Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OK someone's got to say it - we're not drafting Berry

Default OK someone's got to say it - we're not drafting Berry

So many of you seem to want to draft Berry. Which is OK, but you also seem to think it will happen. It won't.

Pioli's a guy who wouldn't draft a LB (Curry) last season because he didn't think LBs should be taken top-5. He isn't going to draft a safety top-5, top-10, or top-15, especially when we have big gaps on out OL and DL.

We're going Okung, Baluga, or Williams in the 1st round (barring a massive trade-down). There isn't a whole lot that can be guarenteed, but this can.

Take Berry, trade back into the first round and draft Charles Brown, zone-blocking OT extraordinaire from USC. Everyone's happy!

That is history but it a situation where we have no Safety playmaker and one of the best safety playmaker's in recent history will be sitting there. Berry fits this team like no other top 10 player and history could easily be changed here.

We have gaping holes everywhere on this team...I'm just glad to have 3 picks in the top 50 of this deep draft. I wouldn't mind Berry, but if we don't take him I won't be too disappointed. I think the money is better spent at another position anyways. I still can't justify making a rookie the highest paid guy at his position. Just seems like it would skew the financials a little bit. I know, I know, the argument is that we spend this money anyways. Very true, but certain positions in general cost more than other positions. What if we take Berry and resign Charles to a huge contract. You have a lot of money tied up into QB, RB, and S. QB is generallly the highest paid anyways, so understood. RB is usually middle of the pack in terms of salary, and S is usually one of the lowest paid positions. This takes a huge hit on the money we have to spend on quality linemen (offensively and defensively) and other critical positions.

If we take Berry, there may be a good possibility Flowers doesn't get resigned once he becomes a FA, b/c our secondary would cost too much.

I just think to me honestly, Berry would be great to have, a playmaker! But it's still not worth having to pay him huge money and completely restructure the team's salary structure. I say look to Myron Rolle. Maybe not as big a playmaker, but very smart on and off the field. This is just what you want at safety, someone who knows where he should be and doesn't get beat deep.

Quote Originally Posted by buffman316 View Post
    That is history but it a situation where we have no Safety playmaker and one of the best safety playmaker's in recent history will be sitting there. Berry fits this team like no other top 10 player and history could easily be changed here.
    My point isn't that we shouldn't take Berry. It's that we won't. I'm just saying that people are getting their hopes up. You shouldn't. You also shouldn't be disappointed when we don't draft Berry. It was never going to happen.

i think you can really make a point either way.

For Berry - we have plenty of holes to fill, he's the best player available, we need a secondary upgrade, we need someone on defense who can create turnovers, he would dominate NFC quarterbacks, etc.

Against Berry - too much money for a rookie safety. SS is not of value for a top 5 overall selection. Someone else is available (Bulaga, Dan Williams) that is of higher positional value. Pioli's history shows him not taking a safety, etc.

So on paper, it looks like there is more evidence of Pioli NOT taking Berry. But he is very creative, and always thinking out of the box. Nor has he drafted this high many times before. You just never know is what i am saying. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go with the playmaker, as I think Pioli is actually trying to win football games now...Berry could be a staple of our defense for years. Our D-Line is young, but talented. They might not be as bad as some may think.

And i still think we can get a NT to team with Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson in the 2nd round.

Safety is by far the weakest positiion on the team with the latest FA signings relating to the offensive line. ERIC BERRY!

Here is what will settle everything-We trade with buffallo so they can get Clausen and then the draft would look like this-
    Rams-Bradford
    Lions-Suh
    Bucs-McCoy
    redskins-Okung
    Bills-Clausen
    Seahawks-Bulaga
    Browns-Joe Haden
    Raiders-Bruce Campell
    Chiefs- ERIC BERRY

That WOULD BE GREAT AND IT IS SOMEWHAT POSSIBLE, RIGHT???

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Safety is by far the weakest positiion on the team with the latest FA signings relating to the offensive line. ERIC BERRY!
    Safety might be a larger need then other spots but IMO we need pass rush more. It won't matter if we take Berry if we don't get a pass rush. Last year QBs had time to read a book make lunch take a nap before they had to get rid of the ball even if we have berry guys will be able to get open in that amount of time. WE HAVE TO GET A PASS RUSH to make any gains on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Safety might be a larger need then other spots but IMO we need pass rush more. It won't matter if we take Berry if we don't get a pass rush. Last year QBs had time to read a book make lunch take a nap before they had to get rid of the ball even if we have berry guys will be able to get open in that amount of time. WE HAVE TO GET A PASS RUSH to make any gains on the defensive side of the ball.
    Berry in the first round. A pass rusher in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Berry in the first round. A pass rusher in the 2nd round.
    Yah, Someone like Jerry Hughes in the second round and then also get Arthur Jones in the second.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast