Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: OK someone's got to say it - we're not drafting Berry

Default OK someone's got to say it - we're not drafting Berry

So many of you seem to want to draft Berry. Which is OK, but you also seem to think it will happen. It won't.

Pioli's a guy who wouldn't draft a LB (Curry) last season because he didn't think LBs should be taken top-5. He isn't going to draft a safety top-5, top-10, or top-15, especially when we have big gaps on out OL and DL.

We're going Okung, Baluga, or Williams in the 1st round (barring a massive trade-down). There isn't a whole lot that can be guarenteed, but this can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Aaron Curry was THE top rated player in last year's draft. Darren McFadden was the same in 2008. Jamarcus Russell in 2007. Reggie Bush in 2006. I could care less about "top rated."

The Chiefs are a team that gave up the 6th most sacks in the league, and was 2nd to last in sacking the QB (they had 22, the leader had 48), and their biggest need is safety? That's a silly argument.

You're right, we're not going to get to the QB every play, but if you set a trend that you're going to get to the QB, it can kill an offenses game plan.

Who was the last great Chiefs safety? Deron Cherry? I recall Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas being on the same team for a couple years with him...
    funny you bring up Deron Cherry. He was signed by the Chiefs to be the punter and filled in as safety during practice and the rest is history.

We have had some very good safeties on this team drafted later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    funny you bring up Deron Cherry. He was signed by the Chiefs to be the punter and filled in as safety during practice and the rest is history.

We have had some very good safeties on this team drafted later in the draft.
    Really? Thanks for that little bit of info, I didn't know that. REP!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Really? Thanks for that little bit of info, I didn't know that. REP!
    My story maybe be off a little, becasue for some reason I am think I recall Deron saying he jumped in at safety during a game and not practice, but he was indeed signed to compete as a punter. He did play safety though in college, so it wasn't like total garbage that he did well. He was an UFA and was not drafted.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567