Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Its a little early, but with 1st pick we select...

Default Its a little early, but with 1st pick we select...

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma.
    SHUT IT

first pick has to be defense. i'm not on anyone's bandwagon (berry, mclain, etc) but i think that's our biggest area of need. we need a playmaker, i'm tired of seeing the miles austin effect. personally i'd like to see some pass rush help, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotapower View Post
    first pick has to be defense. i'm not on anyone's bandwagon (berry, mclain, etc) but i think that's our biggest area of need. we need a playmaker, i'm tired of seeing the miles austin effect. personally i'd like to see some pass rush help, but we'll see.
    We'll get defensive and pass rush help. It just won't be with the 1st pick.
    SHUT IT

If you check out KCChiefs.com and listen to Pioli's pre draft press conference, he makes it very clear that Albert is our left tackle. He specifically states that they don't play or practice him at any other position. It may be smoke screen, but I believe it. If this were the case, selecting a LT at #5 overall would be a poor decision. Although, kudos for suggesting Trent Williams over Bulaga. Williams will be a MUCH better LT in the NFL. I don't want him though. Playmaker, playmaker, playmaker.
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

Yeah, I'm dying to know who our pick is going to be. We aren't going Berry. If Okung drops to us and we can't trade down, I just can't see us passing on him, but who knows. If we aren't going LT, I'm guessing our board is:

1. Dan Williams
    2. Jason Pierre-Paul
    3. Rolando McClain

And people, please stop using the word "playmaker." It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    And people, please stop using the word "playmaker." It doesn't mean what you think it means.

I see a playmaker as someone who can single handedly make something out of nothing. Generally I associate offensive personnel with playmakers, i.e., Jamaal Charles. However, maybe "game changer" would be a more suitable word to replace "play maker"?
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Chiefsfan View Post
    I see a playmaker as someone who can single handedly make something out of nothing. Generally I associate offensive personnel with playmakers, i.e., Jamaal Charles. However, maybe "game changer" would be a more suitable word to replace "play maker"?
    I wasn't trying to be rude, promise. But people keep throwing that word around like its magic. Eric Berry doesn't fit our needs? Who cares? He's a PLAYMAKER! Why would we draft Suh when we run a 3-4? He's a PLAYMAKER! It's like a kid who learns a big word for the first time and uses it completely out of context in every conversation.

A "playmaker" is someone who is a threat to make the big play every second he's on the field. A RB or WR whose always a missed tackle away from breaking the TD is a playmaker. In terms of defense, guys like Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis, and Derrick Brooks (when they were in their primes) are playmakers. There's the chance every play that they'll force a fumble, cause an INT, or knock the opposing player out of the game, whether the opposing team is running, passing, or quick-kicking.

Punters aren't playmakers. Free safeties aren't playmakers. Defensive ends aren't playmakers. Kickers aren't playmakers. Cornerbacks aren't playmakers. Any player who is away from the action over 50% of plays isn't a playmaker.

Eric Berry may be the next Ed Reed, but he won't be a "playmaker." And before someone claims otherwise, he won't be playing SS in the NFL. He did his last season at Tennessee, but against larger NFL players he'll be a last line of defense/ballhawk. And he'll excel at that. But he isn't a solution for our team's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    We need a good coverage safety.. This league is currently dominated by teams that throw the ball really well. Contrary to the old run first mantra..

The teams to beat are:

NE
    Dallas
    San Diego
    Indianapolis
    Pittsburg
    Arizona
    Minnesota (Last year they threw the ball an awefull lot!)

Hell even in our own division San Diego is the team to beat, and they are going to throw the ball alot.
    So we are going to need a pass rush and a good secondary.
    So in my book saying that Eric Berry doesn't fill a need is utter nonsense!

He might be a reach at 5, but he does fill a need. It's not the only need we have, but a need nonetheless.
    We need to stop the run aswell, but don't think stopping the run is all we have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by brish View Post
    We need a good coverage safety.. This league is currently dominated by teams that throw the ball really well. Contrary to the old run first mantra..

The teams to beat are:

NE
    Dallas
    San Diego
    Indianapolis
    Pittsburg
    Arizona
    Minnesota (Last year they threw the ball an awefull lot!)

Hell even in our own division San Diego is the team to beat, and they are going to throw the ball alot.
    So we are going to need a pass rush and a good secondary.
    So in my book saying that Eric Berry doesn't fill a need is utter nonsense!

He might be a reach at 5, but he does fill a need. It's not the only need we have, but a need nonetheless.
    We need to stop the run aswell, but don't think stopping the run is all we have to do.
    Think about it this way. We have the opportunity to massively upgrade our center position by picking Maurkice Pouncey at #5. Center is an extremely important position, and a bad one will screw up a QBs timing and throw the whole passing offense off. Why shouldn't we pick Pouncey at #5? It's because there isn't enough of a difference between great centers and bad centers that high picks should be used on onw.

FS is a position on the defense that is less important than every other position on the defense. It is less important than DT, DE, SS, ILB, and OLB. You're right that this is a passing league right now. Which means a pass rush is more important than anything else the defense can do. You can't get a pass rush if (1) you have lousy pass rushers; (2) yourpass rushers are getting blocked because your DL stinks; or (3) teams feel they can run on you at will.

Teams aren't passing more because they want to. Teams are passing more because defensive front sevens have become so big and fast that running is increasingly ineffective, and between-the-tackles RBs are increasingly getting injured. 32 teams out of 32 teams would do nothing but run if they felt that would win the game. They'd control the clock, drastically cut down the chance of turnovers, and cut down the risk of injury to everyone but the RB.

It doesn't matter how good of a FS we have. If our defensive front seven if bad, our defense will fail. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Chiefsfan View Post
    If you check out KCChiefs.com and listen to Pioli's pre draft press conference, he makes it very clear that Albert is our left tackle. He specifically states that they don't play or practice him at any other position. It may be smoke screen, but I believe it. If this were the case, selecting a LT at #5 overall would be a poor decision. Although, kudos for suggesting Trent Williams over Bulaga. Williams will be a MUCH better LT in the NFL. I don't want him though. Playmaker, playmaker, playmaker.
    So Pioli should just come out and say, "Yeah, we're not too high on Branden staying at LT, he stunk it up last year." Of course he's not going to say that. The fact is, right this second, Branden Albert IS the LT. That can easily change though with one draft pick.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast