Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Rule Change in My Lifetime

Default Worst Rule Change in My Lifetime

IMO it makes no sense to change what works....Its called sudden death for a reason...If it wasn't it would just be called the 5th quarter....All of this for a senile old (insert expletive) who THREW AWAY his (maybe) last chance at reaching the Super Bowl

I liked the old way. IMO its not the coin flip that wins the game even if the first team to get the ball wins right away. You have a DEFENSE for a reason. If they do there job like they should you will get the ball. Its that simple.

To me, "sudden death" was the little brother to the BCS. I hate when outside factors influence games or championships... in this case, the coin flip.

The percentage of teams who win the game after they won the flip wasn't anywhere close to being even. You shouldn't let a coin flip decide who gets a severe advantage. Just like you shouldn't let a computer and voters decide who the national championship competitors should be.

IMO, the NFL needs to take the NCAA OT rules and the NCAA needs to take the NFL playoff format.

Love the new rule. Perfect balance between NFL and BCS. Wish it was not just for the playoffs. With the NFL moving back the kicker to allow recieving team better field position, and FG kickers kicking 50 yarders consistantly and able to kick 55 up to 65 yard field goals. The defence has to be perfect. Two first downs and they are in FG range. Love the new rule.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I liked the old way. IMO its not the coin flip that wins the game even if the first team to get the ball wins right away. You have a DEFENSE for a reason. If they do there job like they should you will get the ball. Its that simple.
    Yeah, but you also have an offense, why shouldnt both teams have an equal opportunity to win? Football is the only sport where one team got an advantage to start OT.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

How many games would it have changed/affected in the last 10 years? Since it only applies to playoff games, I don't think it would have affected any Chiefs games ever. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    How many games would it have changed/affected in the last 10 years? Since it only applies to playoff games, I don't think it would have affected any Chiefs games ever. Can anyone confirm this?

That's probably right. And honestly none of this matters until we get back to the playoffs. But I do hope this rule ends up in regular season games as well. It seems silly to have different rules for the playoffs and regular season.

If I researched it correctly, teams who've won the coin flip in OT are 13-14. I have no issues if this instituted just for the super bowl but just for the playoffs is stupid. It's called sudden death for a reason. I wonder how this will effect the next TV contracts when it's the standard for reg. season also.

Edit
    in the playoffs trams are 13-14
    Last edited by lucky_lefty; 03-23-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    To me, "sudden death" was the little brother to the BCS. I hate when outside factors influence games or championships... in this case, the coin flip.

The percentage of teams who win the game after they won the flip wasn't anywhere close to being even. You shouldn't let a coin flip decide who gets a severe advantage. Just like you shouldn't let a computer and voters decide who the national championship competitors should be.

IMO, the NFL needs to take the NCAA OT rules and the NCAA needs to take the NFL playoff format.
    Exactomendo!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    IMO it makes no sense to change what works....Its called sudden death for a reason...If it wasn't it would just be called the 5th quarter....All of this for a senile old (insert expletive) who THREW AWAY his (maybe) last chance at reaching the Super Bowl
    I dont think it is such a bad idea. I mean they ARE only seeing how it goes for this season.

I like the change,would like it better if it were regular season as well, but would really like to see an extra 15 minutes (5th quarter) as some one mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast