Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big John Henderson

Default Big John Henderson

John Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today.

the giants tried to get him in for a visit, but Pioli beat them to it. His first stop in free agency is Kansas City tomorrow, Tuesday April 27th.

Henderson, who is a massive 6'7" and 345 pounds, will be 31 when camp starts, but he could easily be the stop-gap we need on the defensive line until we can draft and develop a nose tackle.

If he clears his physical and we sign him, then I am saying this offseason is an unequivocal success. Young, intelligent, high-character leaders, and solid, proven vets.

man oh man this would take all of the sting out of not drafting a big ugly to help the run defense. I mean, i would just be pleased as punch.
    Last edited by Coach; 04-28-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    At first I was thinking he's a bit too lanky to play the nose in a 3-4, but I'm sure his strength would make up for it, and he'd probably be a lot better than Smith or Edwards.
    I worry a little about that as well. He is listed at 6'7". Leverage may be an issue, but he is 345 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pantherfan View Post
    Too tall and plays way too high to be a 3-4 NT...He would be a DE
    That's possible. I'm sure they will be looking for that in his workouts on Wedensday.

This is why we didn't go after a NT
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I really hope that we are at least thinking about him. I think he would be a good help to this football team. Would not mind seeing him signed at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    He played DE in Jacksonville?!?! How big was their NT? Is Jax switching to a 4-3, and dont have a use for him, or do they want to go younger and cheaper?

If there are no big red flags (injuries, off-field issues that havent come to surface yet), I would hope we pick him up, and for a couple years, not just one. It would be good to have a big guy like that to teach the NT we draft next year how to be a beast.
    the jags run a 4-3 but like many teams, run a few variations of the 3-4...he was a DT in the 4-3 but they ran him as a DE in the 3-4 formations

this would be a very solid pickup

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I really hope that we are at least thinking about him. I think he would be a good help to this football team. Would not mind seeing him signed at all.
    he has a visit scheduled. chiefs first ones to work him out.

If he leaves without a contract, it's because romeo doesn't like him.

Henderson to visit Chiefs & Giants (Chiefs 1st on Wednesday) -

DT John Henderson Will Visit Chiefs and Giants

Quote: For Henderson, Kansas City is likely the more attractive option as New York is already stacked on the d-line, including Linval Joseph whom they drafted in the second-round of the draft on Friday.

The belief is that he could transition smoothly into the Chiefs 3-4 defense. He could stay at tackle or try to slim down and transition to defensive end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I believe we could rotate him in at all 3 DL spots, NT on running downs & LE or RE taking advantage of the best match-up on passing downs. This would improve our run D, while still using Big John at his biggest strength which is putting pressure on the passer.

A line of Dorsey, Henderson, Smith & Hali in our infrequent 4-3 looks should be effective as well. Could you imagine Dorsey & Smith in the middle, with Hali & Henderson getting after the QB from the end spots once in a while

As far as slimming down to play DE, that will happen naturally at Haley's fat camp, like it or not lol.

Please, wrap him up Pioli!!!
    Last edited by Chiefscrazy; 04-27-2010 at 10:51 AM.

I agree!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast