Thread: 12 rounds?

Default 12 rounds?

1 thing that I've been wondering lately is howcome like 20 or 30 years ago there were like 12 rounds in the Draft and now there are only 7?

Was it something like if you were drafted after the 7th round you didn't automatically make the team?

Gosh, I couldn't tell ya. Though I've been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid...I never paid much attention to the draft. I've given it more attention this year than ever before simply due to participating at Chiefs Crowd. Well, with exception of my attending Draft Day at Arrowhead for the celebration aspect...to help my off season withdrawals, haha.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Gosh, I couldn't tell ya. Though I've been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid...I never paid much attention to the draft. I've given it more attention this year than ever before simply due to participating at Chiefs Crowd. Well, with exception of my attending Draft Day at Arrowhead for the celebration aspect...to help my off season withdrawals, haha.
    I've never really understood or known why there were so many rounds back then. I originally thought it was because there were more players, but I hardly think that's true.

Anybody got any answers?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    1 thing that I've been wondering lately is howcome like 20 or 30 years ago there were like 12 rounds in the Draft and now there are only 7?

Was it something like if you were drafted after the 7th round you didn't automatically make the team?

There used to be so many rounds because there were fewer teams back then. For example.. in 1955 Johnny Unitas was drafted in the 9th round 102 overall, which is now a 4th round pick. Another example Daryle Lamonica was drafted twice I guess you could say.. The 5th pick in round 24 in the AFL Draft and Round 12 pick 168 in the NFL Draft. I know that's a bit confusing but that's basically what it was.

Resident Celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by stricken721 View Post
    There used to be so many rounds because there were fewer teams back then. For example.. in 1955 Johnny Unitas was drafted in the 9th round 102 overall, which is now a 4th round pick. Another example Daryle Lamonica was drafted twice I guess you could say.. The 5th pick in round 24 in the AFL Draft and Round 12 pick 168 in the NFL Draft. I know that's a bit confusing but that's basically what it was.
    Thanks man for explaining it for me! REP REP REP REP REP!!!

it was a waste of time too. most of the players just got released.

Why if you just look at the 6th round today, if you get a starter you found a gem.

Hooray Ryan Succop!!

Waste of time.

Most of the time, round 5-7 are cut. Why waste 5 more days drafting players your going to cut anyways?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    it was a waste of time too. most of the players just got released.

Why if you just look at the 6th round today, if you get a starter you found a gem.

Hooray Ryan Succop!!
    Like Tom Brady

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Like Tom Brady
    There are a few exceptions. But dam, your going to go thru 5 other rounds to find the one guy?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>