Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: We should not have got Berry

Default We should not have got Berry

For you guys saying we needed a safety maybe so, but not as much as someone to stop the run. Last year our run defense was 31 second to worst, while our pass was not good it was 22 considerably higher then our run defense. We needed someone that can make tackles inside and plug gaping holes in our d-line. What we needed was a NT or a beast OLB to rush the qb so they don't have 2 minutes to throw the ball (which would help our current secondary out) or a ILB that can actually tackle.

I think we should have traded down myself. Berry could make this a very good pick. But the thing that made me not want to do this is there are bigger needs and needs that will affect the safety postion. If you dont have a pass rush it wont matter whos back there at safety/cb the qb will have all day and someone will get open. WE HAVE TO FIX THIS. Can we do it still in this draft yes but that would be like fixing WR before o line. it would not matter if we had jerry rice in his prime if the QB had no time to throw the ball. I hope berry works out but I think that we should have went anther way. But maybe thats why i am not a gm lol.

IMO, all of this 'we shouldn't have taken Berry" and "I guess I'm not disappointed but" talk is just absurd! Everyone has an opinion and is welcome to it but the bottom line is that you simply don't pass on arguably the 2nd best talent in the draft. Period, regardless of need. This guy makes our team better INSTANTLY! Yes we need O linemaen, yes we need a run stuffer, yes we need a LOT but when this kind of talent is available, you take him!!!! I can't count how many times in the last 10 years our team has been beat because of the lack of safety help. It sickens me every year, among other things but getting beat deep has been an issue for a long time, this kid will help. It's a pass happy league now days and DB's, S, CB's are a necessity! Just ask the team that had the best in the league, Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    I can't complain about this pick as I had a genuine hope in getting either Berry or Taylor Mays. I'm happy although I still hold out some hope in picking Mays as unlikely as that may be and as strange as that may sound.

The reason I have little concern regarding a DT is I do not believe there wasn't anyone available that I would have been comfortable picking at 5 or even trading very far down in the 1st round for. You can count me in as one who would not be disappointed in landing Cody, but whatever happens, happens IMO we will get somebody in the upcoming rounds.

I do believe we should get Golden Tate however......
    Drafting Mays at 2a and putting him at SS and Berry at FS would be something. I mean, I know we have gaping holes all over the place, but, man, we'd be set at safety for the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I think we should have traded down myself. Berry could make this a very good pick. But the thing that made me not want to do this is there are bigger needs and needs that will affect the safety postion. If you dont have a pass rush it wont matter whos back there at safety/cb the qb will have all day and someone will get open. WE HAVE TO FIX THIS. Can we do it still in this draft yes but that would be like fixing WR before o line. it would not matter if we had jerry rice in his prime if the QB had no time to throw the ball. I hope berry works out but I think that we should have went anther way. But maybe thats why i am not a gm lol.
    Really? I look at it the exact opposite way. If there is no pass rush, you HAVE to have someone guarding guys in the back field.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Drafting Mays at 2a and putting him at SS and Berry at FS would be something. I mean, I know we have gaping holes all over the place, but, man, we'd be set at safety for the next decade.
    Being in Az. I watch a LOT of Pac 10 football and Taylor Mays is way over rated IMO. Well, maybe not since he's still available but all the talk about him here is odd to me. He is ALL about the big hit. Saw him get burned for TD's a ton and he is not a great tackler. He would be a pass for me on our next pick for sure. I might take a flyer on him if he were there in the 3rd but not before that and I don't think he will be. I know it sounds a bit contradictory but my point is that I wouldn't take him with our next pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Really? I look at it the exact opposite way. If there is no pass rush, you HAVE to have someone guarding guys in the back field.
    If you have a whole group of shutdown corners and great safetys sure that might work. But thats not what we have right now. I don't think that picking Berry was a bad pick I just don't think that it was the best pick for this team right now.

Like I said, IMO when the 2 nd best talent in the draft is there at #5, you take him no matter your need. Our team is better the second we sign him. I haven't seen 1 draft ranking that doesn't have the Chiefs at an A+ or an A for taking Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Being in Az. I watch a LOT of Pac 10 football and Taylor Mays is way over rated IMO. Well, maybe not since he's still available but all the talk about him here is odd to me. He is ALL about the big hit. Saw him get burned for TD's a ton and he is not a great tackler. He would be a pass for me on our next pick for sure. I might take a flyer on him if he were there in the 3rd but not before that and I don't think he will be. I know it sounds a bit contradictory but my point is that I wouldn't take him with our next pick.
    You're just stating what most people already knows. Mays is an athletic freak, but he is not a football player. Poor tackler, does not play with instinct, continuely out of position. Even Pete Carrol picked another safety over him.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    You're just stating what most people already knows. Mays is an athletic freak, but he is not a football player. Poor tackler, does not play with instinct, continuely out of position. Even Pete Carrol picked another safety over him.
    Obviously most people here don't know this! I've seen more that want him than don't! Good point about Seattle not taking him!!

Taylor Mays sucks really bad. Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast