Thread: Pioli average at drafing genius at free agency

Hybrid View

Default Pioli average at drafing genius at free agency

After the last two drafts, I feel like Pioli is not great at drafting I was not impressed by this draft, but last year we picked up some good players in the free agency. This year we we're even better Thomas Jones, Lilja, and Weigman all great pick ups.

Forgot chambers

Its still a bit to early to judge last years draft and we can not even begin to judge this years draft seeing that they have not played a down on NFL ball.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Its still a bit to early to judge last years draft and we can not even begin to judge this years draft seeing that they have not played a down on NFL ball.
    We'll know more about last year's draft after this year's spring training.

I would guess that Donald Washington will be gone since we picked a lot of defensive backs this season and we still have Page, Carr and Flowers. Javarris Williams might make it to the practice squad, but I doubt that he makes the final roster as it would be odd for us to keep 4 running backs in the regular season.

It is a toss up for the three tight ends to see which will make it, Cottam, O'Connell or Moaeki. I think Cottam gets the nod to make the team for his size, and Moaeki has better hands than O'Connell. O'Connell probably gets the nod to not make the team.

Colin Brown might also be gone if he does not heal up in time, and I am doubtful that Quinten Lawrence has much of a chance since he was drafted as a return man last season. He really did not play at receiver all that much last season and I would expect him to go bye bye.

The biggest story about last year's draft though is the fact that we got Vrabel and Cassel. This was a huge part of the draft last year that goes beyond the players that were selected in the draft.

I think if you remove Cassel and Vrabel from the equation, last year's draft was a C- in retrospect, but when you put Cassel and Vrabel into consideration, then that has to go up to a B+ or an A-. Those two aquisitions alone allowed us to focus on other areas of need other than linebacker and quarterback that many felt needed to addressed.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I would guess that Donald Washington will be gone since we picked a lot of defensive backs this season and we still have Page, Carr and Flowers. Javarris Williams might make it to the practice squad, but I doubt that he makes the final roster as it would be odd for us to keep 4 running backs in the regular season.

It is a toss up for the three tight ends to see which will make it, Cottam, O'Connell or Moaeki. I think Cottam gets the nod to make the team for his size, and Moaeki has better hands than O'Connell. O'Connell probably gets the nod to not make the team.

Colin Brown might also be gone if he does not heal up in time, and I am doubtful that Quinten Lawrence has much of a chance since he was drafted as a return man last season. He really did not play at receiver all that much last season and I would expect him to go bye bye.

The biggest story about last year's draft though is the fact that we got Vrabel and Cassel. This was a huge part of the draft last year that goes beyond the players that were selected in the draft.

I think if you remove Cassel and Vrabel from the equation, last year's draft was a C- in retrospect, but when you put Cassel and Vrabel into consideration, then that has to go up to a B+ or an A-. Those two acquisitions alone allowed us to focus on other areas of need other than linebacker and quarterback that many felt needed to addressed.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here- spring is going to tell us a lot. I think this year will actually be better about telling us about last year's draft. It will be interesting to see how paying attention to the secondary will maybe help a pass rush by creating some hesitance to throw down field- in theory.

Picking up John Henderson would be great.

But as far as the TE situation- isn't Cottam still injured and healing as well?

jb

i believe the DBs we will keep will be: berry, flowers, lewis, arenas, carr, leggett, morgan, mcgraw, and washington...page is questionable given that apparently him and haley butted heads a lot, but i think we need the depth and experience