Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Its a little early, but with 1st pick we select...

Default Its a little early, but with 1st pick we select...

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post

It doesn't matter how good of a FS we have. If our defensive front seven if bad, our defense will fail. It's as simple as that.
    I agree with you, but what if we take Berry with #5 and Cam Thomas or Cody with Rd2. Address both needs. Personally Im more interested in what we are going to do with our 2nd round picks. I think that whoever we pick at #5 will give us a good idea of where we are headed in Rd 2. Just my $0.02
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

The rumor mill is start to swirl up aswell with us attempting to put Dorsey at NT, and most likely Jackson and McGee on the ends. Which I could actually see working somewhat.. Dorsey got double teamed alot all season and still was a good space eater and was good against the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I agree with you, but what if we take Berry with #5 and Cam Thomas or Cody with Rd2. Address both needs. Personally Im more interested in what we are going to do with our 2nd round picks. I think that whoever we pick at #5 will give us a good idea of where we are headed in Rd 2. Just my $0.02
    I agree entirely with you that Cam Thomas or Cody (or even Linval Joseph) would be terrific in the 2nd. But, rather than Berry, I think we'd be much better off getting a guy like Rolando McClain or Jason Pierre-Paul in the 1st and Cam Thomas in the 2nd. I mean, if we want to upgrade our defense, why not reach for the best ILB or OLB at #5, rather than the best safety? Adding McClain/Thomas would equal more wins than Berry/Thomas, wouldn't it?

I agree entirely with you that Cam Thomas or Cody (or even Linval Joseph) would be terrific in the 2nd. But, rather than Berry, I think we'd be much better off getting a guy like Rolando McClain or Jason Pierre-Paul in the 1st and Cam Thomas in the 2nd. I mean, if we want to upgrade our defense, why not reach for the best ILB or OLB at #5, rather than the best safety? Adding McClain/Thomas would equal more wins than Berry/Thomas, wouldn't it?
    In all honesty, I have no idea. I don't know enough about college football (outside of what I read on here and see on Path to the Draft. I think there are several options that will upgrade our defense. I hope we go on teh defensive side of the ball. Seems like a lot of our free agency moves have involved offensive players. We need help on the D and if I had to address our most important need then yes I agree it shouldt be NT or LB. As to which players they get, i'll leave that up to the people who know!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

We need an olb, an ilb, and a nt. The front 7 needs to be solidified before we consider so-called "playmakers" or "luxury" picks...
    SHUT IT

McClain Yeah!!
    RIP My son. I will miss you eternally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    We need an olb, an ilb, and a nt. The front 7 needs to be solidified before we consider so-called "playmakers" or "luxury" picks...
    Which is why I like for the first 4 picks of the draft...

Round 1 : Dan Williams (NT) Tennessee

Round 2a : Jerry Hughes (OLB) TCU

Round 2b : Morgan Burnett (FS) Georgia Tech

Round 3 : Brandon Spikes (ILB) Florida

I wasn't trying to be rude, promise. But people keep throwing that word around like its magic. Eric Berry doesn't fit our needs? Who cares? He's a PLAYMAKER! Why would we draft Suh when we run a 3-4? He's a PLAYMAKER! It's like a kid who learns a big word for the first time and uses it completely out of context in every conversation.

A "playmaker" is someone who is a threat to make the big play every second he's on the field. A RB or WR whose always a missed tackle away from breaking the TD is a playmaker. In terms of defense, guys like Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis, and Derrick Brooks (when they were in their primes) are playmakers. There's the chance every play that they'll force a fumble, cause an INT, or knock the opposing player out of the game, whether the opposing team is running, passing, or quick-kicking.

Punters aren't playmakers. Free safeties aren't playmakers. Defensive ends aren't playmakers. Kickers aren't playmakers. Cornerbacks aren't playmakers. Any player who is away from the action over 50% of plays isn't a playmaker.

Eric Berry may be the next Ed Reed, but he won't be a "playmaker." And before someone claims otherwise, he won't be playing SS in the NFL. He did his last season at Tennessee, but against larger NFL players he'll be a last line of defense/ballhawk. And he'll excel at that. But he isn't a solution for our team's problems.
    Good post! REP!

I'm on the draft Berry @ #5 wagon, however...I agree that Berry is nota solution to our team's problem's, rather he is one solution moving in the right direction of solving our problem's overall...and is the best choice available to us with solving one significant problem area. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    So Polamalu was a luxury Pick??? Have you seen the steelers defense without Troy in it? It is god awful. One game changing safety can effect the opposing teams offense in many ways.

I sir, would not consider Berry a luxury pick, i consider S a huge need on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    So Polamalu was a luxury Pick??? Have you seen the steelers defense without Troy in it? It is god awful. One game changing safety can effect the opposing teams offense in many ways.

I sir, would not consider Berry a luxury pick, i consider S a huge need on this team.
    I saw it in the years before they got him. And they were stellar.

At that time, it was most definitely a luxury pick. But then, they were in a position to be able to afford such a luxury. And even Polamalu wasn't taken in the top ten.

Over the years The Steelers have become dependant on Polamalu because he has become a leader on the field for them.

But, eventhough they only had Polamalu for five games, are you aware that they ranked as the fifth-best defense in The NFL, as far as Yards allowed?

That's not quite what I would call "god aweful". It seems to me that they just had a hard time adjusting to not having that "luxury" and team leader out there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast