Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who Think we are taking Berry at #5

Default For those of you who Think we are taking Berry at #5

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    In that case I would be doing cartwheels all over the place, though I'm so sure we're not going to take Berry at 5.

After Okung, I see Brown as the best fit for our line because he is the perfect zone-blocking tackle: not real strong but tall, very long arms, great athlete, great football school. I question Bulaga's upside, Davis' work ethic and motor, and Campbell is an athlete, not a football player.
    Would you want him at LT or RT?

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Would you want him at LT or RT?
    I don't have a strong preference either way. Albert is probably the better run blocker and Brown the better pass blocker, so probably LT.

Even if he does trade down ,I don't think he will pick Bulaga.Pioli has never drafted O-line in the first round of the draft.Who ever it is, I hope it's not a reach like last year.I like TJ and think he will be a great D-tackle but just a little bet of a reach for 3rd overall pick.

At the same time TJ might just be that little piece of the puzzle that Pioli is putting together to get us to the promise land.I just wait and see.lol

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I don't have a strong preference either way. Albert is probably the better run blocker and Brown the better pass blocker, so probably LT.
    I've been thinking, can you think of a reason not to draft a LT and RT, and move Albert inside to RG? Imagine we draft Brown with 2a, Vladamir Ducasse (look him up, he's awesome) with 2b. We could then start an OL of:

Brown/Waters/Wiegmann/Albert/Ducasse, with Lilja and O'Callaghan as the primary reserves.

I mean, that's a legitimately great OL with three longterm pieces in Albert, Ducasse, and Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by kckidd8870 View Post
    Look at Pioli's track record for getting o-line in the first round.It just doesnt happen.2008 no o-line in the draft,2007 didn't pick o-line till 5th round,T Clint Oldenburg.In 2006 are guy O'callagan,in the 5th round.2005 he pick T Nick Kaczar in the 3rd round.2004 he didn't get any O-line.2003 he got C Dan Coppen in the 5th.I just can't see it happening guys.
    Pioli has never drafted O-line in the first round of the draft.
    A.) TJ doesn't play DT.

B.) How many times do you intend to insenuate that Pioli doesn't take O-linemen early, when Bwilliams is showing you something different?

Logan Mankins (OG) was a Pats 1st round pick in 2005, Matt Light (OT) was their 2nd round pick in 2001, and Adrian Klemm (OT) was their 2nd round pick in 2000.
    Even going as far to include his 3rd round o-line pick....

2005 he pick T Nick Kaczar in the 3rd round
    But overlooking the first round pick that same season...

Logan Mankins (OG) was a Pats 1st round pick in 2005
    Probably just an oversight. Mistakes happen.

But does this change anything about your opinions, or not?

Just curious.

Pioli has never drafted an OT in the first round. OL includes Mankins bc he plays guard, but Pioli tries to maximize value at every pick, so if a draft is deep on a certain position, i expect Pioli to take advantage of that and not draft a player in the first round or so when he can get a similar player in rounds 3-5

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    Pioli has never drafted an OT in the first round. OL includes Mankins bc he plays guard, but Pioli tries to maximize value at every pick, so if a draft is deep on a certain position, i expect Pioli to take advantage of that and not draft a player in the first round or so when he can get a similar player in rounds 3-5
    Tell the truth, I see us going NT in the 1st. But if we don't go NT, we're going OT. Those are the only two options. I can understand people thinking we *should* do differently, but we won't.

And we can't get a similar player to Baluga/Okung/Williams in rounds 3-5.
    We're going to end up with one of those 3.

I think Pioli will pick an OL with the first pick. I believe the reason that he never picked to many OL early in NE is because he didn't have to. The Pats were already a well established team. Their foundation was already set.

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    You can NOT get a similar tackle in round five that you can in round one. I don't care how deep the draft is.

You can get lucky, but if that's your draft strategy, you won't have a job for long.

We're going with a tackle in the first two rounds, and I'd almost say the first two picks.

Charles Brown will be there at our 2B pick. I think whoever said Ducasse is right on.

i think we could go Berry at #5, and I think we could easily go a different way.

If we took Dan Williams, I would be disappointed, but not surprised. Sorry, but three top-five picks on a 3-4 defensive line is excessive, in my opinion.

I'd be more interested in getting Cam Thomas at the 2B or third round pick.

As of right now, barring a trade, this is how I see us going:

1. Berry
    2A. Jerry Hughes
    2B. Ducasse
    3. Sean Lee

here's what I wish we could do.

1. Traded to Bills for the #9 and #41 pick.
    2. Glenn Dorsey traded to Texans for #20 overall.

#9 Dan Williams
    #20 Mike Iupati
    #35 jerry Hughes (i think he'll fall here)
    #41 Nate Allen
    #50 Golden Tate
    #68 Brandon Spikes

maybe then we get Tyson Alualu for the defensive end position, unless Carrington falls to us in the fourth. This would make me very, very happy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast