Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: We should not have got Berry

Default We should not have got Berry

For you guys saying we needed a safety maybe so, but not as much as someone to stop the run. Last year our run defense was 31 second to worst, while our pass was not good it was 22 considerably higher then our run defense. We needed someone that can make tackles inside and plug gaping holes in our d-line. What we needed was a NT or a beast OLB to rush the qb so they don't have 2 minutes to throw the ball (which would help our current secondary out) or a ILB that can actually tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Like I said, IMO when the 2 nd best talent in the draft is there at #5, you take him no matter your need. Our team is better the second we sign him. I haven't seen 1 draft ranking that doesn't have the Chiefs at an A+ or an A for taking Berry.

Like i said i dont think that its a bad pick by any means i just dont think that it was the best pick.

I realy dont think that there are any must dos when it comes to the draft it all depends where your team is. If the colts had the number 5 pick and the #2 talent is a qb and they still have peyton should they take him. there are always exceptions. I just think we should have traded down but i have been wrong before and I hope i am wrong now. I just dont think we did the best thing. But we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Like i said i dont think that its a bad pick by any means i just dont think that it was the best pick.

I realy dont think that there are any must dos when it comes to the draft it all depends where your team is. If the colts had the number 5 pick and the #2 talent is a qb and they still have peyton should they take him. there are always exceptions. I just think we should have traded down but i have been wrong before and I hope i am wrong now. I just dont think we did the best thing. But we shall see.
    Trading down is easier said than done. And the fact is that more than anything else, our team needs talented football players, and Berry is certainly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    What if he passed on his pick completely or traded that pick to ESPN for the rights to Herm Edwards... You don't have much of a point. Berry was a legitimate choice in our position by almost every expert opinion. Never in a million years would Tebow have been "part of the plan".

By the way, it looks less like crying if you justify your position, attempt to structure it into a coherent sentence, and avoid lashing out at others. Example: Who do you suggest we take at the 5 spot? I'll give my reasons as to why I think we took Berry in the end.

An ILB wouldn't make any more sense than Berry as they're taken inside the top ten just as infrequently as safeties, and McClain isn't regarded as the same "can't miss" prospect that Berry is or Curry was last year.

Judging by how far Dan Williams fell, a bunch of teams saw something they didn't like in him. The Bills, Chargers, Fins and a few other teams all needed a NT and passed to fill positions of arguably less need. He was my pick at number five, but the Chiefs aren't alone in passing on him. I'd trust the personnel of multiple NFL teams over fans on most days.

They didn't want a tackle. Albert stepped it up last year when we had a running game to help out. He may not be elite yet, but he was nowhere near the bottom of the league's left tackles and apparently the brass hasn't given up on him as a LT or they have somebody else in mind. Personally, I hope it's Charles Brown.

Finally, an OLB would have been a stretch. We need an immediate impact player and don't have room to experiment with picks. I generally don't put much faith in "bust rates", but it's a little scarier when you pay a guy a bunch of money and then ask him to play a new position.
    Getting the best player in a position is an ignorant way too draft, you draft by need, and a safety was not our biggest need. I don't like Herm Edwards, but how many of the guys drafted by him are starting for the chiefs now? I bet you thought Getting Tyson Jackson was a brilliant move! Getting Berry is like having a car that the clutch is going out, and putting on nice new shiny tires. We need to build the D-line, our secondary is not as weak as the d-line.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 04-26-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Insulting to members.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi;188597[B
    ]Trading down is easier said than done. [/B]And the fact is that more than anything else, our team needs talented football players, and Berry is certainly that.
    Good point and I at least hope we made an effort to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Getting the best player in a position is an ignorant way too draft, you draft by need, and a safety was not our biggest need. I don't like Herm Edwards, but how many of the guys drafted by him are starting for the chiefs now? I bet you thought Getting Tyson Jackson was a brilliant move, dumbass! Getting Berry is like having a car that the clutch is going out, and putting on nice new shiny tires. We need to build the D-line, our secondary is not as weak as the d-line, so shut up and quit acting like an dick.
    Most of the best talent evaluators in the league would disagree with your theory.

Getting the best player in a position is an ignorant way too draft, you draft by need, and a safety was not our biggest need. I don't like Herm Edwards, but how many of the guys drafted by him are starting for the chiefs now? I bet you thought Getting Tyson Jackson was a brilliant move, dumbass! Getting Berry is like having a car that the clutch is going out, and putting on nice new shiny tires. We need to build the D-line, our secondary is not as weak as the d-line, so shut up and quit acting like an dick.
    Getting Tyson Jackson *was* a great move. And getting Berry in the 1st is terrible only if we don't get a NT in the 2nd or 3rd. There wasn't a good enough NT to draft in the top-5.

What did you want Pioli to do? Trade down? No one wanted to trade up. Take Dan Williams? The guy went 26th (which makes me awfully curious).

If you accept Pioli's premises that (1) we have a legit LT; and (2) there was no NT worth a top-5 (or top-25) pick, then Berry was the best choice.

Kindle today will help at OLB

sergio kindle and mt cody are still on the board...along with golden tate

we have a great chance of filling a real need with our 2a pick

berry was a great pick

For you guys saying we needed a safety maybe so, but not as much as someone to stop the run. Last year our run defense was 31 second to worst, while our pass was not good it was 22 considerably higher then our run defense. We needed someone that can make tackles inside and plug gaping holes in our d-line. What we needed was a NT or a beast OLB to rush the qb so they don't have 2 minutes to throw the ball (which would help our current secondary out) or a ILB that can actually tackle.

Yeah and those type players are STILL on the board for our upcoming picks. There is NO Berry type player still on the board lol. Picking him was a NO BRAINER. I'm thankful we actually got great value for our pick. Berry will be a stud for KC.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    sergio kindle and mt cody are still on the board...along with golden tate

we have a great chance of filling a real need with our 2a pick

berry was a great pick
    If we fix our lines and other needs berry will be a great pick. I just hope we can do this with whos left.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast