Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Exactly...

Default Exactly...

Sorry to ESPN and Bill Barnwell for taking this from their "Insider's" page, but this is EXACTLY how I feel. The Chiefs are still shopping for essentials like Milk and Eggs and daddy goes out and buys a nice $200 bottle of wine to go with the saltine crackers we'll be having for dinner.

Take it away, Bill...

There are two things we know for sure about the Chiefs and their 3-4 defense: You need a very good nose tackle to succeed in the NFL while playing a 3-4 scheme, and the Chiefs don't have one. Veteran Ron Edwards is a stopgap, and while he's game to try, he just can't handle the responsibilities that an excellent nose tackle needs to take care of so that the linebackers behind him can make plays.

Another thing we know is that a good nose tackle is hard to find. When teams get one, they tend to hold onto them until they either get hurt or fall out of favor with the organization -- think about the careers of Jamal Williams in San Diego or Kris Jenkins in Carolina as reasonable examples.

So, with three of the first 50 picks in the draft, how did a team that ranked 31st in run defense DVOA a year ago fail to upgrade its front seven? Taking Eric Berry will help things, but the Chiefs' two second-round picks were a running back (Dexter McCluster) they plan on converting to wide receiver, and a cornerback (Javier Arenas) who will play behind (as their #3 CB in nickel packages.)

Meanwhile, who was left on the board for each of those picks? Mammoth Alabama lineman Terrence Cody. At 354 pounds, Cody would have been the ideal two-gap space-filler the Chiefs need to clog running lanes and create opportunities for defensive playmakers like, coincidentally, Eric Berry. Instead, the Chiefs passed on him and Cody went to Baltimore, where he'll help Haloti Ngata create those opportunities for Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. Oh boy.

The McCluster pick was ok. The offense definitely needed more weapons. It's the Arenas pick that pisses me off. Pioli and Haley decided to revamp the entire defense into a 3-4 scheme. Fine. But you'd think that after 2 free agency periods and 2 drafts that they'd find the cornerstone piece of the 3-4 in a good NT. Building a 3-4 defense without a good NT is like implementing the wild-cat offense as your primary offense and having Jamarcus Russell at QB... IT'S NOT GONNA WORK!!

Even later, the Chiefs had a chance at taking another NT in the 4th with Cam Thomas...however, they decide to trade up and select an oft injured TE who is essentially going the be the #3 TE on the roster.

If Glenn Dorsey wasn't good enough last season to be a NT, why would he be good enough this year? If the Chiefs DO move him inside, who takes over at DE? The Chiefs NEEDED help at 3 of 4 major positions on defense and only filled 1. ILB, NT or DE, and Safety aren't complimentary defensive positions like a nickel CB is. If you build a defense and had your choice of a sub-par NT or sub-par Nickel CB, the smart person would pick the better NT over the NCB.

If you're good in the middle, your team is greatly improved. It's the same in nearly EVERY sport. It's MUCH easier to build around a great Center or PF in basketball than it is a great SG, SF or PG. In baseball, if your team is performing at above average to great at Catcher, SS, 2B, and CF, your team defense will be MUCH better than if you were above-average to great at LF, RF, 3B, and 1B.

If you look at the Chiefs, it's no coincidence that they have had a poor record the last few years because they've been below average up the middle. Their QB has been below average since 2006. Their Center hasn't been average since Weigman left. Their DTs have been HORRID due to either talent or inexperience. The last ILB who performed at an average level for the Chiefs was Kawika Mitchell, and their Safeties haven't performed any higher than average... and that's being generous.

So, our middle:
    QB: CHECK- I thought Pioli pulled a GREAT deal getting Cassel (AND Vrabel) for just a 2nd round pick last year.

C: REQUIRED- Weigman COULD be better than Niswanger, but at his age, he's definitely not someone we can build with. He's a stop-gap AT BEST.

NT: REQUIRED- Neither Ron Edwards nor Glenn Dorsey is the answer at NT for the Chiefs. Again, a 3-4 defense is primarily built around a NT and 2 off-seasons since Pioli's arrival and the Chiefs' switch to the 3-4, we STILL don't have one...

ILB: REQUIRED- For whatever reason, Haley won't play Derrick Johnson. Neither Cory Mays, Jevon Belcher, nor Demarrio Williams are the answer for the Chiefs at the ILB position. I think they've got ONE ILB on their roster who the Chiefs could build around but I doubt very seriously that the Chiefs will keep DJ after this season.

Safety: Check- The Eric Berry pick was a good pick. I think they could've found another safety with 2B that would have been serviceable, but Berry COULD have an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu affect for the Chiefs' defense. I think Berry and Page are still going to have trouble in the secondary this season because the Chiefs did NOTHING with their front 7 to help their secondary. We're still going to rank near the bottom in sacks and rushing yards allowed because we don't have a NT or ILBs. When a team can run at will, that's going to do nothing but open up the passing game. Berry was a good pick. However, the Chiefs have failed AGAIN this season to improve their defense of any consequence. But, even if Eric Berry can play at the level of an Ed Reed or Polamalu, you have to remember that those guys were able to roam and make plays because they had guys like Casey Hampton, Tony Saregusa, Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas, Larry Foote, and James Harrison performing in front of them. The Chiefs don't have NTs and LBs of that caliber on this roster. So, until they get those pieces in place, expect Berry and the rest of the secondary to have a tough time.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    God you are so wrong all the time, it's stupid.
    Be nice. Or I'll make you my b!tch.

You're right. Who is Casey Wiegmann? Oh that's right...probowler last year.

Who is Ryan Lilja? Oh that's right...starting guard for the Colts during BOTH of their Super Bowl appearances, and starting guard for a team that went 14-0. He must be TERRIBLE!
    Wiegmann was elected to the pro bowl in 2008, not last season. And he went as the 2nd alternate. That's his only pro bowl. You sure you know what you're talking about?

And Lilja was released for a reason. The reason is because he's too small and too often injured.

And by the way, don't come in 'droppin' knowledge" on people when you don't actually add any knowledge.

REALLY??!?! TO RUN A 3-4 YOU NEED 3 LINEMEN AND 4 LINEBACKERS??!! WHERE DID YOU GET THIS AMAZING INSIDER INFORMATION? ARE YOU WIRE TAPPING?

last year you had 6 out of 7 starters on the front lines who never played in a 3-4. But, of course, in your magical-fantasy land, players can't improve. The only way to get better is to just get new guys.
    Or just get guys who are physically right for the positions. You know, what good teams do.

Oh, and we ran a 4-3 plenty last year, which we will continue to do this year.
    Not really. We switched up occasionally, but the 3-4 was our base defense.

Shaun Smith IS a backup. That's what I said, captain literate. he's a rotation guy. Guess what? We didn't have that last year, and Ron Edwards was completely gassed late in games.

LIKE I SAID, shaun smith provides everything that a rookie nose tackle would - he is a rotational backup who can help keep the defensive line fresh. And he's better than a rookie, because he has already been playing in the system, so he'll require less adjustment.
    I wasn't responding to you, ya know, or anyone in particular. Why do you think Smith/Edwards will work at NT? Every team Smith/Edwards have started for have finsihed near the bottom of the league in run defense. Do you think there's a reason for that?

We will still need to get a nose tackle, but adding speed, character, work ethic, intelligence, and yes...PLAYMAKERS to a team almost devoid of those things was necessary.

Of course, you'll never understand that, so why do I bother?
    It isn't just a nose tackle. We need new players at C, RT, NT, 1WR, LOLB, both ILBs, and SS. We aren't going to win six games if we stick with our current starters at those positions. Why is this so hard to understand?

And if you don't like what I post, put me on ignore.

1.) Shaun Smith was a steadily improving player under Crennel in Cleveland. What knocked his career off was the fact he knocked out Brady Quinn in the locker room. 2.) To say Weigmann and Lilja aren't improvements to the line is just ignorant. 3.) I guess some people missed it, but Pioli and Co just drafted what they considered to be the missing elements to their offensive scheme. A playmaker that can line up in a variety of positions (McCluster) and a well-balanced TE that can be a threat in the passing game and hold his own in blocking schemes (Moeaki).

Does the D still need work? Of course it does, but now they have the coach they want and can get a better look at the personnel they have.

Quote Originally Posted by citadelchief View Post
    1.) Shaun Smith was a steadily improving player under Crennel in Cleveland. What knocked his career off was the fact he knocked out Brady Quinn in the locker room. 2.) To say Weigmann and Lilja aren't improvements to the line is just ignorant. 3.) I guess some people missed it, but Pioli and Co just drafted what they considered to be the missing elements to their offensive scheme. A playmaker that can line up in a variety of positions (McCluster) and a well-balanced TE that can be a threat in the passing game and hold his own in blocking schemes (Moeaki).

Does the D still need work? Of course it does, but now they have the coach they want and can get a better look at the personnel they have.
    OK, why do you think the Colts cut Lilja? It wasn't to save money - they paid Lilja his bonus before they let him go. The reason is because they want to better bigger in their OL, and Lilja is undersized and injury prone. Is he an imporvement over Wade Smith? Yes. Are there 30 other guys I'd rather have manning the postion. Yes.

Same thing with Wiegmann and the Broncos. Wiegman is old and undersized. He can't open running lanes anymore, although he remains an adequate pass blocker. He'd be a great backup for us (so would Lilja). Just because Wiegmann is better than Niswanger, it doesn't mean he very good anymore. Believe it or not, old and undersized offensive linemen don't tend to last very long during the season.

Smith Smith did fine in Cleveland when they lined him up at LDE or RDE. He's do fine here as well as a backup at those two spots. He isn't a NT, and he's done miserably when forced into the spot.

I'm certain they do consider McCluster and Moeaki to be the missing links in their offense. I don't agree. I think they've massively overevaluated our talent levels, especially at WR and on the OL. And I don't like McCluster in the slot anyway. He's too small, has difficulty running routes, and had fumble problems as a receiver in college.

And with all respect, I don't see our defense getting better until it gets much more talented. Berry was a good start (even though I really wanted Okung, it was a great pick), but we're going to keep losing seven-point games for so long as teams can run at will on us in the 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post

It isn't just a nose tackle. We need new players at C, RT, NT, 1WR, LOLB, both ILBs, and SS. We aren't going to win six games if we stick with our current starters at those positions. Why is this so hard to understand?

And if you don't like what I post, put me on ignore.
    I get it. You like guys on paper. That's all you know and understand.

This isn't mock draft anymore, okay? it's the actual game. And it has to be played by actual players. Who receive actual contracts. Actually. Contractually.

You can't just say "guys who are physically right for the position." What if they aren't mentally right for the position? What if they aren't emotionally right for the team?

I like our draft. I would have loved if we drafted a middle linebacker, nose tackle, and 1WR. But guess what? We also needed a slot receiver, nickel corner, tight end, and guard.

DUDE. YOU HAVE TO STOP MENTIONING LILJA. WE DRAFTED ASAMOAH. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

by the way, Asamoah can play center as well. So really, you need to stop mentioning interior linemen altogether.

What wide receiver should we have taken? who? Demetrius Thomas? Benn? Bryant? All gone by our 2B pick.

Who then? None of the wide receivers on the board were primary options. Now it drops to tate. If Weis thought he was the answer, we would have taken him for our slot position. They preferred McCluster. Deal with it.

LOLB. Like who? jerry hughes didn't fall. Sergio Kindle did. You want to take a linebacker who has had legal issues and microfracture surgery on his knee? No thanks. then who? WHO WAS AVAILABLE?

I keep coming back to nose tackle, because that was the only position that we passed over. We had the option of taking a nose tackle, and we flat-out didn't.

What else? What major free agents have we ignored? What draft prospects did we pass over? Dansby? overpaid. Cody? Major red flags. Cam Thomas? That's the one. Cam Thomas, I guess. But why did so many teams pass him over. doesn't that say anything to you?

C - dude stop with the center. Wiegmann, Niswanger, Asamoah.

RT - I would like to see this upgraded, but it was nowhere near the top of our needs.

NT - discussed ad naseum.

1WR - If Bowe isn't our 1WR, that means we are getting someone even better, which would give us a top-flight WR corps. Awesome, but again, this wasn't a priority, and it is NOT necessary to "win six games."

LOLB - You really think replacing Vrabel is the key to our success? Really? You think he was the reason we struggled?

Both ILBs - do you mean Mays and Williams, Williams and DJ, or Mays and DJ? I just need to know if you are counting DJ as part of the problem.

SS - Strong safety as in Jarrad page? the guy who was our starting free safety and doing well before his injury? Why is it that we can't move Page, at 6'0, 225 pounds, to SS and have speed at the position?
    Last edited by SAPHOJUNKIE; 05-04-2010 at 02:43 PM.

We can't just add all pro-bowlers. It doesn't work like that. The team got a hell of a lot better in this off season. Quit cut and pasting from ESPN. Their experts haven't exactly been on the ball this offseason. Weigmann and Lilja are proven starters in the league and are clear upgrades on a line that was made up of guys that would be on the practice squad elsewhere. McCluster is a huge weapon when he gets the ball (just like Darren Sproles, Percy Harvin, and DANTE HALL). He is by no means a primary threat, but when you mix him in with other weapons (Charles, Chambers, Jones, Bowe) he becomes an excellent addition. And you must not have ever seen Moeaki play. He has great hands, excellent athletic ability, and is an amazing blocker (watch him hand Derrick Morgan his rear in the Orange Bowl). Shaun Smith has been steadily improving and will do just fine rotating with Edwards and Dorsey. And with Dorsey and Smith also able to rotate on the end, it looks like the d line got better too. And as far as running on us in the 4th qtr, maybe you haven't been paying attention, but this team is reporting in 700 lbs lighter than last season. They're in much better shape this time around. That means the endurance level will be better = playing better late in the game. Improvements happen little at a time. They don't just come overnight. This team got much better.

For those who didn't like our defense last year, you have every right..........what you need to understand is we were in our 1st year in the 3-4. Teams that run a 3-4 tend to get better with time, so do the players that play in the 3-4.

The production we woulda got in a DT drafted in the 4th or later is the same as getting an UDFA. They wouldn't be more than a reserve. Do i think we need a new DT? Very much so, but it won't happen fast.

Nothing wrong with running the 3-4 and it's not going anywhere soon.

Lilja, very productive but on the smaller side. Will help in ways I can't even explain on a forum. He's a leader and a serviceable starter until we can groom another one.

If you don't like the things KC does, you don't have to be a fan. I don't think we are a ruined franchise like some of you others on here. I'm diehard and know they are going in the right direction

Smith Smith did fine in Cleveland when they lined him up at LDE or RDE. He's do fine here as well as a backup at those two spots. He isn't a NT, and he's done miserably when forced into the spot.
    Dude, quit acting like you have the faintest idea what you're talking about. That's right, I'm sure you paid a TON of attention to the Cleveland defensive line rotation three years ago.

God, you just talk out of your ace all the time, and you think it makes you sound like you are informed. It doesn't. At all.

I'm certain they do consider McCluster and Moeaki to be the missing links in their offense. I don't agree. I think they've massively overevaluated our talent levels, especially at WR and on the OL. And I don't like McCluster in the slot anyway. He's too small, has difficulty running routes, and had fumble problems as a receiver in college.
    OH MY GOD JUST STOP.

You seriously think it means ANYTHING that you "don't agree" with the front office's evaluation of the talent on the team? Seriously? SERIOUSLY???

Oh, and which BS internet site did you lift the whole "has difficulty running routes" thing from? Because McCluster makes terrific cuts and accelerates out of his breaks.

In short, you continue to talk as though your opinion means something. It's fine to have an opinion, but you seriously act like yours is based in years of scouting experience, as opposed to years of eating cheetos on the couch on sundays.

this is the type of guy who says "I've broken down the film on him," as though you've been watching the coach's tape, which isn't public. No. You've been re-winding your DVR, pausing ever so briefly on the stands to see if your ex-girlfriend's dad still has season tickets.

In summation, you are not an expert.

Those considered experts disagree with you.

People like....

Rick Gosselin.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.3f4b050.html

MEL KIPER (rated Dexter #1 impact player of the second round)

1. Dexter McCluster
    This pick surprised a lot of people. Here were the Kansas City Chiefs, drafting early in Round 2 (No. 36), with needs dotting their board. Then they take an undersized running back out of Ole Miss who I think could have gone closer to the late stages of Round 2. McCluster is really miscast as simply the next in a line of guys like Darren Sproles -- small, super-fast, change-of-pace players who break big plays but always seem in jeopardy of taking that one big hit. But the Chiefs can use this guy. And right away.
    For one, McCluster can catch the ball. He caught 44 passes last year -- from the undrafted and often inaccurate Jevan Snead -- and can line up in the slot for the Chiefs. At about 175 pounds, he's not a drastically undersized slot guy. What's more, McCluster is tough. He piled up 181 carries last year, including 34 against Oklahoma St. So yes, he won't be used in the slot alone. Think Sproles with better receiving skills. Ultimately, McCluster tops this list because the Chiefs do have holes. In that sense, why take a guy at this stage if you don't plan to utilize him immediately? You can bet Todd Haley and Charlie Weis are already at the drawing board.

Mike Mayock - listen to him gush

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1dAqOIEE0"]YouTube- Kansas City Chiefs 2010 Draft Dexter McCluster 2nd round[/ame]

A couple other things to consider about Weigmann and Lilja. 1.) Both have history with the Chiefs. Weigmann was a part of what was arguably one of the greatest offensive lines in NFL history. That is a great mentor to have for younger players. Lilja was drafted by the Chiefs during that same time frame. He missed out on making the team because they were so talented on the line, but KC wanted to sign him to the practice squad and bring him along. Indy just beat them to the punch. 2.) Lilja has been a part of a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. If you don't think that's important than you clearly don't understand anything about sports in general. 3.) Lilja is a smaller guard which is what you want if your offense is generated around spreading the field. 4.) Both players are workers that continue not just to make teams, but start for them despite age and injuries. That's the tough guy mentality you want in a lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    So who is the franchise NFL ready NT that we passed on? I know people are quick to point out the problem...whats the solution? Who's the guy eveyone wanted? The only mention of any solution I have heard was Cody. The soon to bee 400lbs again Terrence Cody? No thanks. Complain all you like but at least offer up a solution to the problem. You aren't making headlines with the fact that we don't have a great NT.
    Correct. I am almost positive that Pioli knows where the weak spots are on this team. I think that he simply didn't see a NT in this draft that could anchor a rebuilding defense for the next ten years. So he upgraded what he thought we needed next - team speed. I'm sure we'll find our franchise NT - as soon as - well - as soon as we can find him.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious View Post
    Bottom line is this entire board, combined, doesn't know half as much as Pioli knows about putting together a Superbowl winning team. It sounds cliche, but seriously, trust the process. I bet we get our franchise NT next year.
    Should we have also trusted that Herm Edwards knew so much?

Quote Originally Posted by KCINNYC View Post
    Are you really saying what I think you are saying, that you and a couple of other posters should be running the Front Office or could be doing a better job?

Seriously? Seriously. Seriously?
    Ha ha hah ahahahahahahahah I mean, wow. Seriously?

WRONG.
    Pssst. There are four teams in our division. I am guessing Moe, Larry and Curly could have secured, at least, fourth place.

--------------------------------------

Al Davis has Super Bowl rings too. Does that mean that noone could do a better job?

No matter how many Super Bowl rings ya have, it doesn't mean that you are great. It means that you played some part in a great TEAM. And, with any great team, some parts are far better than others.

Is Pioli one of the strong parts, or just another guy that benefitted from some other guys who were strong enough to compensate for the 'lesser' parts of the TEAM?

Faith has led so many to "just believe" that Pioli was one of the stronger links in that chain. I don't do that. For me, and many others, he has to show that, in order to earn that kind of faith.

I like him. I have high hopes for him. But I do not have faith.

I had faith in Dick Vermiel. He proved his worth. After taking a dismal Eagles team to a Super Bowl, he proved it by taking a dismal Rams team to the Super Bowl. Then he even turned around a dismal Chiefs team. Not quite getting it all together to make a Super Bowl trip.

Always question a guy's ability to do the job at the top level, until he proves you wrong.

--------------------------------------

If Micheal Jordan had concentrated on baseball, instead of basketball, would you have also laughed at him when he said that he could play in The NBA?

How about if Albert Einstein had decided to be a police detective, over a physicist? Would he be worth mocking for claiming to know something about Physics?

Ronald Reagen could have continued to pursue his acting career. But, instead, he chose to go into politics and become one of the most popular Presidents of the modern era.

When you laugh at someone who believes that they would be good at a job that they don't currently do, you come off as short-sighted and just someone who is trying to be an a**.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast