Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: We did it. We got Eric Berry!

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Olathe
    Posts
    327
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default We did it. We got Eric Berry!


    0 Not allowed!
    We got Berry, who do you like next?

  2. #51
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ALASKA
    Posts
    3,068
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am ok with Berry. Hope he can play here, and perform up to the lofty expectations. If he does, then he will be an amazing addition.

    When I saw that Washington passed on Okung, I got my hopes up. But, yet again, the theory of "the piss-poor play we have had is good enough" reigned supreme. So, as with each of the past four drafts, the O-line is again underappreciated.

    However, there are still a couple of top OT prospects available. Should they slip past the first four picks tomorrow, then maybe we can see a legitimate attempt to improve that are of the team.

    I'll have my fingers crossed.
    pretty much my sentiments exactly. Need some young blood on the line!!


  3. #52
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,953
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fansincebirth View Post
    Love the Berry Pick. Most of the Sacks came up the middle. We have improved that with the release of Wade Smith and the Addition of Lilja and Weigman. Dont forget we will have Brown back this year.
    Dont see us going O line until 4th round and then will be C/OG
    Next pick
    Wow Cody, Tate, or Kindle whichever is there.
    Or we could just get Taylor Mays as well. Mays/Berry??. My #1 choice for pick 2a would be Sergio Kindle, then Bruce Cambell(RT value), then Tate/Benn, then Saffold. Cody will be there at 50 and if he isn't, oh well. He's not a player worth trading up for imo.

    ____________
    Posted from my BlackBerry, PM me for Details


  4. #53
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale,Az
    Posts
    1,292
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    With a top 5 pick, IMO it is more important to draft the best available talent than it is to draft because of need. In fact I think that's important most of the time when you have more than 1 deficiency on your team. I think we accomplished that yesterday. Having said that, most of you know how much I harp on the O line needs, let's hope we can improve a little from here.

  5. #54
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Olathe
    Posts
    327
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I really like the Kindle option next! Come on Aussie, time to toast a beer!

  6. #55
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ALASKA
    Posts
    3,068
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Jon Asamoah is at the very least a start.


  7. #56
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,106
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    With a top 5 pick, IMO it is more important to draft the best available talent than it is to draft because of need. In fact I think that's important most of the time when you have more than 1 deficiency on your team. I think we accomplished that yesterday. Having said that, most of you know how much I harp on the O line needs, let's hope we can improve a little from here.
    I am the polar opposite.

    In the first round, you are gonna get a guy who you expect to have starting immediately, and making a significant upgrade to that position.

    In the second round, you get players that you really want to have starting right away, and think they could be an upgrade at their position.

    The third round, you take guys who have a decent chance of starting, right away, or in a year or so.

    Beyond that, it becomes part-timers and long-shots.

    So, you have three rounds in which you are looking for players who can start, and possibly upgrade their FULL-TIME positions.

    And that is why I want to be very selective of which positions I am addressing. I don't want to upgrade a minor position, nor make a minor upgrade to any position, if there is a major upgrade to one of the most important positions to my team.

    At the very least, the positional concept has to be taken into account. If you have Tom Brady and he has just won his second Super Bowl, you don't use your top pick on a QB, rather he is the most talented, or not. And, you don't take a Kicker at #2 overall, even if he is the most talented player in the draft.

    You can't be pure of either concept. You can't go in with your mind made up that you are getting "position A" in the first. Just like you can't go in with a "Most talented guy available" mindset.

  8. #57
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,868
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 18

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am the polar opposite.

    In the first round, you are gonna get a guy who you expect to have starting immediately, and making a significant upgrade to that position.

    In the second round, you get players that you really want to have starting right away, and think they could be an upgrade at their position.

    The third round, you take guys who have a decent chance of starting, right away, or in a year or so.

    Beyond that, it becomes part-timers and long-shots.

    So, you have three rounds in which you are looking for players who can start, and possibly upgrade their FULL-TIME positions.

    And that is why I want to be very selective of which positions I am addressing. I don't want to upgrade a minor position, nor make a minor upgrade to any position, if there is a major upgrade to one of the most important positions to my team.

    At the very least, the positional concept has to be taken into account. If you have Tom Brady and he has just won his second Super Bowl, you don't use your top pick on a QB, rather he is the most talented, or not. And, you don't take a Kicker at #2 overall, even if he is the most talented player in the draft.

    You can't be pure of either concept. You can't go in with your mind made up that you are getting "position A" in the first. Just like you can't go in with a "Most talented guy available" mindset.
    You don't think Berry is that?

    I don't know, this whole post I can't make anything out of....You don't go with the mindset that you get the best player at a position, but you also don't go with the most talented guy.

    If you're trying to say we should go with the best player that fits "any" need, ok, I got ya. How does Berry not fit that?

    I hear ya that he doesn't fulfill one of the front 7/O-line positions, but the Chiefs did make some moves in free agency to address these needs. I'm gonna trust the judgement of the guys who evaluate this stuff every single day of their lives to say, "Hey, we're comfortable with the O-line and front 7 now, let's get the best player in the draft to address a big need we have at safety."

    Again, I'm also one of the guys that was totally on the "No way we draft Berry bandwagon." Can't say I'm disappointed though.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  9. #58
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,106
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You don't think Berry is that?

    I don't know, this whole post I can't make anything out of....You don't go with the mindset that you get the best player at a position, but you also don't go with the most talented guy.

    If you're trying to say we should go with the best player that fits "any" need, ok, I got ya. How does Berry not fit that?

    I hear ya that he doesn't fulfill one of the front 7/O-line positions, but the Chiefs did make some moves in free agency to address these needs. I'm gonna trust the judgement of the guys who evaluate this stuff every single day of their lives to say, "Hey, we're comfortable with the O-line and front 7 now, let's get the best player in the draft to address a big need we have at safety."

    Again, I'm also one of the guys that was totally on the "No way we draft Berry bandwagon." Can't say I'm disappointed though.
    Well, no matter how badly you need a Kicker, you don't go after him at #5 right?

    Your team needs should be prioritized. If you are a medicore pass defense, and a terible run defense, then run defense is of bigger need. (We were 22nd against the pass, and 31st against the run)

    But I wasn't attacking the Berry selection. I think it was out of touch, but not way out of touch.

  10. #59
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    191
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Berry is good against the run as well as against the pass. Crennell was able to do work outs with the man and seen what he can do in a workout. I am sure he wiped the druel off his chin before he said take him.
    Chiefs Nation

  11. #60
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,205
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I also think Berry will help our running game. Mike Brown whiffed on so many freaking tackles last season in the running game it made me cry at night. Find me video of Eric Berry missing tackles and I'll give you a cookie. They don't exist!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Eric Berry fans, please read this thread
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
  2. Eric Berry
    By kcallin in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM
  3. Dan Williams vs. Eric Berry - Pioli's Shoes -
    By KottkeKU in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 05:44 PM
  4. Eric Berry Jumps 43"
    By AussieChiefsFan in forum The Locker Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
  5. Eric Berry
    By Vanilla Garilla in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •