the position.

The tornado season isn't far off, and the job is only for the season...short term. The chasin will be within a day trip region of where I live...Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa.

There were ton's who applied, and only one 'go-fer' position available...but I'm not giving up yet! :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qu9wR03GVA"]YouTube- VIDEO INSIDE A TORNADO!!! Aurora, NE Tornado, June 17, 2009[/ame]

If you come to my neck of the woods (as Al would put it) Call me... I will pm you my phone number. Good luck in this. I was in your neck of the woods last night when this crazy spring welcome happened. We stayed at my dads at Perry Lake. About 9 miles north of Perry- it was horrible trying to make it to the expo center this morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast