Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Big John Henderson

Default Big John Henderson

John Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today.

the giants tried to get him in for a visit, but Pioli beat them to it. His first stop in free agency is Kansas City tomorrow, Tuesday April 27th.

Henderson, who is a massive 6'7" and 345 pounds, will be 31 when camp starts, but he could easily be the stop-gap we need on the defensive line until we can draft and develop a nose tackle.

If he clears his physical and we sign him, then I am saying this offseason is an unequivocal success. Young, intelligent, high-character leaders, and solid, proven vets.

man oh man this would take all of the sting out of not drafting a big ugly to help the run defense. I mean, i would just be pleased as punch.
    Last edited by Coach; 04-28-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nothing new to report. Rumored interest by the Browns and the Giants.

He hasn't visited yet, that doesn't mean that he won't.
    I would love to see that he is going to visit KC. But the longer it goes the more i doubt that its going to happen.

"John Henderson, probowl defensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was released today."

I don't mean to pi$$ in the punch bowl guys, but he was "Released" for some reason. Now, maybe they're real good up front and need the salary room, although, it's not a cap year as I understand it. I'd like to know more about why he was released before I throw the party. However, I do want to throw a party.

Pros are released and become productive on new teams all the time. Kurt Warner bounced around before having one of the best seasons in a hall of fame career. Weigmann made a a Pro Bowl when we let him go to the Donks, and just look what happened to the Texans D when he signed with them.

For whatever reason, Jacksonville drafted DL this year, there wasn't a long term spot for him, so they cut him lose. If he fits a system, then by all means bring him in. Pro Bowl talent doesn't just get thrown at your doorstep.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Pros are released and become productive on new teams all the time. Kurt Warner bounced around before having one of the best seasons in a hall of fame career. Weigmann made a a Pro Bowl when we let him go to the Donks, and just look what happened to the Texans D when he signed with them.

For whatever reason, Jacksonville drafted DL this year, there wasn't a long term spot for him, so they cut him lose. If he fits a system, then by all means bring him in. Pro Bowl talent doesn't just get thrown at your doorstep.
    Not sure why he was cut. My guess is that he wasn't a good fit for their scheme. His frame doesn't really fit a 3-4 DL scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Not sure why he was cut. My guess is that he wasn't a good fit for their scheme. His frame doesn't really fit a 3-4 DL scheme.

The reason he was cut is because the Jags are losing tens of millions of dollars, and Henderson was scheduled to make $5.65M this season. Why do you think they drafted Alualu (DT) in the 1st and Smith (DT) in the 2nd? It was a pure cost cutting draft and FA for the Jags, nothing more.

The Jags will have to be contracted or moved in the next few years. The city's just too small and apathetic towards football to support a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    The Jags run a 4-3, I'm pretty sure.

The reason he was cut is because the Jags are losing tens of millions of dollars, and Henderson was scheduled to make $5.65M this season. Why do you think they drafted Alualu (DT) in the 1st and Smith (DT) in the 2nd? It was a pure cost cutting draft and FA for the Jags, nothing more.

The Jags will have to be contracted or moved in the next few years. The city's just too small and apathetic towards football to support a franchise.
    Agreed, I expect them to move westward in the next couple of years. They really want to get a team here in Los Angeles and there have been some talk about the Jaguars or the Bills.

Right now though, it is tough as there is really no stadium suitable for a NFL team here. They would have to build one, and the cost of such a ventura in this day and age is no small matter.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Agreed, I expect them to move westward in the next couple of years. They really want to get a team here in Los Angeles and there have been some talk about the Jaguars or the Bills.

Right now though, it is tough as there is really no stadium suitable for a NFL team here. They would have to build one, and the cost of such a ventura in this day and age is no small matter.
    Good thoughts and I know everyone says LA. But I don't think the Jags get moved there. One, they'd probably need to re-align the divisions as LA is about 2,000 miles from Indy, Nashville, or Houston. Second, as you said, there's no arena. Third, Al Davis would love another bite at the lawsuit apple, and he could tie the thing up for years. Fourth, the Rams left LA for a reason - they just aren't big football fans there.

Now, where could they go? I suggest San Antonio, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City. All are medium size cities that have proven they can handle pro sports (well, not in Little Rock's case). All are big football states/cities. You wouldn't need to re-align divisions. Makes most sense to me.

Good thoughts and I know everyone says LA. But I don't think the Jags get moved there. One, they'd probably need to re-align the divisions as LA is about 2,000 miles from Indy, Nashville, or Houston. Second, as you said, there's no arena. Third, Al Davis would love another bite at the lawsuit apple, and he could tie the thing up for years. Fourth, the Rams left LA for a reason - they just aren't big football fans there.

Now, where could they go? I suggest San Antonio, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City. All are medium size cities that have proven they can handle pro sports (well, not in Little Rock's case). All are big football states/cities. You wouldn't need to re-align divisions. Makes most sense to me.
    I agree with that logic, and although it would be a huge headache logistically to move a team to SoCal, the NFL really wants a team back here because of the marketing potential. Yeah, SoCal has the most fickle sports fans, but there is a huge media market. I also disagree that we arent huge football fans in SoCal. Go to any bar or restaurant on a Sunday and it will be packed with people watching the Chargeless and the Faiders. College football has also become huge lately to fill in the lack of a local pro team. Plus, we definitely love us some professional sports as we have two teams from every major sports league except football (Angels, Dodgers, Ducks, Kings, Clippers, Lakers, Galaxy).

Also, the televison market here is what the NFL wants to get back into. I believe the last commish (maybe the current one) said that LA would get the next team (either a move or expansion), but I cannot remember the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    They dont currently have a stadium, but have all the plans in place, and approved already. They are just waiting for a team to pull the trigger:
    Stadium on Los Angeles Stadium

SoCal fans are a fickle bunch to be sure, but you also have to remember, when the Rams left, they had two teams in LA. Sorry, but there is not enough people in LA to support two NFL teams. As fate would have it, the Rams were allowed to leave thinking that the Raiders would be staying. Al Davis then within a couple of weeks, moved the Raiders north. When the city tried to stop it, he sued.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Oh there is enough people in LA to support two teams.. LA has 20x the people KC does.

It just that LA people dont like football enough. There is too much other crap to do (or they are too busy trying to be somebody~)