Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : The Chiefs Must Draft A Starting Safety

Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : The Chiefs Must Draft A Starting Safety

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    If he were capable of being a "shutdown corner" then he would not be listed as a Safety, and he wouldn't have been playing Safety in school.

CB is a far more difficult position to fill than Safety. Old, and slow CBs become Safeties. Safeties do not become CBs.
    Asomugha was a safety in college I think.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    If he were capable of being a "shutdown corner" then he would not be listed as a Safety, and he wouldn't have been playing Safety in school.

CB is a far more difficult position to fill than Safety. Old, and slow CBs become Safeties. Safeties do not become CBs.
    Are we familiar with a young man named Nnamdi Asomugha thats exactly what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateGreat#58Fan View Post
    Are we familiar with a young man named Nnamdi Asomugha thats exactly what he did.
    I dont think Asomugha is a shut down corner. Just my opinion, if you go back and watch our games against the Raiders we went after him and had some plays on him. I just don't see him as a shut down corner right now. Maybe its just becuse hes a raider.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateGreat#58Fan View Post
    It wouldn't be a rule, without exceptions.

But it is not wise to use your top pick on a player that some specualte could possible play position A.

If you draft a CB, then draft a CB, not a Safety.

Occaisionally a OG manages to convert to play LOT. But that is the exception. The rule is that you draft an OT and, if nothing else, he can easily be converted to playing the far easier position of OG.

LOT is a far more difficult position to master than OG, just like CB is a far more difficult position to master than S.

So, unless we feel that he is the top CB prospect in the draft, and that CB is a position in that kind of need, then we would be drafting for a second-tier position with the #5 overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by mfainter View Post
    You posted a HIGHLIGHTS video, not an analysis or a highlights/lowlights video. Of course it's going to make him look like superman.
    Its alot to make a highlight reel. What is the point of a two min 1? Most are atleast 3 1/2 mins. Takes alot of clips to make 3 min + worth.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    And for the fans who don't want to pay Berry that kind of money......We could give it to some player like Bowe,Dorsey,or Jackson,

Bowe may never be more then average, he has to improve to do that.

Dorsey will never be average in a 3 4 defense (could be good in a 4 3 though)

Jackson (too soon to tell) but appears to be average or slightly above.

All of them got huge dollars,
    Do we want another normal high priced player or do we want the best MAN for the TEAM???
    Is he a man among boys when it comes to the rest of the Chiefs players? Is he going to be the only one that will make it where we win games? If we pass on Eric Berry or is drafted before us is the Chiefs organization as we know it guaranteed a certain death?

Like I have said before.. If Berry is the guy, or isn't the guy doesn't matter. As long as whoever we pick helps the team to win games and brings pride to the colors and wants to be a Chief, he deserves a place on this team. But we have to remember every rookie (including Berry) is unproven in the NFL.

Resident Celebrity

It comes down to do you think he is a game changing playmaker?
    Do you think he can be an Ed Reed or Troy Palamolu?
    I live down here in SEC country and have seen him play often, he is a playmaker. Somebody made the reference that Taylor Mays was the top safety last year, underminding what Berry has done. Mays was a top safety purely on measurables, Berry makes plays in the toughest division in college football.

Whoever we draft as long as they help us win I am down. I would just like to see some swagger in this defense, its been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by stricken721 View Post
    Is he a man among boys when it comes to the rest of the Chiefs players? Is he going to be the only one that will make it where we win games? If we pass on Eric Berry or is drafted before us is the Chiefs organization as we know it guaranteed a certain death?

Like I have said before.. If Berry is the guy, or isn't the guy doesn't matter. As long as whoever we pick helps the team to win games and brings pride to the colors and wants to be a Chief, he deserves a place on this team. But we have to remember every rookie (including Berry) is unproven in the NFL.

Certainly you have a good point, everyone drafted in unproven,its a chance teams have to take.
    I think we all know the Ryan Leaf and the Tom Brady stories.

Whoever we pick will get the same check.Therefore the pick needs to fill the biggest need per money spent to benefit the chiefs.

IMO Berry is the best safe pick at the five spot to fill the needs of the chiefs.

Superbowl teams are built from the draft, just not from the top ten picks!

As much as I like Berry I'd rather we traded out of the five spot and got a couple extra less expensive picks as this draft is very deep in most positions.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Certainly you have a good point, everyone drafted in unproven,its a chance teams have to take.
    I think we all know the Ryan Leaf and the Tom Brady stories.

Whoever we pick will get the same check.Therefore the pick needs to fill the biggest need per money spent to benefit the chiefs.

IMO Berry is the best safe pick at the five spot to fill the needs of the chiefs.

Superbowl teams are built from the draft, just not from the top ten picks!

As much as I like Berry I'd rather we traded out of the five spot and got a couple extra less expensive picks as this draft is very deep in most positions.
    That's really the best thing to do. Sorry if my post seemed like an attack on you I just don't understand some people falling in love with a guy who will probably not be on this team. We have seen in recent years that 2nd round and 3rd round picks are valuable to teams, the Chiefs have seen it too with Brandon Flowers and Jamaal Charles. Heck.. this draft is so deep that I don't think I would have any objection to not even having a 1st round pick just stock pile on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks. When it comes to a safety there are guys who could be a starter equal or possibly better than Eric Berry at the professional level, but that remains to be seen since none of them have played any NFL games.

Resident Celebrity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123