Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: OK someone's got to say it - we're not drafting Berry

Default OK someone's got to say it - we're not drafting Berry

So many of you seem to want to draft Berry. Which is OK, but you also seem to think it will happen. It won't.

Pioli's a guy who wouldn't draft a LB (Curry) last season because he didn't think LBs should be taken top-5. He isn't going to draft a safety top-5, top-10, or top-15, especially when we have big gaps on out OL and DL.

We're going Okung, Baluga, or Williams in the 1st round (barring a massive trade-down). There isn't a whole lot that can be guarenteed, but this can.

Quote Originally Posted by kcallin View Post
    Brian Cushing..He was part of the team giving up 200+ yards the first 3 games, in comes Pollard and the number is cut by more than half.
    That was a stupid decision, getting rid of pollard. Eric Berry can come in, in his place!

I'm thinking out loud here after reading through this thread. I admit I know little about the Draft with not following NCAA football, etc....and this post likely could reveal my ignorance of such, but oh well! hahaha

What I do know is...it's true teams do all they can to keep it behind closed doors as to who they have a serious interest in drafting. GM's & Coaches will play head games, including using the media with comments intended intentionally to give them a draft advantage related to a variety of reasons.

What 'IF', and I realize it's a big 'IF' after all the opinions I've read here...Pioli is indeed seriously considering Berry?

The majority of opinions are Pioli won't draft Berry based upon theory in principle, money, & his drafting history. Well, what about considering theories as to why he could draft Berry? Although out of character for him, that would definitely be to his advantage if he does indeed want Berry, haha.

One possible theory might be related to forethought, even beyond the 2010 season. I don't know, but who else is out there available this year, or next, to fill our much needed position of Safety...of which can possibly compare as is expected of Berry? Especially by comparison to the number of possible OL & DL players out there?

I could be wrong, but it's been my impression that great Safeties are more rare in the NFL than that of OL & DL positions...no?

Is Berry's talent as a Safety so obvious that Clark, Pioli, & Haley might possibly consider Berry to be more valuable, & worth the money...than normally would be a Safety in the Draft? Especially related to building a consistent Chiefs team long term?

Consider this factor too...a good GM will pay attention to an opinion, or desire held of his teams fan base majority. Fans may not have the education or experience of an NFL GM...but a majority have just as much passion, knowledge, and intelligent logic related to the game & their teams needs to resolve problems. It's not as if the overall opinion held by a majority of fans should not have any value with those in power, such as a GM. Well, unless you have an ego such as that became of CP, and believe fans opinions don't matter at all, haha. We all know what happen to CP when his ego allowed him to ignore fan base desires over his own, hahaha.

The NFL is a business for profit, and no different than any other business...you must do your best to keep your customer happy. It's been made perfectly clear to Clark Hunt, as well as Pioli, Haley...that the overall Chiefs fan base is not happy. Assuming they're intelligent businessmen, they have to be concerned with making Chiefs fans happy in 2010, and would be considering a variety of ways to achieve that...including possibly spending more money for Berry as Safety. Afterall...from what I've gathered by reading around the net...it appears the majority of Chiefs fans are in favor of drafting Berry over any one else. Within that majority lies another majority...unhappy Chiefs fans not willing to buy tickets. Would Berry make a difference in that aspect also...since he appears the popular draft desire of a Chiefs fan base majority?

Okay, I'm done rambling out loud with my lack of Draft knowledge theories related to the Chiefs powers possibly drafting Berry, hahaha. :)
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 03-25-2010 at 03:08 AM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I'm thinking out loud here after reading through this thread. I admit I know little about the Draft with not following NCAA football, etc....and this post likely could reveal my ignorance of such, but oh well! hahaha

What I do know is...it's true teams do all they can to keep it behind closed doors as to who they have a serious interest in drafting. GM's & Coaches will play head games, including using the media with comments intended intentionally to give them a draft advantage related to a variety of reasons.

What 'IF', and I realize it's a big 'IF' after all the opinions I've read here...Pioli is indeed seriously considering Berry?

The majority of opinions are Pioli won't draft Berry based upon theory in principle, money, & his drafting history. Well, what about considering theories as to why he could draft Berry? Although out of character for him, that would definitely be to his advantage if he does indeed want Berry, haha.

One possible theory might be related to forethought, even beyond the 2010 season. I don't know, but who else is out there available this year, or next, to fill our much needed position of Safety...of which can possibly compare as is expected of Berry? Especially by comparison to the number of possible OL & DL players out there?

I could be wrong, but it's been my impression that great Safeties are more rare in the NFL than that of OL & DL positions...no?

Is Berry's talent as a Safety so obvious that Clark, Pioli, & Haley might possibly consider Berry to be more valuable, & worth the money...than normally would be a Safety in the Draft? Especially related to building a consistent Chiefs team long term?

Consider this factor too...a good GM will pay attention to an opinion, or desire held of his teams fan base majority. Fans may not have the education or experience of an NFL GM...but a majority have just as much passion, knowledge, and intelligent logic related to the game & their teams needs to resolve problems. It's not as if the overall opinion held by a majority of fans should not have any value with those in power, such as a GM. Well, unless you have an ego such as that became of CP, and believe fans opinions don't matter at all, haha. We all know what happen to CP when his ego allowed him to ignore fan base desires over his own, hahaha.

The NFL is a business for profit, and no different than any other business...you must do your best to keep your customer happy. It's been made perfectly clear to Clark Hunt, as well as Pioli, Haley...that the overall Chiefs fan base is not happy. Assuming they're intelligent businessmen, they have to be concerned with making Chiefs fans happy in 2010, and would be considering a variety of ways to achieve that...including possibly spending more money for Berry as Safety. Afterall...from what I've gathered by reading around the net...it appears the majority of Chiefs fans are in favor of drafting Berry over any one else. Within that majority lies another majority...unhappy Chiefs fans not willing to buy tickets. Would Berry make a difference in that aspect also...since he appears the popular draft desire of a Chiefs fan base majority?

Okay, I'm done rambling out loud with my lack of Draft knowledge theories related to the Chiefs powers possibly drafting Berry, hahaha. :)
    I'm hoping he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko58 View Post
    the ravens d would be no where as dominant without reed thats why him retireing scares them
    The Ravens' defense was better before Reed.

And The Steelers were no worse before Polamalu.

Now, both of those defenses had great Safeties prior to those guys. But the point is that both of those defenses were already dominant, and the addition at Safety was an enhancement, not the building block.

ok first off I am for drafting Berry.

just a ? even if we went with a D line guy, how often are we going to get to the QB? We are not going to get a sack every play, it's just not going to happen. The safety gets in on some pass rushing on the QB.
    The 3-4 D-line isn't there to get sacks.

ok let me make this real clear...F@#k getting a NT,OT at 5,or what the hell else S# that comes out of some "sport writers" mouth, we need a GOD@#$% safety, who does not understand the concept of the safety and the impact he would have????? Sometimes I feel like about the only one who is wanting the CHIEFS to get Berry.
    You.

I am not against drafting Berry. But that's only because there is not likely to be another player that meets our needs, that is valued as high as #5.

Just a little side note, Mike Brown was one of the top "Playmakers" in The NFL before he came here.

He didn't change, except to have finally stayed healthy, which is a plus.

What changed is he found himself playing in a crappy defense, and the way he used to do things no longer worked.

That is what happens to "Playmaker" Safties who go to play on poor defenses.

Instead of running up to make a big tackle against the run, they find themselves being blocked, or just having their teammates shoved into their way. Which forces them to take a bad angle, and makes them look like terrible tacklers.

They no longer get to jump a route based on their "read" of a QB, because the QB doesn't have to throw it right now. So when they do try that, they wind up getting torched, because they are out of position. And if they don't try that, then they don't get to "make the play".

Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu were added to already great defenses, so they flourished and were able to go make those plays. Had either of them been added to The Detroit Lions, they would likely be out of the league by now.

Aussie...I had you in mind when I decided to make that post, hahaha. I had a feeling all the 'no Berry' posts were becoming a bit discouraging, so wanted to throw some positive possibilities out there to balance a bit to your side of the fence. I tend to favor the underdogs, hahaha. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Aussie...I had you in mind when I decided to make that post, hahaha. I had a feeling all the 'no Berry' posts were becoming a bit discouraging, so wanted to throw some positive possibilities out there to balance a bit to your side of the fence. I tend to favor the underdogs, hahaha. :)
    Thanks for the concern Connie Jo. Nah, dont worry about me getting down on Berry. Ill be rooting for him 100% for the next 28 days until the darft! I think he's a perfect player to draft because the Chiefs NEED a safety and quick! AND he's a great safety, so it's perfect!
    GO ERIC BERRY!
    GO JAMAAL CHARLES!
    GO CHIEFS!!
    Unless The faders draft him I'll always be one of my more favorite players that aren't in the Chiefs jersey (if he doesn't get drafted by them!)

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The Ravens' defense was better before Reed.

And The Steelers were no worse before Polamalu.

Now, both of those defenses had great Safeties prior to those guys. But the point is that both of those defenses were already dominant, and the addition at Safety was an enhancement, not the building block.

The 3-4 D-line isn't there to get sacks.

You.

I am not against drafting Berry. But that's only because there is not likely to be another player that meets our needs, that is valued as high as #5.

Just a little side note, Mike Brown was one of the top "Playmakers" in The NFL before he came here.

He didn't change, except to have finally stayed healthy, which is a plus.

What changed is he found himself playing in a crappy defense, and the way he used to do things no longer worked.

That is what happens to "Playmaker" Safties who go to play on poor defenses.

Instead of running up to make a big tackle against the run, they find themselves being blocked, or just having their teammates shoved into their way. Which forces them to take a bad angle, and makes them look like terrible tacklers.

They no longer get to jump a route based on their "read" of a QB, because the QB doesn't have to throw it right now. So when they do try that, they wind up getting torched, because they are out of position. And if they don't try that, then they don't get to "make the play".

Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu were added to already great defenses, so they flourished and were able to go make those plays. Had either of them been added to The Detroit Lions, they would likely be out of the league by now.
    . I agree 100%, while it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they took Berry (I was initially on the Berry bandwagon), I still fill the Chiefs as a whole benefit more from improving the front 7 and taking a safety in the middle rounds. You're right on about it being a position of enhancement though, and not one to build your defense around.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Berry in the first round. A pass rusher in the 2nd round.
    And a stretcher for Cassell in the third round. The online nees help. Our upgrades were not spectacular and aging. We need either starters or potential starters to groom as depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko58 View Post
    but you do in a unproven o lineman, or another defensive lineman???
    Yes, because a failed corner could be an excellent starter at Safety. An undersized LB could be safety.

You get what you get with O lineman and D lineman except for mayabe a TE.

Safeties are only as good as the people in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    And a stretcher for Cassell in the third round.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast