Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticket Experiment

Default Ticket Experiment

So a few weeks back I found a link to a website that gave away pre-sale codes for concerts. The pre-sales codes allow you to get access to premium seats at the various concerts before the tickets go onsale to the general public. So I did an experiment to see if I could make money buying those tickets and then scalping them on stubhub.com. Here are my results:
    I purchased tickets to 5 shows that I thought would sell out:
    Bon Jovi
    Brad Paisley
    Eagles w/dixie chicks and keith urban
    Tom Petty
    Kings of Leon

My total cash outlay for these tickets was $1040
    My total inflow after StubHub fees was $1460
    Net profit: $420
    Time involved: 1-2 hours
    Return on investment: 40%

I was successful in selling my tickets for every concert because I made sure they were very competitively priced. Most of these concerts don't take place till July and the tickets are already sold. I may have been able to get more out of them, but decided that it was more important to get my money back out of them versus demanding top dollar.
    This business model seems scalable and I can completely understand why scalping is such a big business even if it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    So a few weeks back I found a link to a website that gave away pre-sale codes for concerts. The pre-sales codes allow you to get access to premium seats at the various concerts before the tickets go onsale to the general public. So I did an experiment to see if I could make money buying those tickets and then scalping them on stubhub.com. Here are my results:
    I purchased tickets to 5 shows that I thought would sell out:
    Bon Jovi
    Brad Paisley
    Eagles w/dixie chicks and keith urban
    Tom Petty
    Kings of Leon

My total cash outlay for these tickets was $1040
    My total inflow after StubHub fees was $1460
    Net profit: $420
    Time involved: 1-2 hours
    Return on investment: 40%

I was successful in selling my tickets for every concert because I made sure they were very competitively priced. Most of these concerts don't take place till July and the tickets are already sold. I may have been able to get more out of them, but decided that it was more important to get my money back out of them versus demanding top dollar.
    This business model seems scalable and I can completely understand why scalping is such a big business even if it's not for me.
    Which Bon Jovi concert was it? One they're doing with Kid Rock this summer?

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Wow! You could have made many times more that amount.

Interesting information, Coach. So with the profits you are buying a round of ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Wow! You could have made many times more that amount.
    Yeah, he most certainly could've, but I'm glad he didn't. :)

I couldn't do it, my conscience would eat away at me, hahaha. I know letting a conscience get to ya over scalping is likely silly, because the reality is the scalpers don't force any one to pay the amounts they're willing to pay...free enterprise, free will.

It's similar to blaming only the drug dealers, view the addicts as victims...well, those victims made/make the 'free will' choice to use drugs. The dealers wouldn't exist if the users didn't buy.

I've personally witnessed over the years many people who out of desperation, or realistically pure selfishness...will pay any price to acquire the best seats at a concert. In the meantime...they don't pay their bills, neglect their kids at times too, as a result of their 'music concert' and related partying addiction...and it is an addiction for many.

For me, music is a passion, and I would never put it above my kids, or any person's well being, including my own. Unfortunately it's not like that for all...for many it's not even about the music...it's about the environment, more about the sex & drugs than the Rock n Roll...sad to say. :(

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

How many tickets per concert?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    How many tickets per concert?
    2 tickets for every show except Bon Jovi where I did 4. I sold the Eagle/Dixie Chicks/Keith Urban tickets way too low. The show is at Soldier Field and I probably could have gotten double what I charged but I would have run the risk of getting stuck with the tickets.

Fun experiment, but I think I'll keep my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Yeah, he most certainly could've, but I'm glad he didn't. :)

I couldn't do it, my conscience would eat away at me, hahaha. I know letting a conscience get to ya over scalping is likely silly, because the reality is the scalpers don't force any one to pay the amounts they're willing to pay...free enterprise, free will.

It's similar to blaming only the drug dealers, view the addicts as victims...well, those victims made/make the 'free will' choice to use drugs. The dealers wouldn't exist if the users didn't buy.

I've personally witnessed over the years many people who out of desperation, or realistically pure selfishness...will pay any price to acquire the best seats at a concert. In the meantime...they don't pay their bills, neglect their kids at times too, as a result of their 'music concert' and related partying addiction...and it is an addiction for many.

For me, music is a passion, and I would never put it above my kids, or any person's well being, including my own. Unfortunately it's not like that for all...for many it's not even about the music...it's about the environment, more about the sex & drugs than the Rock n Roll...sad to say. :(
    Same here kiddo; I'm way too much of a straight arrow. I can't walk out of the super market with one more cent in change then I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Same here kiddo; I'm way too much of a straight arrow. I can't walk out of the super market with one more cent in change then I should have.
    Dang rite you wouldn't, in the store I work in! Cause that is one less cent, I might that need that for a raise in pay.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Dang rite you wouldn't, in the store I work in! Cause that is one less cent, I might that need that for a raise in pay.
    \

...And you sir where the very one I was thinking of when I made the above statement. We old geezers gotta stick together after all....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz.....What was I talking about???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast