Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently, Herm built a GREAT team...

Default Apparently, Herm built a GREAT team...

...because Pioli is drafting like we're just a #3 receiver and a nickel CB away from a Super Bowl...

I'm tired of ragging on Pioli/Haley. I figured they'd be helped out a little more this year with better coordinators and their own scouting department, but it seems like all that didn't even help.

I was disappointed in the Berry pick but felt like I could look past it because it filled a need. I could even look past taking McCluster that early because we DO need a #3 receiver and a return man.

But the carnage didn't stop there... Instead of drafting a NT to anchor the defense or an ILB to be the true leader they NEED, the Chiefs instead, decided to reinforce their nickel CB and PR positions with a relatively slow and undersized Arenas.

But hey, at least there are still some good prospects at NT and ILB when we pick in the third... so, naturally, we go OG... to put behind Waters, Lilja, Niswanger, and Weigman... OUTSTANDING.

But WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!! To our surprise, we jump back into the third and go after some more defensive hel... oh, lol... wait. Never mind. We decide to reach for another player who could've been had in the 4th or perhaps even the 5th... to make the team behind Pope and Cottam. Gotta love trading away two picks to get back in the third to take this guy... stroke of genius.

So, now we get to wait around till the 5th round to get more players of the Colin Brown ilk to round out yet another stellar Pioli draft...

I guess Pioli figures Eric Berry is good enough by himself to turn this defense from a 30th ranked joke to a top 10 juggernaut. I'm excited to see it.

But there's still that question... who's at the NT spot this season? Is it gonna be Dorsey? If so, who do you put on the outside to replace Dorsey? Is the trio of DJ, Williams, Mays gonna be enough again in the middle?

I guess we're ok with O'Callaghan at RT.

NT, ILB, DE, RT????

OR

Nickel CB, #3 WR, 3rd string OG/TE??

This is gonna be an extremely hard draft to defend... even if last year's draft didn't happen.

Well I guess we'll see once the season starts.

I agree we needed some basic needs met in the draft - as I stated earlier - rebuild the engine before installing the kick-a$$ stereo. Apparently Pioli/Haley think otherwise...
    SHUT IT

I can defend the 2009 draft by saying that we only had two picks in the first three rounds, and we used those picks on a pair of bookend 3-4 DEs. The Jackson pick wasn't terrible (even less so if you looked at how badly Curry did in Seattle). Rounds 4-7 were a bunch of backups and projects (and a legit kicker), but that's kind of what you expect out of Rounds 4-7. Would I have gone differently? Sure. But it's a bit unrealistic to expect to be able to find a bunch of starters in the lower rounds. If it turns out that Magee, Jackson, Cassel, and Succop are starting for the chiefs for the appreciable future, I think it was a solid B draft.

Now, the 2010 draft doesn't get cut this slack. Why? First, the staff had a full year to review personnel and see our weaknesses first hand. Second, we had four picks in the first three rounds (eventually 5 picks). Getting five possible starters at positions of need didn't seem unrealistic.

What are our biggest needs? Stopping the run, rushing the QB, and protecting the QB. In that order.

Well, we gave at least lip service to that last one by picking Asamoah. A very good pick I can't complain about. He should push Lilja to the bench where he belongs.

As to the first two: WTF?! I like Berry as a player. He is going to be a top-5 FS in a year or two. I can even stomach the pick on the grounds that the Chiefs staff clearly didn't like Dan Williams at NT, didn't want to replace Albert at LT, weren't able to trade down, and didn't see a better player at a bigger need on the board. Would I have gone McClain or JPP first? Definitely. But I get that there are good ILBs and OLBs later in the draft.

Which of course bring us to Round 2, where we refuse to draft ILBs, OLBs, NTs, RTs, or even a SS. Instead we draft a homeless man's Reggie Bush. We follow that up by drafting a dime corner and KR (thanks for all the memories Tony!). In the 3rd, we get Asamoah. A good pick. We then blow that good will by trading up (for whatever reason) to pick an oft-injured TE.

We'll get to follow that up with two projects in the 5th.

So, to repeat, our biggest needs were stopping the run, rushing the passer, and protecting the QB. We have addressed those needs by:

1. Signing Shaun Smith (a career sub-backup) at NT

2. Signing Lilja (small and injured) and Weigmann (old and small) at RG and C

3. Drafting a FS, project slot WR, dime CB/KR, oft-injured TE, and a RG to upgrade Lilja.

That's it. Consider me under-frickin-whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    I can defend the 2009 draft by saying that we only had two picks in the first three rounds, and we used those picks on a pair of bookend 3-4 DEs. The Jackson pick wasn't terrible (even less so if you looked at how badly Curry did in Seattle). Rounds 4-7 were a bunch of backups and projects (and a legit kicker), but that's kind of what you expect out of Rounds 4-7. Would I have gone differently? Sure. But it's a bit unrealistic to expect to be able to find a bunch of starters in the lower rounds. If it turns out that Magee, Jackson, Cassel, and Succop are starting for the chiefs for the appreciable future, I think it was a solid B draft.

Now, the 2010 draft doesn't get cut this slack. Why? First, the staff had a full year to review personnel and see our weaknesses first hand. Second, we had four picks in the first three rounds (eventually 5 picks). Getting five possible starters at positions of need didn't seem unrealistic.

What are our biggest needs? Stopping the run, rushing the QB, and protecting the QB. In that order.

Well, we gave at least lip service to that last one by picking Asamoah. A very good pick I can't complain about. He should push Lilja to the bench where he belongs.

As to the first two: WTF?! I like Berry as a player. He is going to be a top-5 FS in a year or two. I can even stomach the pick on the grounds that the Chiefs staff clearly didn't like Dan Williams at NT, didn't want to replace Albert at LT, weren't able to trade down, and didn't see a better player at a bigger need on the board. Would I have gone McClain or JPP first? Definitely. But I get that there are good ILBs and OLBs later in the draft.

Which of course bring us to Round 2, where we refuse to draft ILBs, OLBs, NTs, RTs, or even a SS. Instead we draft a homeless man's Reggie Bush. We follow that up by drafting a dime corner and KR (thanks for all the memories Tony!). In the 3rd, we get Asamoah. A good pick. We then blow that good will by trading up (for whatever reason) to pick an oft-injured TE.

We'll get to follow that up with two projects in the 5th.

So, to repeat, our biggest needs were stopping the run, rushing the passer, and protecting the QB. We have addressed those needs by:

1. Signing Shaun Smith (a career sub-backup) at NT

2. Signing Lilja (small and injured) and Weigmann (old and small) at RG and C

3. Drafting a FS, project slot WR, dime CB/KR, oft-injured TE, and a RG to upgrade Lilja.

That's it. Consider me under-frickin-whelmed.
    you are forgetting the biggest key we actually have coaches that can teach the last three years draft picks what the hell they are doing.a great coaching staff wich weiss and cronnell are is one of the biggest keys in winning in the nfl.picks like dorsey,mcgee,jackson and all the other 2-4 year players on this roster are no longer being coached and learning techniuqe from coaches like crumright,gailey and all the other sub par coaches that were a part of the chiefs teams in years past.just look at what the donkeys defense turned into last year with a new cordinator.and their dumb###es got rid of him lol

Why don't you guys all go be general managers since your obviously smarter than Pioli and company.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    Why don't you guys all go be general managers since your obviously smarter than Pioli and company.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    you are forgetting the biggest key we actually have coaches that can teach the last three years draft picks what the hell they are doing.a great coaching staff wich weiss and cronnell are is one of the biggest keys in winning in the nfl.picks like dorsey,mcgee,jackson and all the other 2-4 year players on this roster are no longer being coached and learning techniuqe from coaches like crumright,gailey and all the other sub par coaches that were a part of the chiefs teams in years past.just look at what the donkeys defense turned into last year with a new cordinator.and their dumb###es got rid of him lol
    (1) Crennel and Weis were good coordinators for three Patriots SB teams. That doesn't give the magic ability to make untalented players into talented ones. Last time Shaun Smith was coached by Crennel, he was dogs***. Is Crennel coaching him again going to turn him legit? Jermaine Urbhan was a backup/special teamer with the Cards? Does playing with Haley again turn him into a starting WR?

The schemes we run now will almost certainly be better than the schemes run in 2009. But all the best schemers can do is hid the weaknesses of out team right now. Working with Weis is not going to make Lilja/Weigmann bigger or healtheir. It won't make Dorsey or DJ sprout four inches, gain thirty pounds, and turn them into a NT or OLB. What do you think these guys are going to do, exactly?

(2) At the beginning of the draft, we had below-average starters at the following positions: NT, C, RG, RT, ILB, OLB, and SS. NT, C, RG, RT, ILB, OLB, and SS are more important than blocking TE, KR/PR, dime CB, FS, or Wildcat PLAYMAKER.

We solved our RG problem in this draft, I think, in Asamoah. We didn't solve the other ones.

You cannot win in the NFL without talent at key positions. You can't. Guys like Shaun Smith, Ryan Lilja, Weigmann, and the rest of our free agents are not very talented, either because of age, injury, or just lack of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    When the position's open in a couple years, I'll apply. How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    When the position's open in a couple years, I'll apply. How about that?
    Open in a couple years my @ss lol. But i will support you buddy!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast