Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Exactly...

Default Exactly...

Sorry to ESPN and Bill Barnwell for taking this from their "Insider's" page, but this is EXACTLY how I feel. The Chiefs are still shopping for essentials like Milk and Eggs and daddy goes out and buys a nice $200 bottle of wine to go with the saltine crackers we'll be having for dinner.

Take it away, Bill...

There are two things we know for sure about the Chiefs and their 3-4 defense: You need a very good nose tackle to succeed in the NFL while playing a 3-4 scheme, and the Chiefs don't have one. Veteran Ron Edwards is a stopgap, and while he's game to try, he just can't handle the responsibilities that an excellent nose tackle needs to take care of so that the linebackers behind him can make plays.

Another thing we know is that a good nose tackle is hard to find. When teams get one, they tend to hold onto them until they either get hurt or fall out of favor with the organization -- think about the careers of Jamal Williams in San Diego or Kris Jenkins in Carolina as reasonable examples.

So, with three of the first 50 picks in the draft, how did a team that ranked 31st in run defense DVOA a year ago fail to upgrade its front seven? Taking Eric Berry will help things, but the Chiefs' two second-round picks were a running back (Dexter McCluster) they plan on converting to wide receiver, and a cornerback (Javier Arenas) who will play behind (as their #3 CB in nickel packages.)

Meanwhile, who was left on the board for each of those picks? Mammoth Alabama lineman Terrence Cody. At 354 pounds, Cody would have been the ideal two-gap space-filler the Chiefs need to clog running lanes and create opportunities for defensive playmakers like, coincidentally, Eric Berry. Instead, the Chiefs passed on him and Cody went to Baltimore, where he'll help Haloti Ngata create those opportunities for Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. Oh boy.

The McCluster pick was ok. The offense definitely needed more weapons. It's the Arenas pick that pisses me off. Pioli and Haley decided to revamp the entire defense into a 3-4 scheme. Fine. But you'd think that after 2 free agency periods and 2 drafts that they'd find the cornerstone piece of the 3-4 in a good NT. Building a 3-4 defense without a good NT is like implementing the wild-cat offense as your primary offense and having Jamarcus Russell at QB... IT'S NOT GONNA WORK!!

Even later, the Chiefs had a chance at taking another NT in the 4th with Cam Thomas...however, they decide to trade up and select an oft injured TE who is essentially going the be the #3 TE on the roster.

If Glenn Dorsey wasn't good enough last season to be a NT, why would he be good enough this year? If the Chiefs DO move him inside, who takes over at DE? The Chiefs NEEDED help at 3 of 4 major positions on defense and only filled 1. ILB, NT or DE, and Safety aren't complimentary defensive positions like a nickel CB is. If you build a defense and had your choice of a sub-par NT or sub-par Nickel CB, the smart person would pick the better NT over the NCB.

If you're good in the middle, your team is greatly improved. It's the same in nearly EVERY sport. It's MUCH easier to build around a great Center or PF in basketball than it is a great SG, SF or PG. In baseball, if your team is performing at above average to great at Catcher, SS, 2B, and CF, your team defense will be MUCH better than if you were above-average to great at LF, RF, 3B, and 1B.

If you look at the Chiefs, it's no coincidence that they have had a poor record the last few years because they've been below average up the middle. Their QB has been below average since 2006. Their Center hasn't been average since Weigman left. Their DTs have been HORRID due to either talent or inexperience. The last ILB who performed at an average level for the Chiefs was Kawika Mitchell, and their Safeties haven't performed any higher than average... and that's being generous.

So, our middle:
    QB: CHECK- I thought Pioli pulled a GREAT deal getting Cassel (AND Vrabel) for just a 2nd round pick last year.

C: REQUIRED- Weigman COULD be better than Niswanger, but at his age, he's definitely not someone we can build with. He's a stop-gap AT BEST.

NT: REQUIRED- Neither Ron Edwards nor Glenn Dorsey is the answer at NT for the Chiefs. Again, a 3-4 defense is primarily built around a NT and 2 off-seasons since Pioli's arrival and the Chiefs' switch to the 3-4, we STILL don't have one...

ILB: REQUIRED- For whatever reason, Haley won't play Derrick Johnson. Neither Cory Mays, Jevon Belcher, nor Demarrio Williams are the answer for the Chiefs at the ILB position. I think they've got ONE ILB on their roster who the Chiefs could build around but I doubt very seriously that the Chiefs will keep DJ after this season.

Safety: Check- The Eric Berry pick was a good pick. I think they could've found another safety with 2B that would have been serviceable, but Berry COULD have an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu affect for the Chiefs' defense. I think Berry and Page are still going to have trouble in the secondary this season because the Chiefs did NOTHING with their front 7 to help their secondary. We're still going to rank near the bottom in sacks and rushing yards allowed because we don't have a NT or ILBs. When a team can run at will, that's going to do nothing but open up the passing game. Berry was a good pick. However, the Chiefs have failed AGAIN this season to improve their defense of any consequence. But, even if Eric Berry can play at the level of an Ed Reed or Polamalu, you have to remember that those guys were able to roam and make plays because they had guys like Casey Hampton, Tony Saregusa, Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas, Larry Foote, and James Harrison performing in front of them. The Chiefs don't have NTs and LBs of that caliber on this roster. So, until they get those pieces in place, expect Berry and the rest of the secondary to have a tough time.

We didn't pick up an OLB in the free agency so they had to pick up one in the draft. I am liking the Arenas pick more and more.

Yes I would've loved a DT, but we didn't get one. Gotta live with it, Cody wouldn't have seen the field for a long time because of his lack of work ethic. Wouldn't have made it through Haley's conditioning and would've been in the doghouse.

I wished we woulda got one of the MANY ILBs. The thing is, we had a chance in the draft and free agency but we didn't get anyone. This happened for a reason. I'm not saying that noone was good enough to be in KC because that's not the case.

I think a ton of ILBs were overdrafted and Pioli didn't reach like he did last year. Free agents are out there for a reason:
    1) They have terrible attitudes, which doesn't fit the "right 53"
    2) They were expendable because someone was better than them. Now most teams don't have backups that are legit starters but there is a rare occasion.

I don't like the DT position but we had no chance at a DT that could play immediately. Next year we will have a very good one......remember that.

I think it's a good point regarding the nose tackle. The big thing is that it's tough to fill so many positions that have holes in 1 offseason though. NT didn't get filled this year, but I thought overall the draft was great at filling some of the holes we do have.

I've seen it a couple times, I can't really validate it because I don't know too much college football, but next year is supposed to be fairly nose tackle heavy. I definitely think this position will be #1 priority next year.

Seriously. Your still doing this? You, use to be a decent poster. Now your just an angry internet dude.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

It amazes me that anyone defends this offseason. As it currently sits, we have the worst RT, NT, and ILBs in the NFL. The only positions at which we have top-15 players are RB, CB, FS (maybe), K, P, ROLB (maybe), and LG (maybe). At best, we upgraded our FS, 3WR, 3CB, RG, and TE positions in the draft, none of which are terribly important compared to NT, DE/OLB, OT, 1WR, or QB.

I don't understand why people think we're going to do better this year than last. A couple retread coordinators who were fired from their last jobs do not equal wins. Last year, we lost games because we couldn't stop the run, pressure the QB, or protect our QB. What's changed?

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    It amazes me that anyone defends this offseason. As it currently sits, we have the worst RT, NT, and ILBs in the NFL. The only positions at which we have top-15 players are RB, CB, FS (maybe), K, P, ROLB (maybe), and LG (maybe). At best, we upgraded our FS, 3WR, 3CB, RG, and TE positions in the draft, none of which are terribly important compared to NT, DE/OLB, OT, 1WR, or QB.

I don't understand why people think we're going to do better this year than last. A couple retread coordinators who were fired from their last jobs do not equal wins. Last year, we lost games because we couldn't stop the run, pressure the QB, or protect our QB. What's changed?
    You're making it sound as if the upgrades aren't at relevant positions. The upgrade nickel corner also extends to KR/PR. Arenas taking one to the house can completely change a game. The slot upgrade will also be huge. So many guys were put in that position last year that simply could not catch the ball or get open. Having a guy in there that is quick and can hopefully catch (it's yet to be seen) makes for an excellent option on every down to pick up a good chunk of yards and hopefully run after the catch.

I won't call TE an upgrade, I don't know a whole lot about Moeaki other than he can catch. Again, another weapon for Cassel. The TE position was also pretty useless in their passing game last year.

I think considering all the moves to the Oline in the offseason, it's gonna be hard for Cassel not to improve. He's gonna get some extra time, which he hopefully won't need with a few more weapons of offense. The OL was great the last 8 games of last year. That's something to build off of as well. Everyone kind of ignores that the OL was greatly improved over the last half of the season. We added a couple of upgrades as well, what's not to like?

Dwayne Bowe is still out for a verdict. It's really a make or break year for him. If he can be that #1 WR guy (which he definitely has the potential), it's gonna do a lot for the receiving corps as a whole b/c he's going to demand a lot of attention from the secondary.

Regardless, I think this is going to be an offense and special teams that is tough to stop. Charles and McCluster will have the ability to break off a huge play at any point in the game (Charles had 2 less 40+ yd runs (5) than Chris Johnson (7) in about half the games). If Bowe can get it going, and Chambers can play at the level he did last year, there's plenty to like in the offensive side.

The defensive side of the ball is another story. You're right, we didn't do a lot to upgrade. But what can you expect of a team with holes just about everywhere? It's about impossible to address everything in 1 offseason. The defensive upgrades will definitely come next year in FA and the draft. As it is now, there's definitely the potential to win anywhere from 6 to 10 games this year. Grab a NT in a NT heavy draft next year and and ILB, we're already improving the defense.

By the way, calling them "retread coordinators" (did you mean retard?) doesn't do them justice. They were not the best head coaches, but they're proven at being great coordinators offensively and defensively. I'm excited to see what they can bring to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post

Can you really say that the past few off seasons have been better then this one. You refuse to mention that we made a HUGE upgrade in the coaching staff. Just becuse they were not good head coaches. They are not being asked to be head coaches now. They have superbowl rings at there current jobs. That WILL help the current players that we have. Dorsey and Jackson will both improve as they gain more and more playing time. Not to mention that things are diffrent this year then last.

Haley is not going to have to spend most of camp this season just getting guys into shape. The former coach of this team let guys play out of shape and spoiled them. Haley had to fight most of last season to get them into shape so they can play at there best all while trying to put in a new offense and build a coaching staff. Things are better for this team. We may not have got the Start players but we are better. Give it time and let this team prove what they can do or what they can not do before you doom this team for this season.

Seriously, enough with giving Arenas any value at all. KR/PR, wooooo, call in the press! Seriously, that is the kind of pick that you take in the 4th round AT THE HIGHEST!

How people still defend it is incredible.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You're making it sound as if the upgrades aren't at relevant positions. The upgrade nickel corner also extends to KR/PR. Arenas taking one to the house can completely change a game. The slot upgrade will also be huge. So many guys were put in that position last year that simply could not catch the ball or get open. Having a guy in there that is quick and can hopefully catch (it's yet to be seen) makes for an excellent option on every down to pick up a good chunk of yards and hopefully run after the catch.

I didn't say we didn't upgrade at those positions. But you can find a PR as an undrafted FA. You don't NEED one in the 2nd round. However, you NEED a NT if you want to play at 3-4 defense. A good NCB is a luxury the Chiefs didn't NEED at this point. Also, in order for the Chiefs to utilize Arenas as a PR, the defense would have to stop someone... you're not going to do that with below average players in the middle of your defense.

The defensive side of the ball is another story. You're right, we didn't do a lot to upgrade. But what can you expect of a team with holes just about everywhere? It's about impossible to address everything in 1 offseason. The defensive upgrades will definitely come next year in FA and the draft. As it is now, there's definitely the potential to win anywhere from 6 to 10 games this year. Grab a NT in a NT heavy draft next year and and ILB, we're already improving the defense.

It's amazing. I heard this EXACT same argument made last season. Except, it HASN'T BEEN only ONE off season. Also, everyone and their mother KNEW what holes were priorities for this Chiefs team coming out of last season and the only position they filled was the Safety spot. That's TWO free agent periods and TWO drafts. When changing your defensive scheme, you have to fill the CORE positions which you will build your ENTIRE defense around. Last year, we got our 3-4 DE in TJ. This year, we got Berry. GREAT!! What's so hard about getting a NT and at least 1 more ILB with the other 6 picks they had in the first 3 rounds? 1 of those picks got us Matt Cassel and Vrabel. So, 5 picks... instead, we have:

3rd string DE Magee
    NCB Arenas
    slot receiver McCluster
    4th string OG Asomoah
    3rd string TE Moeaki

What tard thinks those positions are more important than a starting ILB or NT to build a 3-4 defense around?

By the way, calling them "retread coordinators" (did you mean retard?) doesn't do them justice. They were not the best head coaches, but they're proven at being great coordinators offensively and defensively. I'm excited to see what they can bring to the team.
    The coaching SHOULD be better if Haley gets out of the way and lets them do what they do best.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Seriously. Your still doing this? You, use to be a decent poster. Now your just an angry internet dude.
    Yes, I AM angry. When the Chiefs hired Pioli, everyone on here automatically bought that he was the guy pulling the strings in NE. Everyone thought he'd have this great plan to implement a new offense and defense. I just wanted to see that he knew what he was doing. The problem is that he wasn't a GREAT drafter in NE and most of the impact players NE brought in were free agents. Haley was ridiculously bad last year as a head coach. Yet, there are people like you who follow blindly and think these guys walk on water. It's pathetic really. Mainly because the above average to great moves these guys have made are tough to find.

You can like the flashy picks of McCluster and Arenas all you want. There's little doubt that they'll make some great plays this year and beyond. But I promise I won't come on this board and tell you "I told you so" when we're at the bottom of league in nearly EVERY defensive statistical category and we're picking in the top ten, yet again.

The "Patriot Way" isn't built on flashy players like Randy Moss and Wes Welker. It's built on top 10 defenses that can stop offenses when it matters. Can you HONESTLY say you think the Chiefs are capable of being even above average defensively this season?

Just in case you missed it... the Chiefs were either 31st or dead last in the league on defense. If you're NOT angry that they didn't upgrade their front 7 AT ALL through free agency NOR the draft, there's something wrong.

You can call me whatever you want, but I'm right.

Bottom line is this entire board, combined, doesn't know half as much as Pioli knows about putting together a Superbowl winning team. It sounds cliche, but seriously, trust the process. I bet we get our franchise NT next year.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious View Post
    Bottom line is this entire board, combined, doesn't know half as much as Pioli knows about putting together a Superbowl winning team. It sounds cliche, but seriously, trust the process. I bet we get our franchise NT next year.
    Pioli doesn't know much about it either. The Patriots were built before homeboy showed up. He just happened to bring in Tom Brady and suddenly he's some kind of "guru." There's 4 or 5 people on this board who team up and give the Chiefs' front office a run for their money. You're new and don't know this board.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast