Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Positional value

Default Positional value

Honestly I am kind of tired about hearing about postional value. I just want someone that can come in and play. I feel that we do not need Okung because Albert CAN plat LT maybe he is not the best LT but at least give him another year now that we got some other help on the o line. Everyone says they dont want to spend that much on a safety and I am not all for Eric Berry because I really like Myron Rolle and think we can get him as a value pick in later rounds but I just am kinda tired about hearing how something is positional value I don't care if we took a safety with the number one overall pick as long as that player came in and made the team better. Hell if there was a kicker who could make 70 yard FG against the wind blowing 50 miles in thier face I would take them at number one. I just want someone that can help us win !

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Even if economics weren't important, it wouldn't make sense as a pick. It doesn't matter how good your DBs are if your front seven stinks. You won't get pass pressure, and teams will gash you on the ground. Your defense will get tired out playing 40 minutes a game, every game.
    Your theory is predicated on the assumption that drafting a DB at #5 precludes you from improving your front 7.

There are other picks, picks where we can improve both our defensive line and linebackers.

Terrence Cody, Cam Thomas, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Spikes. That's four guys off the top of my head who should be around in round 2 or 3 and could be a major upgrade over our current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Your theory is predicated on the assumption that drafting a DB at #5 precludes you from improving your front 7.

There are other picks, picks where we can improve both our defensive line and linebackers.

Terrence Cody, Cam Thomas, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Spikes. That's four guys off the top of my head who should be around in round 2 or 3 and could be a major upgrade over our current roster.
    The later you address a position, the more likely you are to have made no improvement to it.

That means nothing. Absolutely nothing. There are going to be 21 positions on either offense or defense that we don't address until the second round, regardless of who we take.

The SMART move, therefore, is to take the player who best fills these requirements:

talent
    fit into scheme
    position of need
    on-field production
    character
    NFL-readiness
    likelihood of success/failure
    and, yes, positional value.

However, if the player is even in the discussion at this level, he doesn't lack one of these areas significantly enough to rule him out.

sure, safety isn't a position of value that regards a top-five pick. Does his talent, character, dedication, production, and intelligence override his positional value?

Dunno. I'm not the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    If we drafted Berry at 5, He would be making 10 mil more than the current highest paid safety in the league. Doesn't make economical sense to a rebuilding team to me. Build the lines first.
    I never understood this logic here...Whoever you draft is going to be one of the higher paid if not the highest paid player at their respective position. Build your line through FA or through later round picks. Not that many picked high in the 1st round that have panned out that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    I never understood this logic here...Whoever you draft is going to be one of the higher paid if not the highest paid player at their respective position. Build your line through FA or through later round picks. Not that many picked high in the 1st round that have panned out that I can think of.
    Watch the draft - you'll see. Pioli will build the lines first. Our 1st pick will either be an offensive lineman (Okung, Williams) or a defensive lineman (Williams).
    SHUT IT

Watch the draft - you'll see. Pioli will build the lines first. Our 1st pick will either be an offensive lineman (Okung, Williams) or a defensive lineman (Williams).
    Don't get it twisted, I totally know what you mean, I just don't agree with the logic. I mean if you have so much need at various positions, why reach when the BPA has been in the top 3 as far talent in the draft. If we could trade down, that would be best. Williams is probably the best T in the draft. Buluga & Okung have been getting trashed by the non-E!SPN media lately. And also, alot of people are starting to sour on D. Williams considering he only he's really been subpar considering all the hype...
    Draft week Inconvenient Truths: Season for lying - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
    5. Okung isn’t a franchise left tackle
    Teams like Oklahoma State’s Russell Okung, but he’s not a nasty mauler with great upper body strength. And he’s not consistent. When teams describe him in relation to other offensive tackles, he always comes in a clear notch below the Cleveland Browns’ Joe Thomas(notes), and some think he won’t even be a left tackle in the NFL. Not exactly what you want to hear if you’re drafting in the top five and want a Pro Bowl anchor on the left side.

Said one personnel man, “Okung is the consummate pro and a good soul, but ultimately that guy would be nice around 15 through 19. When you’re talking about the single digits [with Okung], people are concerned about that.”

6. Williams is actually the most highly skilled tackle available
    Like Okung, Trent Williams of Oklahoma is not overly nasty, either. But he is extremely athletic, and teams think he could sustain that even if he got into the 320-pound range. He’s got great balance, great feet, good arm length and has at times punished defenders with his hands. Essentially, he’s got a maximum amount of tools and ability to work with to become a true franchise left tackle.

Said an NFC source: “If you’re just looking at skill, and take away all the other stuff, he’s far beyond Okung. [Williams] has much more skill and athleticism. He’s definitely a left tackle and he could also play right.”
    Last edited by lucky_lefty; 04-19-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_lefty View Post
    Don't get it twisted, I totally know what you mean, I just don't agree with the logic. I mean if you have so much need at various positions, why reach when the BPA has been in the top 3 as far talent in the draft. If we could trade down, that would be best. Williams is probably the best T in the draft. Buluga & Okung have been getting trashed by the non-E!SPN media lately.
    I hope this first pick goes to fixing this 30th ranked defense. I'd be happy with Dan Williams or Eric Berry or anybody really that can help this D stop the run and get to the QB...
    SHUT IT

I want McClain!
    RIP My son. I will miss you eternally!!!

I hope this first pick goes to fixing this 30th ranked defense. I'd be happy with Dan Williams or Eric Berry or anybody really that can help this D stop the run and get to the QB...
    This is the biggest need for this team at this time IMO. we have made some moves on the o line to give us some time to look at the D more first. I hope we get help on defense mostly getting to the QB the whole d will look better if we can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieffaninfl View Post
    I want McClain!
    Me too! But not at 5...
    SHUT IT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast