Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, Herm built a GREAT team...

Default Apparently, Herm built a GREAT team...

...because Pioli is drafting like we're just a #3 receiver and a nickel CB away from a Super Bowl...

I'm tired of ragging on Pioli/Haley. I figured they'd be helped out a little more this year with better coordinators and their own scouting department, but it seems like all that didn't even help.

I was disappointed in the Berry pick but felt like I could look past it because it filled a need. I could even look past taking McCluster that early because we DO need a #3 receiver and a return man.

But the carnage didn't stop there... Instead of drafting a NT to anchor the defense or an ILB to be the true leader they NEED, the Chiefs instead, decided to reinforce their nickel CB and PR positions with a relatively slow and undersized Arenas.

But hey, at least there are still some good prospects at NT and ILB when we pick in the third... so, naturally, we go OG... to put behind Waters, Lilja, Niswanger, and Weigman... OUTSTANDING.

But WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!! To our surprise, we jump back into the third and go after some more defensive hel... oh, lol... wait. Never mind. We decide to reach for another player who could've been had in the 4th or perhaps even the 5th... to make the team behind Pope and Cottam. Gotta love trading away two picks to get back in the third to take this guy... stroke of genius.

So, now we get to wait around till the 5th round to get more players of the Colin Brown ilk to round out yet another stellar Pioli draft...

I guess Pioli figures Eric Berry is good enough by himself to turn this defense from a 30th ranked joke to a top 10 juggernaut. I'm excited to see it.

But there's still that question... who's at the NT spot this season? Is it gonna be Dorsey? If so, who do you put on the outside to replace Dorsey? Is the trio of DJ, Williams, Mays gonna be enough again in the middle?

I guess we're ok with O'Callaghan at RT.

NT, ILB, DE, RT????

OR

Nickel CB, #3 WR, 3rd string OG/TE??

This is gonna be an extremely hard draft to defend... even if last year's draft didn't happen.

I think there's something to be said about getting some play-makers on this team. The first 3 picks are definitely guys who fit that mold. I just think they were taken one year too early.

I thought we needed an ILB and a NT to build the 3-4 defense around. I keep reading that there will be a bumper crop of NTs next year in the draft. Maybe we stick with Smith and Edwards through this year as a stop gap to get to next April... who knows... one can hope I guess.

Perhaps the Chiefs believe Belcher, Mays, and DJ are enough to build around at the ILB positions. Hopefully Studebaker is everything they hope he can be. If he's the next Vrabel, then great.

Berry, Page, Flowers, and Arenas in the secondary will be fun to watch.

McCluster is going to shock some people with his play-breaking abilities and YAC is DEFINITELY something that will help Matt Cassel and the offense as a whole. I hate the TE pick. He's undersized, slow, has durability issues and doesn't block well. The only thing you can really say about the guy is that if you get the ball anywhere around him, he'll catch it... (in theory).

ILB and S in the 5th round... too little too late to make an impact.
    Last edited by texaschief; 04-24-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Hey, can you link to that? Because I'm seeing nothing but Cs and Ds.

And you'd assume that the coach/GM would be smarter than the fans. You'd also be forgetting Peterson/Edwards.
    All the grades I have been seeing has been on TV but i will look on NFL.com and ESPN.com

As for the peterson/edwards comment.. you got me there

I agree the chiefs should have drafted a NT but i dont think that makes the entire draft just terrible.. we got some good play makers that will improve the team instantly

Off the subject of NT/LB i really wanted Golden Tate but obviously that didnt happen but i hope if denario alexander doesnt get drafted that they bring him in

Quote Originally Posted by diehardkcfan View Post
    All the grades I have been seeing has been on TV but i will look on NFL.com and ESPN.com

As for the peterson/edwards comment.. you got me there

I agree the chiefs should have drafted a NT but i dont think that makes the entire draft just terrible.. we got some good play makers that will improve the team instantly

Off the subject of NT/LB i really wanted Golden Tate but obviously that didnt happen but i hope if denario alexander doesnt get drafted that they bring him in
    I think that if you were ok with taking Tate in the 2nd round, you'll be happier with McCluster. I think getting McCluster as a slot receiver was probably the best selection Pioli has made in his two years here.

The pick that bothered me would be trading up to take the TE.. they could have waited on him but if he stays healthy he could be a good TE.. he is an athlete with good hands that can make difficult catches in traffic and seems to find the endzone

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    Why don't you guys all go be general managers since your obviously smarter than Pioli and company.
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by endzonewillie View Post
    I believe some people are drawn to teams having a tough time because they enjoy complaining so much that until that teams starts winning they have a place to complain their azz off. I prefer to win myself and it starts in 2010!
    THIS!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I don't know if anybody has read the Kendrick Lewis O&A yet but he and McCluster are good friends/roommates from Ole Miss. He made the comment that McCluster was originally a WR coming out of high school. Which means Ole Miss converted him to a RB and we will now be converting him back to WR. I like the thought of having a speedy guy in the slot who can catch a crossing route and make people miss.

Also, Arenas is regarded as the best blitzing corner in the draft plus he is great in man coverage. I think he will fit in great at the Nickel back. He will be great if we blitz him to create pressure, he can cover, and he is a sure tackler so he should be great on the edge in run support.

Well, it appears that Pioli and team think that the defensive backfield and receivers were our biggest needs. 3 defensive backs and two receivers. And an offensive lineman.

We will see

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Well, it appears that Pioli and team think that the defensive backfield and receivers were our biggest needs. 3 defensive backs and two receivers. And an offensive lineman.
    e
    We will see
    Well we still have the free agency period to get through yet. Maybe we find an experienced nt and linebacker there. Who knows. Maybe Pioli has something in the works..
    SHUT IT

I hope all the players drafted are great. Just as Bwilliams and anyone else here who is upset does.

But absolutely everyone here knew that our biggest deficiencies last season were Run-D, Pass-rush and Pass-protection. We ranked near the bottom of the league in each of those areas.

Now, knowing this, as everybody does, that leaves certain positions as suspect for fault.

Run-D? NT, DE and ILB are the core of positions responsible. Having drafted DEs with our fitst two picks last season, it leaves us looking for upgrades at NT and ILB.

We didn't do that.

Pass-rush? Well, in a 3-4 defense, that responsibility is primarily on the OLBs.

We didn't do that either.

Pass-protection? Well, this one is easily dismissed, eventhough we were among the worst in The NFL last season.

Dismissal A) Albert had a couple of good games at LOT, so he is gonna be a star!

Dismissal B) We are switching to a "zone-blocking scheme. No need for real blockers.

Fine. dismiss that one and we'll address the first two...

We were about as terrible as a team can be in those two areas, and the only player brought in to address those issues was (DT) Shaun Smith.

This is a guy with 27 starts in seven seasons, with nothing impressive on his resume.

Maybe that guy will be great. No real reason to think he will, but maybe.

But, at this point, this one, very unimpressive, player is the only move to address our biggest two problem areas. We ranked as the 2nd worst in both Pass-rush and Run-D in The NFL in '09.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you need to find some help for those positions through the draft, especially with such high draft position, and an extra 2nd round pick.

Unfortunately, we had someone overthinking the whole thing, and wound up getting part-time players as opposed to full-time starters that addressed our problem areas.

"If you were drafting for us, and getting players that might help stop the run our pressure the QB, then we would be 0-48."

Of course, common sense is always a losing philosophy.

And whatever guy has the job is obviously smarter than everyone else. (Herm Edwards) Oops. Slipped. (Carl Peterson) Ooops. Forgive me. Didn't mean to. (Rod Marinelli, Steve Spurrier, Matt Millen, AL Davis, Bobby Petrino, Scott Linehan...) Ah hell, the list is endless.

For those who DON'T know...

If CHIEF31 and TEXASCHIEF agree on something, there should be a TON of red flags raising...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast