Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Chiefs waiting until next year for a NT?

Default Are the Chiefs waiting until next year for a NT?

Look at next seasons draft before knocking mocks w/o a NT or a C - Arrowhead Pride
    If Pioli doesn't like the NT's available in this years draft, there will more choices next year.

this idea had run through my head but i was too lazy to research it ha

Ya, but a NT takes about 2-3 years to develop anyway so i would much rather take one this year than the next.

Quote Originally Posted by moshak View Post
    Ya, but a NT takes about 2-3 years to develop anyway so i would much rather take one this year than the next.
    OK, a 3-4 NT does not take 2-3 years to develop. Guys like Hampton, Wilfork, and Ngata stepped in as 3-4 NTs from day one.

But there isnt a NT of that caliber in this draft other than possibly dan williams and spending the 5 pick on him would be just as dumb as the 3 pick with jackson last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortnem View Post
    But there isnt a NT of that caliber in this draft other than possibly dan williams and spending the 5 pick on him would be just as dumb as the 3 pick with jackson last year.
    Why don't we give TJ a couple more years before you start calling Pioli dumb

Im not saying he is dumb im just saying i dont like the pick. You have the best defensive player still on the board in Aaron Curry that would have stepped in just like jackson did. But instead we take jackson 12-15 spots ahead of where he should have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bortnem View Post
    Im not saying he is dumb im just saying i dont like the pick. You have the best defensive player still on the board in Aaron Curry that would have stepped in just like jackson did. But instead we take jackson 12-15 spots ahead of where he should have gone.
    Why is everyone still on Aaron Curry? He had arguably a more disappointing season than Jackson.

Let's take a look at how Jackson did compared to some competition. I think we can both agree that Wilfork is one of the best when it comes to 3-4 DE. He had:

30 solo tackles
    17 assists
    4 sacks
    3 pass deflections.

Jackson had

23 solo tackles
    11 assists,
    0 sacks,
    2 pass deflections

He ranked 62nd among all defensive ends in tackles (and let's not forget that defensive ends in a 4-3 defense have more emphasis on making plays.)

Now let's take a look at Curry:

54 solo tackles
    7 assists
    2 sacks
    6 pass deflections

He ranked 64th among all linebackers in tackles. Another rookie, Cushing, was taken 11 picks later than Curry...133 total tackles.

My point is, just because a guy is hyped as the greatest athlete in a certain draft class, doesn't mean he's going to come out and produce. The Chiefs have a tremendous supporting cast outside of Pioli and Haley to help them evaluate talent. They obviously saw things that Curry lacked and decided that Jackson would help the team more.

I hear what your saying but i believe that curry will have a better career than cushing. Also cushing fell into a team that went 9-7 not 5-11. I was just puzzled why we move Hali to OLB when he was just as good as TJ at DE. Then we could have drafted curry who actually plays LB to play LB. I just feel it would have been a better team because Hali would not have learned how to play a new position. I dont hate the TJ pick I just think there were better options than him.

First Wilfork is a NT not a DE.
    Second, Hali is not a 3-4 DE. He is 30 pounds to lite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast