Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think a free safety does?

Default What do you think a free safety does?

The Chiefs will be looking this draft to upgrade a defense that ranked 31st against the run and was 31st in sacks.

Eric Berry is a free safety. He will not be able to fix either of those two problems. Until the Chiefs fix those two problems, they will continue to win 4 games a season. Trying to fill critical positions (i.e. that stop the run and rush the passer) with low draft picks is how Herm Edwards destroyed the team.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

I disagree that Eric Berry wouldn't help the run defense. When one position improves, everyone improves.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    I disagree that Eric Berry wouldn't help the run defense. When one position improves, everyone improves.
    While I do think that Berry would help the Run Defense He would not help as much as getting help on the D line and would not be a big upgrade in pass rush. I will say yet again that it won't matter if we draft Berry if we do not get a pass rush. If a QB has all day to throw it would not matter whos back there someone will get open. Safety is not the biggest need I don't think it should be picked first.

um what do you think a free safety or any safety does?? a good safety can play the run the pass knock you out make a crucial interception or brake up a pass or stripe a guy.. safetys when there great help every position...(but jacko we need a pass rush) yes we do im not argueing with that love it or not were set at d end. our pass rush will consist of tamba and vrabel id like to see us draft a middle linebacker and a outside rush to learn behind vrabel but will do that late in the draft. besides safety the only other position wed take in the first on defense would be nose tackle. that would make all three of our d lineman first round picks plus remember tamba was drafted as well as a d end in the first . id like to see us change up what positions we draft first overall if we go offense of course we cango o line or wide out or tight end but if you think a safety wouldnt make us a over all better defense then your a idiot

Quote Originally Posted by jacko58 View Post
    um what do you think a free safety or any safety does?? a good safety can play the run the pass knock you out make a crucial interception or brake up a pass or stripe a guy..
    OK, I can't figure out what you're trying to say. Those words don't work in that order. A free safety plays 15-20 yards off the line of scrimmage and is the last line of defense. They almost never play the run. You're confusing strong and free safeties.

safetys when there great help every position...(but jacko we need a pass rush) yes we do im not argueing with that love it or not were set at d end. our pass rush will consist of tamba and vrabel id like to see us draft a middle linebacker and a outside rush to learn behind vrabel but will do that late in the draft. besides safety the only other position wed take in the first on defense would be nose tackle. that would make all three of our d lineman first round picks plus remember tamba was drafted as well as a d end in the first . id like to see us change up what positions we draft first overall if we go offense of course we cango o line or wide out or tight end but if you think a safety wouldnt make us a over all better defense then your a idiot
    Now, don't start throwing names like "idiot" around. I haven't said that people who want a guy like a Berry obviously have no clue what they're talking about.

A free safety will not "make us a over all better defense." It will not help our pass rush or run defense. If you don't understand that, then you need to do so.

What makes you think that? If we upgraded our long snapper, does it make our passing game better?

A free safety is a last-line-of-defense tackler and ball hawk. How does he help the run defense or pass rush?

A FS does something relevant on a very low percentage of the plays run against you.

Running plays, they wait back and, unless the HB gets past the front, they have no effect.

Passing plays, again, they wait back and try to be in position to defend the deep pass, while staying close enough defending a medium route as well.

If all goes well, then the FS doesn't get to do anything. If the FS is involved in alot of plays, then your defense sucks.

I don't want a defense that sucks. And I don't want to use this high draft pick on a part-time contributor.

Berry has actually played just as much strong safety as free safety at Tennessee, and also played some nickel. He can be moved all over the place, depending on the situation. He's a sure tackler and very smart, which can be very helpful against the run. Obviously he's most known for his playmaking and elite range in pass coverage, but his run help shouldn't be underlooked. How many big runs did we give up last season because our safeties were out of place and unable to make a play?
    Last edited by yashi; 04-03-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Berry has actually played just as much strong safety as free safety at Tennessee, and also played some nickel. He can be moved all over the place, depending on the situation. He's a sure tackler and very smart, which can be very helpful against the run. Obviously he's most known for his playmaking and elite range in pass coverage, but his run help shouldn't be underlooked. How many big runs did we give up last season because our safeties were out of place and unable to make a play?
    None. We gave up big runs because our NTs and ILBs were s***. Not because of free safety play. A free safety can stop an eight yard run from becoming a twenty yard run. But he can't stop that first big eight yard run.

And while Berry (like a lot of players) played multiple positions in college, he'll be a FS, not SS or CB, in the pros. He's being drafted to be the next Ed Reed/Brian Dawkins, not the next Polamalu/Sanders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast