Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs vs Bengals

Default Chiefs vs Bengals

It's the season opener, and our beloved Chiefs are at home against an obviously improved Cincy team. I say our revamp "O" line shows up for work and LJ pounds it down their throats in a hard fought slug fest of smash mouth football. I think what will be noticeably different in this game will be the much improved play of the Chiefs over-all "D". This will be the year that they climb out of the cellar.

What say you Chiefs and Bengals fans; sound off!
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Default Re: Chiefs vs Bengals

On the Bengals site we have heard repeatedly about the improved kansas city defense, but no one backs up the claim with facts. I understand that you have added Law and have a rookie starting, why do the kc fans on our site seem convinced that will make all of the difference on how good your D is?

What they neglect is the fact that the Bengals have also worked hard to upgrade their D for this year. We get our starting safety back after a season ending shoulder injury early last year (Williams), Adams, a pro bowl player who is a true run stuffer, and another good safety who has been the SB MVP in Jackson. Plus changes in 6 other positions.

I'm looking for opinion, based on realistic facts, regarding whether the kc D will be able to contain the #2 QB in the league, a 1400 yard rusher, the O Line that gave up the 2nd least amount of sacks last year and returns intact, as well as what several NFL "experts" regard as the best receiving corps in football.

I don't expect the Bengals D to stop LJ, but beyond him, how does kc fare in a shootout>

3777 wrote:
    On the Bengals site we have heard repeatedly about the improved kansas city defense, but no one backs up the claim with facts. I understand that you have added Law and have a rookie starting, why do the kc fans on our site seem convinced that will make all of the difference on how good your D is?

What they neglect is the fact that the Bengals have also worked hard to upgrade their D for this year. We get our starting safety back after a season ending shoulder injury early last year (Williams), Adams, a pro bowl player who is a true run stuffer, and another good safety who has been the SB MVP in Jackson. Plus changes in 6 other positions.

I'm looking for opinion, based on realistic facts, regarding whether the kc D will be able to contain the #2 QB in the league, a 1400 yard rusher, the O Line that gave up the 2nd least amount of sacks last year and returns intact, as well as what several NFL "experts" regard as the best receiving corps in football.

I don't expect the Bengals D to stop LJ, but beyond him, how does kc fare in a shootout>
    Welcome to the Crowd!

Allen and Mitchell continue to excel and get better.

Allen: http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/allen_jared_nfl_stats.pdf

Mitchell: http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/kawika_mitchell/

Sims is on the bench and no longer will we be strapped with his half hearted mediocre effort.

I think you may also be discounting just how difficult it's going to be to come into Arrowhead on the season opener with arguably the loudest Fan base in the NFL.

These are just a few examples of why we are feeling better about our defense. Now, will that translate into a strong showing against your Bangels? We will see Sunday.

In the ArrowHead jungle our defense Bengal Hunters will cause the QB to nervously dodge the Bengal Tiger Traps set all over the Jungle called ArrowHead Sunday.
    GO CHIEF'S!

There are no facts to this defense. this is a new defense. Complete with new players, new coaching and a new scheme.The facts will be coming in weekly from here on out.

The Chiefs will be depending upon creative blitzing, stunts and the occaisional "mano y mano" pass rushing attacks. And, we all know, that pressure on the quarterback will be a necessity against the Bengals.

Pressure on Carson Palmer is alot to ask, considering the O-line talent boasted by the Bengals. Jared Allen will have his work cut out for him when engaged with Levi Jones. And Tamba Hali will need his ever-running motor in high gear, to get around Willie Anderson. Each of those matchups will be a tough one for the Chiefs.

When blitzing, with man-to-man coverage, the Chiefs will be dependent upon Ty Law and Patrick Surtain to carry the workload. Two of the top coverage guys in the league. However, Nobody can single cover Chad Johnson and T.J. Howsyervanilla, play after play. Therefore, blitzing will need to be used with creativity and selectiveness.

The Bengals could wind up shooting themselves in the foot. If Marvin Lewis is overly protective of Palmer, by keeping backs and tight-ends back in passprotection, then he may wind-up digging himself in a long third down hole. Without the short passes to those position players, one could find themselves in third and ten more often than expected.

The Chiefs won't, realistically, expect to stop the Bengals' offense. They will hope to slow them down, shorten their passing attack, cause some turnovers and keep them off of the field. If they succeed in all of these things, then they will have stopped the Bengals' offense. But, if they succeed in some of these things, or all of them to a lesser degree, they will have given themselves a great chance of winning the game. After all, that is why they play.

"You play......to win............the game."

That, however, is only one side of the ball. Here, let me quote you........

"I don't expect the Bengals D to stop LJ, but beyond him, how does kc fare in a shootout>"

I find it difficult to believe, that anyone could ask that question. Let alone, a Bengals fan. I understand that the Bengals didn't play all of their starters throughout the game, but a 37-3 loss, in the fanal game of the season, should catch your eye. The Chiefs finished five spots ahead of the Bengals in total offensive production last season.(that would be FIRST place) They finished just 11 yards behind the Begals in Passing yards. 11 yard.

Please, let me take you "beyond L.J." Maybe, you have heard of a guy by the name of Tony Gonzales. No, no, no, I know that you have heard of him. There is a very good reason that everyone has heard of him too.There is too much that could be said about Tony, and you've heard it all before anyway.But I'm not certain wht could cause you to forget about him.

Trent Green is, miraculously, one of the best kept secrets in the N.F.L. Nobody throws a prettier pass, nor any more accurate, than does Trent Green. This would include Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning. And, Trent doesn't have a Chad Johnson, nor a Marvin Harrison, to throw to. He doesn't even have a Reggie Wayne, nor a T.J. Housayourmomma.(sorry, love that commercial.)

The offensive line, that has been highly critcized throughout the preseason,(mostly by myself) Can still make claim to the best interior O-line in all of the N.F.L.with Brian Waters, Casey wiegmann and Will Shields.(no comparisons will be considered.) And while Willie Roaf has, officially retired, nobody is more capable of filling that spot, than Kyle Turley. While looking a bit rusty through the preseason, Kyle Turley is as skilled an offensive tackle as there is in the league. On the other side....If anyone is capable of winning the right tackle job away from Kevin Sampsom, then he is plenty of O.K. with me. Kevin Sampson would start at left tackle for a few different teams.

As an added bonus, the Chiefs finished ahead of the Bengals in total points allowed last season. Six spots ahead, as a matter of fact.Betcha didn't know that one, ehh?

I don't expect a "smashmouth" game here. I think it will be a slight shootout, with the winner being the team that can cause a turnover or two. My prediction?
    24-23 (yes, I am a Homer.) Kansas City!!!!!

Ummm, yeah that's what I ment to say; all except for:

chief31 wrote:
    ...I don't expect a "smashmouth" game here. I think it will be a slight shootout, with the winner being the team that can cause a turnover or two. My prediction?
    24-23 (yes, I am a Homer.) Kansas City!!!!!
    I think Herm is gonna run LJ's legs off; early and often.

Expect a much different Bengal defense this time. They only have 3 of the guys playing on d that you saw last time not so long ago.
    Add Sam Adams, add Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson to hit repeatedly and hit hard your Johnson and your Green. We also were missing our other safety last time Madieu Williams.
    This is the name that will make you all say damn!! He's Domato Peko, a rookie DL from Mich St. Wait and see, he's the guy with the long hair. Green'll know him, he's coming from where Roaf used to be

As far as the Bengals offense, you all should know what you're up against. It'll be a much different story. Prepare for a shootout. After we pick six green you might have to abandon the run a little.

:-(

Do you think Green throwing a INT for a TD would silence the crowd a little bit? We only need a crack.

:pint:

drunkenben wrote:
    Do you think Green throwing a INT for a TD would silence the crowd a little bit? We only need a crack.

Do you think Palmer throwing a int for a TD will cause the sound barrier to break over ArrowHead? It won't be a crack, it will be a Earthquake that Swallows the Unfortunate Bengal Putty Tat. GO CHIEF'S!

kenny1937 wrote:
    drunkenben wrote:

Do you think Palmer throwing a int for a TD will cause the sound barrier to break over ArrowHead? It won't be a crack, it will be a Earthquake that Swallows the Unfortunate Bengal Putty Tat. GO CHIEF'S!

K-dude; throwin down some smack! :-x

It should be a great game. The noise level generated by almost 80,000 die hard, knowledgable fans, is hard to quanitfy, but the weapons on the Bengals offense are numerous. I'm primarily concerned about Gonzalez and LJ of course, but I do think the Bengals have made sufficient improvement on their D to be an average NFL defense this year instead of the doormat they were in the past.

I also have to give kc props for Trent Green. Nice articles today in the Cincinnati Enquirer concerning Green's relationship with Carson Palmer and how encouraging he has been. Nice to know that there are some true class acts out there like Green.

Here's to a great game on Sunday (with the Bengals winning of course!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast