Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close losses

Default Close losses

Last year there were a lot of close losses that could have easily been won with a few more quality players. That is another reason i believe the chiefs are not far away from being a playoff team again! To all the people that say it will be a long time before anything good happens, I'll have to strongly disagree, due to many reason, including the 'close losses'.

Just wanted to remind everyone of this before they start worrying about the productivity of the team if they don't like the draft choices so far.

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    and a chris chambers dropped pass
    Chris Chambers was not on the team at that time

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    There are a lot of reasons this team lost games. We cannot forget that this is a team sport. Yeah we have lost a lot of games by a small amount of points. But you have to look at those opportunities that were blown.

We had many times when our offensive line broke down and Cassel was sacked or threw the ball away. There was a couple of games were he was pressured to throw an interception. That is what happens when your offensive line sucks. Every team knows that young inexperienced QBs will do that.

There are also many of times where the defense blew coverage and allowed a long gain. Or worse, they were caught on a running play and they allowed that extra seven points that we needed to win the game.

The point of thread is well taken. With a couple of key players in some key positions, those games get turned around. It is tough for a team to lose all the time, but lets hope the losing mentality is gone this year.
    I don't disagree at all. However, I do wonder what impact firing the OC and throwing out the playbook 2 wks before the season began...may have had on our offense overall. As well, the Larry Johnson fiasco, Bowe suspension, many players brought together for the first time, new GM & coaches to those who were Chiefs the year prior and having to adjust to those changes.

There were so many highly unusual negative factors & circumstances for an NFL team that took place with the Chiefs last season, that I feel it's next to impossible to fairly judge. The team as well as individual players, had to be affected in a negative aspect with focusing on and playing to full potential, including our OL.

The 2010 season will be one of which a much more fair assessment can be made, as hopefully the team & coaching staff won't be faced with the same negative factors & circumstances they were last season.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I think the point of the thread is simply to point out that there is always positive to be found in negative.

As far as close games...losing a game by one score is considered a close game by many. We did lose several games by a score.

I was at the Oakland opener, and if memory is correct, statistically we won that game, on paper where it counted we lost. I was at the Cleveland game, and I can guarantee there was a bad pass interference call that cost us that game...I saw it with my own eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    and a chris chambers dropped pass
    My apologies, I did not see Cleveland in there

I think the point of the thread is simply to point out that there is always positive to be found in negative.

As far as close games...losing a game by one score is considered a close game by many. We did lose several games by a score.

I was at the Oakland opener, and if memory is correct, statistically we won that game, on paper where it counted we lost. I was at the Cleveland game, and I can guarantee there was a bad pass interference call that cost us that game...I saw it with my own eyes.
    I just feel like it is closed-minded to look at it that way, unless you also look at it from the opposite angle.

Including games that we won by 8 points ( A TD with a 2-poit conversion) the we could have lost 15 games in '09.

I know we just want to see thing from a more positive perspective.

But I hate to do that. I feel a need to see things from an accurate perspective. So if I am going to say we lost some close ones that we could have won, then I have to also see that we won some close games that we could have lost.

It helps keep me from windng up with that horrible feeling of disapointment, while not depriving me of the chance to be surprised.

I kind of pride myself on having a pretty good idea of what to expect from the team.

I had a little bit of disapointment in '04 and a slight surprise in '06. But I have not been shocked with the results of a Chiefs season for quite some time.

Playoffs? Now that's a different story.

I don't disagree at all. However, I do wonder what impact firing the OC and throwing out the playbook 2 wks before the season began...may have had on our offense overall. As well, the Larry Johnson fiasco, Bowe suspension, many players brought together for the first time, new GM & coaches to those who were Chiefs the year prior and having to adjust to those changes.

There were so many highly unusual negative factors & circumstances for an NFL team that took place with the Chiefs last season, that I feel it's next to impossible to fairly judge. The team as well as individual players, had to be affected in a negative aspect with focusing on and playing to full potential, including our OL.

The 2010 season will be one of which a much more fair assessment can be made, as hopefully the team & coaching staff won't be faced with the same negative factors & circumstances they were last season.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

With our new coaches and real play calling we would have won at least 3 maybe 5 more games!!!!

Our OL is not nearly as bad as ppl here are making it sound, when the QB holds the ball too long,(Because he has a bad hapit of doing so) or because the WR's are slow and can't get open, its not nesesarily due to a bad OL.....The Pats had a very GOOD OL!

Come on my fellow CHIEFS FANS get on the HAPPY WAGON ... Its a good year to be a Chiefs Fan!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 04-25-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: miss spelled

Again, I totally agree with Connie jo and Chiefsfan 70, Everything has changed from the years past. I for one have not felt so good for soooo long about this upcomming season. And our offseason isn't even done yet. We have so much to look forward to. This will be a make it or break it year for certin players (Bowe) I cant wait for the Monday night game vs San Diego! GO CHIEFS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12