Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We should not have got Berry

Default We should not have got Berry

For you guys saying we needed a safety maybe so, but not as much as someone to stop the run. Last year our run defense was 31 second to worst, while our pass was not good it was 22 considerably higher then our run defense. We needed someone that can make tackles inside and plug gaping holes in our d-line. What we needed was a NT or a beast OLB to rush the qb so they don't have 2 minutes to throw the ball (which would help our current secondary out) or a ILB that can actually tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    For you guys saying we needed a safety maybe so, but not as much as someone to stop the run. Last year our run defense was 31 second to worst, while our pass was not good it was 22 considerably higher then our run defense. We needed someone that can make tackles inside and plug gaping holes in our d-line. What we needed was a NT or a beast OLB to rush the qb so they don't have 2 minutes to throw the ball (which would help our current secondary out) or a ILB that can actually tackle.
    Its pretty obvious that the Chiefs didn't like Dan Williams - it wasn't a smokescreen. And there was no other 1st round NT.

Likewise, good ILBs can be found in the 2nd and 3rd. You don't need to spend a 1st rounder on one.

And they do seem happy with Albert at LT. I disagree, but they're the experts I guess.

Honestly, I never thought the Chiefs would pick Berry. Not in a million years. When Okung dropped, I was certain that would be our pick. But I understand why they did it. They didn't like the 1st round NT and they don't think we need a LT. So they picked a can't miss prospect at a position of need.

And make no mistake. Berry is going to be an excellent FS for us for a number of years. But it probably won't equate to wins unless we get some OL, LB, and (especially) NT help in Rounds 2 and 3.

im sure you know better than pioli, weiss, crennell, haley, and the entire scouting arm of the KC Chiefs.

They have a plan, not just for the first pick of the draft but for the ENTIRE DRAFT.

wait till the draft is over before you cry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    im sure you know better than pioli, weiss, crennell, haley, and the entire scouting arm of the KC Chiefs.

They have a plan, not just for the first pick of the draft but for the ENTIRE DRAFT.

wait till the draft is over before you cry too much.
    Looking at last years draft, I'm starting to think Pioli isn't the draft master everyone said he was. I hate how if you question a decision, your "crying" no I'm a fan that has an opinon just like you. What if Pioli picked up Tim Tebow would you say the same thing that he has a plan, yeah you probably would.

We will get an NT at some point in this draft. I'm pretty sure of that. It should be no surprise we didn't take Dan Williams, he didn't even get a private workout.

I felt the same way about LT for a while, but the fact remains that Albert excelled once we switched to more of a zone-blocking scheme. Now with Wiegmann and Lilja, we are practically built for this scheme. We just need a quicker RT.

Rotoworld is projecting Berry to at least start out at SS with Page at FS. I'm sure if Page doesn't get better than he's a candidate for free agency next season with Berry moving to FS though.

Also Charles Brown is still available, so a very good zone-blocking OT is still out there if we decide to go that route.

What an exciting draft so far, I'm really excited to see who we end up with in the 2nd.
    Last edited by yashi; 04-23-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    We will get an NT at some point in this draft. I'm pretty sure of that. It should be no surprise we didn't take Dan Williams, he didn't even get a private workout.

I felt the same way about LT for a while, but the fact remains that Albert excelled once we switched to more of a zone-blocking scheme. Now with Wiegmann and Lilja, we are practically built for this scheme. We just need a quicker RT.

Rotoworld is projecting Berry to at least start out at SS with Page at FS. I'm sure if Page doesn't get better than he's a candidate for free agency next season with Berry moving to FS though.

Also Charles Brown is still available, so a very good zone-blocking OT is still out there if we decide to go that route.

What an exciting draft so far, I'm really excited to see who we end up with in the 2nd.
    I forgot about Brown! OK, he should definitely be our 2a if he drops.

And we'd be nuts to start Berry at SS instead of FS. He's Ed Reed, not Troy Polamalu.

I can't complain about this pick as I had a genuine hope in getting either Berry or Taylor Mays. I'm happy although I still hold out some hope in picking Mays as unlikely as that may be and as strange as that may sound.

The reason I have little concern regarding a DT is I do not believe there wasn't anyone available that I would have been comfortable picking at 5 or even trading very far down in the 1st round for. You can count me in as one who would not be disappointed in landing Cody, but whatever happens, happens IMO we will get somebody in the upcoming rounds.

I do believe we should get Golden Tate however......
    Last edited by KristofLaw; 04-23-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Looking at last years draft, I'm starting to think Pioli isn't the draft master everyone said he was. I hate how if you question a decision, your "crying" no I'm a fan that has an opinon just like you. What if Pioli picked up Tim Tebow would you say the same thing that he has a plan, yeah you probably would.
    What if he passed on his pick completely or traded that pick to ESPN for the rights to Herm Edwards... You don't have much of a point. Berry was a legitimate choice in our position by almost every expert opinion. Never in a million years would Tebow have been "part of the plan".

By the way, it looks less like crying if you justify your position, attempt to structure it into a coherent sentence, and avoid lashing out at others. Example: Who do you suggest we take at the 5 spot? I'll give my reasons as to why I think we took Berry in the end.

An ILB wouldn't make any more sense than Berry as they're taken inside the top ten just as infrequently as safeties, and McClain isn't regarded as the same "can't miss" prospect that Berry is or Curry was last year.

Judging by how far Dan Williams fell, a bunch of teams saw something they didn't like in him. The Bills, Chargers, Fins and a few other teams all needed a NT and passed to fill positions of arguably less need. He was my pick at number five, but the Chiefs aren't alone in passing on him. I'd trust the personnel of multiple NFL teams over fans on most days.

They didn't want a tackle. Albert stepped it up last year when we had a running game to help out. He may not be elite yet, but he was nowhere near the bottom of the league's left tackles and apparently the brass hasn't given up on him as a LT or they have somebody else in mind. Personally, I hope it's Charles Brown.

Finally, an OLB would have been a stretch. We need an immediate impact player and don't have room to experiment with picks. I generally don't put much faith in "bust rates", but it's a little scarier when you pay a guy a bunch of money and then ask him to play a new position.

Thanks Aussie!

Just reading the articles on Berry, the guy succeeds at everything he does. A lot of the other top 10 draft picks already were $100k in debt on jewelry and cars (did you notice). Berry says he's going to buy a Camaro. I like the guys character, and he's a freak of nature that always has exceeded expectations. I never thought in a million years they'd take him, but I'm not disappointed that they did. This early 2nd round pick is going to be huge too, there is a lot of first round talent there. Even pick 50 we'll probably get a guy who can be a day 1 starter. I would quit complaining until after the draft.

personally i didn't think they would pick him either,but after listening and watching more about him i like the pick a lot.i really thought they were going to pick okung for sure also but there are a lot of good linemen out there and after seeing some of the picks after ours i don't think we made a dumb move as some others did

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast