Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congrats on getting Javier Arenas

Default Congrats on getting Javier Arenas

I am an Alabama and Titans fan, so I was really wanting Javy, but the Chiefs killed that, still, I dont see much commotion over him, so I wanted to tell you a little about him.

Javier Arenas was a lesser known guy in the Florida area. He was originally destined to Florida International until then headcoach Mike Shula extended an offer, most likely just to fill a roster spot.

He started day one as a return man, and he was good at it. So good infact, id wager for two straight years just watching him go was the most exciting part of our program.

Of course we landed Saban and there was alot of hubbub. Around the middle of 2007 Saban saw a bit more potential in him and converted him into a corner. He has been a corner for two full seasons, and he is NFL calibre. Of course height is a concern at his position, but not his instinctive nature nor his tackle making ability. He lacks size for the big hit, but he was pound for pound the strongest guy on the team, and he could bench over 400.

As a PR/KR, there is no one better at it in the draft. "But Kyle Wilson/Dexter McCluster are pretty good at it too". Yes, Ive seen highlights. They are good enough to be his backups. What makes his return game so special is not his speed or his wiggle(though he has it), it is his instinctive nature regarding where everyone is on the field as well as his ability to read, follow, and set up blocks. I feel this translates really well to the NFL.

At Alabama he had the nickname "Agent 28" which isnt just a coincidence since "Agent 0" is his cousin. As an Alabama fan, I will be honest and say ill miss him more than Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson, just to give you an idea of what kind of impact player he was.

Arenas is for sure going to be our KR/PR. McCluster did a little return stuff in college, but he wasn't anything special in that area. McCluster will play the slot and Arenas will be KR/PR/Nickel CB. I'm pretty excited to see him. We were TERRIBLE in the return game last year. It felt like Haley was yelling at Bobby Wade after every return.

Thanks for the info on Arenas.

thanks! im excited!

Has anyone given any thought to giving Berry a shot at KR/PR?

In all of the highlight reels I have seen of him that is clearly his most impressive ability, is the stunning returns of turnovers. He clearly has a nack for running with the football.

I'd really like to see The Chiefs take a look at him as a KR/PR on top of FS/SS.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    Thanks man ! I really was stoked about getting him and think that putting him in a nickle packages will be awesome especially with Berry Welcome to Chiefs crowd and hope your bama boy is a pro bowler Well Javier anyways sorry McClain got sent to the black hole lol
    He wont be a nickle, he is going to end being our starting 2nd CB.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    He wont be a nickle, he is going to end being our starting 2nd CB.
    Maybe in 2011. In 2010 he'll be our slot CB.

From what is being said he fits the bill as a nickel CB forever. Excellent at blitzing, strong, and good at warding off blockers with his hands, but lacking the speed and the man-coverage skills to cover out wide. I think we may see Brandon Carr improve as the pass rush improves. Our secondary is looking really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    people forget to recognize that he is a good pass rusher who can be used effectively in nickle blitz packages
    I head 3-4 teams do those occasionally.

This guy can help our team at KR/PR and CB. This guy can potentially help 2 out of 3 phases of the football team. I'm willing to give him a shot.

Like others have said, I won't be shocked at all if he beats out Carr as our 2nd starting CB. Did anyone else watch the Denver game when Carr got abused by Jabar Gaffney? Josh McDaniels abused Carr in that game. The WR matchup Carr was responsible for(gaffney) ended up having something 12 catches in the 1st half of that game and went for a total of 213 yards. Just saying, this team needed to get better at CB as well.

Arenas will help this team in lots of ways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12