Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the Chiefs may move down.

Default How the Chiefs may move down.

This is just an idea but let's see what y'all think.

After hearing the Rams GM talk about Clausen's workout he used the words "It was awesome, He's going to be a great football player" I thought "What if the Rams shock everybody and take Clausen?" Is it likely? Probably not. But if it did happen I think there would be several teams who would want to jump in and get Sam Bradford. Here is where the Chiefs come in.. Lions, Buccaneers, Redskins, and the Chiefs all have their QB's set. Seahawks, Browns, Raiders, Bills, and Jaguars do not. The Chiefs are in prime real estate if any one of those teams show strong interest in Bradford which I am sure they will.

How it happens

A team will have to jump up in to the #5 spot from those teams because the first team that is a threat to take Bradford is Seattle. All of the teams there have 2nd's and 3rd's to offer Kansas City for the #5 spot.

Who won't do the trade

I don't Seattle trading up for one spot because they know when Kansas City doesn't take him he is the pick for them without any doubt. The only way they trade up is if they fell so uncomfortable that the Chiefs will trade with somebody else that they offer everything for that spot. Kind of like the Chargers did for Ryan Leaf all those years ago.

The Raiders won't do it because it doesn't make since to trade within your division. It's giving your enemy firepower to use against you from both sides.

The likely teams to do it

I think that if any teams trade up to get to #5 it will be either Buffalo or Cleveland with Jacksonville being the dark horse. My money goes on Buffalo though.

Why it could help Kansas City

A lot of fans are in love with Eric Berry, this moves Kansas City down to a better spot to pick Berry or somebody else who may be a reach (i.e. McClain, Bryant, Bulaga, Williams) and it doesn't put top 5 money on a guy who isn't a top 5 pick. It also gives Kansas City more draft picks for this years draft or for next years, and if they get real lucky.. picks in both.

Of course this may be over-thinking it but I see it as likely to happen if the Rams shock everybody and take Clausen over Bradford.
    Last edited by stricken721; 04-20-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Resident Celebrity

Problem being that the interested teams will start looking to trade up at pick #2.

The last thing one of them would want to do is trade to #5, just to watch a competitor trade to spot four and destroy their trade.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Problem being that the interested teams will start looking to trade up at pick #2.

The last thing one of them would want to do is trade to #5, just to watch a competitor trade to spot four and destroy their trade.
    That's why I said it's probably not likely. The only thing is I don't see anybody wanting to trade automatically to #2 or #3 because they know the Lions or Bucs will not take a QB after they just took a QB in the first round last year. So therefore they wait until #4 or #5 and see what happens there. The Redskins might MIGHT take a QB but I don't see it as making much sense, afterall they just traded for a QB. That's where the Chiefs fall into place at #5.

It's all an idea and I don't see it happening, but who knows.

Edit: But you're right.. They will start looking to move up to #2 because that's just the nature of the game
    Last edited by stricken721; 04-21-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Resident Celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by stricken721 View Post
    That's why I said it's probably not likely. The only thing is I don't see anybody wanting to trade automatically to #2 or #3 because they know the Lions or Bucs will not take a QB after they just took a QB in the first round last year. So therefore they wait until #4 or #5 and see what happens there. The Redskins might MIGHT take a QB but I don't see it as making much sense, afterall they just traded for a QB. That's where the Chiefs fall into place at #5.

It's all an idea and I don't see it happening, but who knows.
    But keep in mind the Lions or Bucs don't need a qb to take Bradford. One of them could take him and then immediately trade him...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    But keep in mind the Lions or Bucs don't need a qb to take Bradford. One of them could take him and then immediately trade him...
    Yep. Like they did with Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

Resident Celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by stricken721 View Post
    Yep. Like they did with Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

that was a straight up trade between two teams that wanted to switch quarterbacks...doesnt happen very often...realistically you will trade the draft pick rather than risk getting stuck with a player you dont want/need

There is a rumor floating around that Philly is in love with Berry trying and will be trying to trade picks with us to get him. I do not think this will happen because they won't give up their 2nd round pick to do so.

I would take #24, #55, #70, and a 2nd in 2011. That would leave Philly their high 2nd rounder (McNabb trade) and their own 3rd rounder.

Eagles 24 and 37 would work for me. I could care less about the trade value chart. Avoiding a top 5 contract is well worth losing in points.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Eagles 24 and 37 would work for me. I could care less about the trade value chart. Avoiding a top 5 contract is well worth losing in points.
    The only issue is that the Eagles *really* don't want to give up that early 2nd rounder. They think (correctly) that teams will take the break between rounds one and two to reset their boards, and teams picking early in round two will have great trading opportunities when other teams see top-20 talent still on the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast