Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Exactly...

Default Exactly...

Sorry to ESPN and Bill Barnwell for taking this from their "Insider's" page, but this is EXACTLY how I feel. The Chiefs are still shopping for essentials like Milk and Eggs and daddy goes out and buys a nice $200 bottle of wine to go with the saltine crackers we'll be having for dinner.

Take it away, Bill...

There are two things we know for sure about the Chiefs and their 3-4 defense: You need a very good nose tackle to succeed in the NFL while playing a 3-4 scheme, and the Chiefs don't have one. Veteran Ron Edwards is a stopgap, and while he's game to try, he just can't handle the responsibilities that an excellent nose tackle needs to take care of so that the linebackers behind him can make plays.

Another thing we know is that a good nose tackle is hard to find. When teams get one, they tend to hold onto them until they either get hurt or fall out of favor with the organization -- think about the careers of Jamal Williams in San Diego or Kris Jenkins in Carolina as reasonable examples.

So, with three of the first 50 picks in the draft, how did a team that ranked 31st in run defense DVOA a year ago fail to upgrade its front seven? Taking Eric Berry will help things, but the Chiefs' two second-round picks were a running back (Dexter McCluster) they plan on converting to wide receiver, and a cornerback (Javier Arenas) who will play behind (as their #3 CB in nickel packages.)

Meanwhile, who was left on the board for each of those picks? Mammoth Alabama lineman Terrence Cody. At 354 pounds, Cody would have been the ideal two-gap space-filler the Chiefs need to clog running lanes and create opportunities for defensive playmakers like, coincidentally, Eric Berry. Instead, the Chiefs passed on him and Cody went to Baltimore, where he'll help Haloti Ngata create those opportunities for Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. Oh boy.

The McCluster pick was ok. The offense definitely needed more weapons. It's the Arenas pick that pisses me off. Pioli and Haley decided to revamp the entire defense into a 3-4 scheme. Fine. But you'd think that after 2 free agency periods and 2 drafts that they'd find the cornerstone piece of the 3-4 in a good NT. Building a 3-4 defense without a good NT is like implementing the wild-cat offense as your primary offense and having Jamarcus Russell at QB... IT'S NOT GONNA WORK!!

Even later, the Chiefs had a chance at taking another NT in the 4th with Cam Thomas...however, they decide to trade up and select an oft injured TE who is essentially going the be the #3 TE on the roster.

If Glenn Dorsey wasn't good enough last season to be a NT, why would he be good enough this year? If the Chiefs DO move him inside, who takes over at DE? The Chiefs NEEDED help at 3 of 4 major positions on defense and only filled 1. ILB, NT or DE, and Safety aren't complimentary defensive positions like a nickel CB is. If you build a defense and had your choice of a sub-par NT or sub-par Nickel CB, the smart person would pick the better NT over the NCB.

If you're good in the middle, your team is greatly improved. It's the same in nearly EVERY sport. It's MUCH easier to build around a great Center or PF in basketball than it is a great SG, SF or PG. In baseball, if your team is performing at above average to great at Catcher, SS, 2B, and CF, your team defense will be MUCH better than if you were above-average to great at LF, RF, 3B, and 1B.

If you look at the Chiefs, it's no coincidence that they have had a poor record the last few years because they've been below average up the middle. Their QB has been below average since 2006. Their Center hasn't been average since Weigman left. Their DTs have been HORRID due to either talent or inexperience. The last ILB who performed at an average level for the Chiefs was Kawika Mitchell, and their Safeties haven't performed any higher than average... and that's being generous.

So, our middle:
    QB: CHECK- I thought Pioli pulled a GREAT deal getting Cassel (AND Vrabel) for just a 2nd round pick last year.

C: REQUIRED- Weigman COULD be better than Niswanger, but at his age, he's definitely not someone we can build with. He's a stop-gap AT BEST.

NT: REQUIRED- Neither Ron Edwards nor Glenn Dorsey is the answer at NT for the Chiefs. Again, a 3-4 defense is primarily built around a NT and 2 off-seasons since Pioli's arrival and the Chiefs' switch to the 3-4, we STILL don't have one...

ILB: REQUIRED- For whatever reason, Haley won't play Derrick Johnson. Neither Cory Mays, Jevon Belcher, nor Demarrio Williams are the answer for the Chiefs at the ILB position. I think they've got ONE ILB on their roster who the Chiefs could build around but I doubt very seriously that the Chiefs will keep DJ after this season.

Safety: Check- The Eric Berry pick was a good pick. I think they could've found another safety with 2B that would have been serviceable, but Berry COULD have an Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu affect for the Chiefs' defense. I think Berry and Page are still going to have trouble in the secondary this season because the Chiefs did NOTHING with their front 7 to help their secondary. We're still going to rank near the bottom in sacks and rushing yards allowed because we don't have a NT or ILBs. When a team can run at will, that's going to do nothing but open up the passing game. Berry was a good pick. However, the Chiefs have failed AGAIN this season to improve their defense of any consequence. But, even if Eric Berry can play at the level of an Ed Reed or Polamalu, you have to remember that those guys were able to roam and make plays because they had guys like Casey Hampton, Tony Saregusa, Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Adalius Thomas, Larry Foote, and James Harrison performing in front of them. The Chiefs don't have NTs and LBs of that caliber on this roster. So, until they get those pieces in place, expect Berry and the rest of the secondary to have a tough time.

100% on the dot, I'm still pissed about picking Arenas.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Agreed.

Not that I think any of the players we picked will be bad. Just that we haven't improved on some of our biggest problems from, not only last season, but for several seasons now.

i like wine

go chiefs baby

we should have picked up cam thomas in the 5th round :(

we improved on off. def. spec teams and coaching

we improved on all aspects i think

no one here either??

this sucks

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast