Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Pioli thinks about the draft!

3. Pioli will draft players who meet the criteria: a) they have the ability to perform at a high level and b) they play a position of deepest need on the team.
    "Do you draft players based upon ability or team need?" To which Pioli responded:
    I have always felt that it is a combination of those two things. Some teams do things based purely on need, other teams do it based on what they think is the best player available. I think it is a combination of those two things. You have to take into account who’s the best player available and also what your needs are. I’ll go back to a situation years ago: on our roster we had a certain position that we had a large number of players and we kept passing a player up that we felt was the best player available. We also felt we had a strong number of players at that particular position but there comes a point in time where you have to mesh those two things together and do a combination of best player and needs.

Eric Berry much?

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    3. Pioli will draft players who meet the criteria: a) they have the ability to perform at a high level and b) they play a position of deepest need on the team.
    "Do you draft players based upon ability or team need?" To which Pioli responded:
    I have always felt that it is a combination of those two things. Some teams do things based purely on need, other teams do it based on what they think is the best player available. I think it is a combination of those two things. You have to take into account who’s the best player available and also what your needs are. I’ll go back to a situation years ago: on our roster we had a certain position that we had a large number of players and we kept passing a player up that we felt was the best player available. We also felt we had a strong number of players at that particular position but there comes a point in time where you have to mesh those two things together and do a combination of best player and needs.

Eric Berry much?
    Not really....2nd fewest sacks and 2nd most rushing yards given up in the league. Not really the highest need at safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Not really....2nd fewest sacks and 2nd most rushing yards given up in the league. Not really the highest need at safety.
    The reason we had so few sacks is because QB's were getting ride of the ball in 2 to 2.5 seconds. There has to be some coverage if you have any hope to get a sack. QB's seldome get sacked when they get ride of the ball in under 3 seconds. Many of the rushing yards will deminish as our new coaches continue to develope our young defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fansincebirth View Post
    The reason we had so few sacks is because QB's were getting ride of the ball in 2 to 2.5 seconds. There has to be some coverage if you have any hope to get a sack. QB's seldome get sacked when they get ride of the ball in under 3 seconds. Many of the rushing yards will deminish as our new coaches continue to develope our young defense.
    I think you made that up. Sure it's true part of the time, but I don't think our coverage was that horrendous that every play the QB was throwing quick routes. It was one of the better aspects of our team last year (still not good). But I still think it gets way better with a better pass rush.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 04-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Instead of looking at the stats in vacuum, you should look at them objectively.

Teams scored 25 Passing TDs on us last season, and 18 rushing TDs. Plus we were the 3rd most ran against team in the league. Add to that the fact that we were outscored 29-93 in the 1st quarter and 325-262 the other 3 quarters combined.

What that tells me is that teams got up on us passing the ball early, and then ran the clock out late in the game.

You get a safety to go with Carr and Flowers and teams aren't going into the 4th with a 3 TD lead, so they can't run the clock down on us.
    Last edited by slimdagreat; 04-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slimdagreat View Post
    Instead of looking at the stats in vacuum, you should look at them objectively.

Teams scored 25 Passing TDs on us last season, and 18 rushing TDs. Plus we were the 3rd most ran against team in the league. Add to that the fact that we were outscored 29-93 in the 1st quarter and 325-262 the other 3 quarters combined.

What that tells me is that teams got up on us passing the ball early, and then ran the clock out late in the game.

You get a safety to go with Carr and Flowers and teams aren't going into the 4th with a 3 TD lead, so they can't run the clock down on us.
    I understand what you are saying. I just think the pass rush is pathetic. That's going to fix the pass D more so than Berry in my opinion.

You also have factor's contributing such as defenses are becoming stronger, quicker, & tougher...QB's are adjusting to this knowing they have to get rid of the ball quicker than ever. As well, but in contradiction I realize...OL's are also getting stronger, quicker, & tougher...making it more difficult for a defense to rush the QB, make sacks.

I pay no attention at all to last seasons stats putting us at the bottom...last season had too many negative contributing factor's to rely on stats alone as being truth for what was...playbook thrown out, OC fired, new GM, HC & DC, etc..

Obviously it was felt that Pendergast wasn't effective as DC, he was fired after one season...yet most of our notable name defensive players have been retained. That tells me that Pioli & Haley also believe the talent & ability already exists on the Chiefs team, & will emerge with negative factor's eliminated, such as the firing of Pendergast & hiring of Crennel.

Peyton Manning get's sacked, but his long pass game ability still wins games...so do other QB's with notable long pass talent. Long pass play calls appear to me to be making a comeback...appearing more & more in games these days among teams in the NFL. Possibly this is due to stronger defenses ability to stop the rushing game more often than not. We need to stop the long pass play as much as we do the rush & short pass (WCO).

We lost games we shouldn't have, but it wasn't because of the defense alone, not being able to stop the opponents rushing game, nor the inability to sack QB's. We lost as a result of many contributing factor's...including dropped passes by WR's, fumbles, and a playbook being thrown out with the early season firing of Gailey didn't help either. Then Bowe was suspended...on & on, so many factor's to consider last season. Still...we didn't do as bad as our stats & record indicate, we weren't 'that' bad all factor's considered...read below:

"The Chiefs fielded one of the NFL's youngest teams a year ago. And it showed. While KC did improve from 2008 to 2009 (2-14 in 2008 to 4-12 in 2009), fans were left thinking of what could have been. Six of the Chiefs twelve losses were by seven points or less. Seemingly, the biggest obstacle the Chiefs young core of players had was the inability to perform at a consistent level throughout the entirety of a game, much less a season. Young, talented players need maturation. Maturation takes time. All that young talent was able to keep Kansas City in the game, but wasn't able to close those games out. Growing pains.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Blown pass coverage = Vrabel and Hali. Vrabel is good against the run and Hali is a great pass rusher, but neither are very effective in man or zone coverage. This is where our pass coverage fails. With Jarrad Page back there and healthy and Crennel coaching up DuJuan Morgan or safeties won't be too terrible. But they will be good enough to avoid drafting a free safety with our 5th overall pick. We need D lineman and linebackers. Not to mention we'll pick up another CB at some point in the draft and Legget will move to safety adding some quickness and depth along with our 2nd round rookie.
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

IMO drafting TJ last year at @3 was a mistake. IMO he isn't a top 10 player. I still stay they should've got Curry. What is one position in need this year? Linebacker!!!!! How strong is the draft class this year for the D-line? VERY!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast