Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats on getting Javier Arenas

Default Congrats on getting Javier Arenas

I am an Alabama and Titans fan, so I was really wanting Javy, but the Chiefs killed that, still, I dont see much commotion over him, so I wanted to tell you a little about him.

Javier Arenas was a lesser known guy in the Florida area. He was originally destined to Florida International until then headcoach Mike Shula extended an offer, most likely just to fill a roster spot.

He started day one as a return man, and he was good at it. So good infact, id wager for two straight years just watching him go was the most exciting part of our program.

Of course we landed Saban and there was alot of hubbub. Around the middle of 2007 Saban saw a bit more potential in him and converted him into a corner. He has been a corner for two full seasons, and he is NFL calibre. Of course height is a concern at his position, but not his instinctive nature nor his tackle making ability. He lacks size for the big hit, but he was pound for pound the strongest guy on the team, and he could bench over 400.

As a PR/KR, there is no one better at it in the draft. "But Kyle Wilson/Dexter McCluster are pretty good at it too". Yes, Ive seen highlights. They are good enough to be his backups. What makes his return game so special is not his speed or his wiggle(though he has it), it is his instinctive nature regarding where everyone is on the field as well as his ability to read, follow, and set up blocks. I feel this translates really well to the NFL.

At Alabama he had the nickname "Agent 28" which isnt just a coincidence since "Agent 0" is his cousin. As an Alabama fan, I will be honest and say ill miss him more than Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson, just to give you an idea of what kind of impact player he was.

Quote Originally Posted by joeman546 View Post
    I am an Alabama and Titans fan, so I was really wanting Javy, but the Chiefs killed that, still, I dont see much commotion over him, so I wanted to tell you a little about him.

Javier Arenas was a lesser known guy in the Florida area. He was originally destined to Florida International until then headcoach Mike Shula extended an offer, most likely just to fill a roster spot.

He started day one as a return man, and he was good at it. So good infact, id wager for two straight years just watching him go was the most exciting part of our program.

Of course we landed Saban and there was alot of hubbub. Around the middle of 2007 Saban saw a bit more potential in him and converted him into a corner. He has been a corner for two full seasons, and he is NFL calibre. Of course height is a concern at his position, but not his instinctive nature nor his tackle making ability. He lacks size for the big hit, but he was pound for pound the strongest guy on the team, and he could bench over 400.

As a PR/KR, there is no one better at it in the draft. "But Kyle Wilson/Dexter McCluster are pretty good at it too". Yes, Ive seen highlights. They are good enough to be his backups. What makes his return game so special is not his speed or his wiggle(though he has it), it is his instinctive nature regarding where everyone is on the field as well as his ability to read, follow, and set up blocks. I feel this translates really well to the NFL.

At Alabama he had the nickname "Agent 28" which isnt just a coincidence since "Agent 0" is his cousin. As an Alabama fan, I will be honest and say ill miss him more than Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson, just to give you an idea of what kind of impact player he was.
    Cool, thanks for the info and welcome to the Crowd.

Thanks man ! I really was stoked about getting him and think that putting him in a nickle packages will be awesome especially with Berry Welcome to Chiefs crowd and hope your bama boy is a pro bowler Well Javier anyways sorry McClain got sent to the black hole lol

this was just another wasted pick,im a alabama fan and i was not looking for the chiefs to draft him,not that he is not any good,but our needs were greater at other positions

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    Thanks man ! I really was stoked about getting him and think that putting him in a nickle packages will be awesome especially with Berry Welcome to Chiefs crowd and hope your bama boy is a pro bowler Well Javier anyways sorry McClain got sent to the black hole lol
    Most of us were saddened by that. He is the kind of guy you can build a D around, but they have a rep as a career killer in the SEC.

Also, i forgot to add that since he is kind of a raw athlete, the team would be wise(and saban stated he intended to do this if he had more time with him) to have a few plays on O with him in there in a few years.
    Last edited by joeman546; 04-24-2010 at 01:41 AM.

While I don't think it was a wasted pick, it was a little bit of an odd pick after the pickup of McCluster who would very likely have made a very good returner.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have two guys that can return and with the fact that one plays offense and one plays defense as well it gives a lot of utility options. That is if they pan out.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

people forget to recognize that he is a good pass rusher who can be used effectively in nickle blitz packages

I dont think we got Mcluster for a return man though He will be a big part of our offense as a WR

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    I dont think we got Mcluster for a return man though He will be a big part of our offense as a WR
    I am going to modify my opinion of the pick until I see how they plan on using him. Perhaps Pioli does have something different in mind other than a return man and they think he will make something happen for this team.

You also have to understand that with the holes that we have, we really needed a different player at this pick. That of course is my opinion and everyone has one.

the fact that Philadelphia was after this kid means a lot as well. I am not trying to say the guy is not a good player, I just don't think he is the player that we needed at that pick.

What do I matter though?

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by kcnation View Post
    this was just another wasted pick,im a alabama fan and i was not looking for the chiefs to draft him,not that he is not any good,but our needs were greater at other positions

Don't call him wasted till he proves him that way, I thought he was an odd pick,especially since there was so much lalent avaitible, but we have a need for him, plus hes a dual purpose player, Would he have been my pick???? NO!
    But he has great protencial, serves a need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast