Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: That Kool Aide is working!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Come on guys, everyone knows we didn't draft a NT or new LT or address the LB corps, there is no hope for this team. I could do a better job running things.

/sarcasm
    I (somehow) could sense your sarcasm here, but you aren't that far off, really. Teams do not win games without good LBs, a legit OL, or (if in a 3-4) a big NT clogging the middle. They especially don't win if they lack all three.

And I don't remember saying I could do things better. I don't have remotely the experience necessary to be a NFL GM. That being said, I know enough to know when a GM is doing a good job and one's doing a bad job.

When Herm Edwards was couting on Brodie Croyle to be his QBOTF and refusing to bulk up the OL, everyone could see it was a bad move. When we run a 3-4 and have terrible ILBs and NT, anyone can see it's a bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    I (somehow) could sense your sarcasm here, but you aren't that far off, really. Teams do not win games without good LBs, a legit OL, or (if in a 3-4) a big NT clogging the middle. They especially don't win if they lack all three.

And I don't remember saying I could do things better. I don't have remotely the experience necessary to be a NFL GM. That being said, I know enough to know when a GM is doing a good job and one's doing a bad job.

When Herm Edwards was couting on Brodie Croyle to be his QBOTF and refusing to bulk up the OL, everyone could see it was a bad move. When we run a 3-4 and have terrible ILBs and NT, anyone can see it's a bad move.
    Yes you have...

The reason I disagree with you is that there is so much more than just picking the best LB available, or the best NT available, or the best LT available. Most likely, these guys (NT and LB) didn't play the 3-4 defense and are going to go through the same transition the current guys are going through, with a lot less experience under their belt.

The New York Jets are a great example of what I'm talking about. Kris Jenkins, their pro-bowl NT got injured in week 6. Their defense didn't all the sudden turn into a train wreck. They don't have the greatest LB corps in the league either. What they do have is the best secondary in the league, and they have found success.

The Chiefs took a lot of steps towards upgrading a secondary that got burned a lot last year. The addition of Crennel will only help the defense. Guys are going to improve, and hopefully Crennel implements some schemes that keep offenses guessing.

All in all, the OL was addressed in Free Agency, we brought in one of the best RBs in the league last year in Thomas Jones, and the Defense was addressed heavily in the draft. I can't think of anything not to like. Branden Albert didn't give up a sack in the last 6 games last year. Things are looking up for him. The OL as a whole improved remarkably over the last 8 games. These things take time, you can't just bring in the best players in the league or draft and instantly have a Super Bowl team (see the Washington Redskins history). Just because the Chiefs didn't do things your way, I still find it hard to believe that you can't see any positive out of this. Then again, I understand that you care way too much about "being right", so the rest of us will think you are God's gift to analyzing Chiefs football.

Personal attacks aside, there is a very good chance all of your offseason rants about how we did everything wrong are proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    Why don't you guys all go be general managers since your obviously smarter than Pioli and company.
    When the position's open in a couple years, I'll apply. How about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    Open in a couple years my @ss lol. But i will support you buddy!
    Actually, after the Kendrick Lewis pick, maybe Hunt fired him on the spot. Please let me know, if so I'll forward my resume ASAP.

Qualification No. 1 - Would draft football players, not a bunch of projects and backup safeties.

Qualification No. 2 - See Qualification No. 1.
    Clark Hunt: "No thanks, we feel you are extremely underqualified for this position. We understand you are a casual fan with very strong opinions, but we're gonna hire a staff who knows what they are doing."
    bwilliams: "You're the guys who kept Herm Edwards on for three years, right? Think you're qualified to decide whether a staff knows what its doing?"

EDIT: "And I forgot, the guys who kept Carl Peterson at GM for a decade too long?"
    Clark Hunt: "That decision was left up to our GM at the time, Carl Peterson. Who I have since let go b/c of that foolishness. You should get your facts straight."
    You mean the incompetent GM you kept on for 10 years too many? Good decision that!
    Clark: "That was mostly my father, who has since deceased and handed the team over to me. Nice try again though."
    Your father got a SB to KC. You have 6-30 as your record running the team. I'll trust you as an owner the second we stop being the laughingstock of the NFL.
    See above

Yes you have...
    No, I haven't.

The reason I disagree with you is that there is so much more than just picking the best LB available, or the best NT available, or the best LT available. Most likely, these guys (NT and LB) didn't play the 3-4 defense and are going to go through the same transition the current guys are going through, with a lot less experience under their belt.
    You're right. There is much more to a building a team than just drafting the best NT or LB. But if your hopes for this team in 2010 revolve almost solely around our players suddenly getting a whole lot better, then you're grasping at straws.

The New York Jets are a great example of what I'm talking about. Kris Jenkins, their pro-bowl NT got injured in week 6. Their defense didn't all the sudden turn into a train wreck. They don't have the greatest LB corps in the league either. What they do have is the best secondary in the league, and they have found success.
    Wow. That is a complete misunderstanding of why the Jets defense worked last season. First and foremost, the Jets may have the best LB corps in the NFL.

Second, they managed to remain a powerhouse after Jenkins went down (1) because Sione Pouha stepped up big time at NT, and because they had great DEs (especially Ellis); (2) because they have terrific run-stoppers in Bart Scott and David Harris at ILB (as opposed to DeMorrio Williams and Corey Mays); (3) because they have Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas at OLB, both of whom are great against the run and (in Pace's case at least) rushing the passer; (4) they're exceptionally well coached; and (5) because their great secondary prevented long gains and TDs.

I think Crennel is a good start to (4). I think we made big strides towards (5) by getting Berry. We may be even OK at (3), although Vrabel can't really rush the passer anymore. It's (1) and (2) where we fall way short. And you can't run a 3-4 effectively without (1) and (2).

The Chiefs took a lot of steps towards upgrading a secondary that got burned a lot last year. The addition of Crennel will only help the defense. Guys are going to improve, and hopefully Crennel implements some schemes that keep offenses guessing.
    Absolutely right and absolutely wrong, for the reasons stated above. Crennel and Berry/Arenas are very good starts. But we're bringing back the same front seven that was obliterated game after game last season. You're hopes rest on their getting much better. Can you think of any team ever where that worked out?

Also, your secondary will always be burned, no matter how good, if you can't generate a pass rush, or if you have to play eight in the box because you can't stop the run.

All in all, the OL was addressed in Free Agency
    OK, no it wasn't. I loved the Asamoah pick, and I think he starts at C or RG over either Wiegmann or Lilja. And I like Lilja and Wiegmann. I think they'd be great backups for us, as they know the schemes and they're hometown heroes. But they weren't cut because they're great players. Wiegmann is old and small, and Lilja is oft-injured and small. Both were released precisely for those reasons. Not to mention that there are massive questions about Albert and O'Callaghan at OT, and that Waters won't be around forever.

, we brought in one of the best RBs in the league last year in Thomas Jones
    Agreed. I love this signing.

, and the Defense was addressed heavily in the draft.
    No, it wasn't! We drafted a free safety and a nickel CB in the first four rounds, and two special teams players/backups in the 5th. That is not addressing your defense heavily.

I can't think of anything not to like.
    That's your right. If you want to disagree with me, feel free.

Branden Albert didn't give up a sack in the last 6 games last year. Things are looking up for him. The OL as a whole improved remarkably over the last 8 games.
    Albert did improve. The whole line improved. That being said, we didn't play good defenses the last six weeks. We played the dregs. Albert is a fine LT when you're playing the Browns. He's not as fine when your playing the Ravens, Cowboys, or Steelers.

These things take time, you can't just bring in the best players in the league or draft and instantly have a Super Bowl team (see the Washington Redskins history). Just because the Chiefs didn't do things your way, I still find it hard to believe that you can't see any positive out of this.
    You're missing my point. It isn't that we didn't improve our personnel or coaching. It's just that I don't think our improvements this offseason equate to wins. That's because we didn't fix those aspects of the game that do equate to wins, like pass rush, pass protection (OL), and stopping the run. You can't win games unless you can do those three things. And our defensive hopes rest on a journeyman NT (S. Smith) and hopes that everyone else in the front seven plays a hell of a lot better than in 2009.

Then again, I understand that you care way too much about "being right", so the rest of us will think you are God's gift to analyzing Chiefs football.
    I don't care if people think I'm right. I just write how I see the team. If you can show me how I'm wrong, I'd be grateful. I don;t like being pessimistic. Hell, I was completely *optimistic* heading into the draft. Then I realized that our current management believes we're set in the front seven and OL. I don't agree, and I think we'll lose games because of it.

Personal attacks aside, there is a very good chance all of your offseason rants about how we did everything wrong are proven wrong.
    If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it. If I'm right, I expect the same courtesy from you.

See above
    Really? The line separating a joke from reality is a pretty thick one. I was writing about Pioli's lack of qualifications, not my own. As is painfully obvious.

Come on guys, everyone knows we didn't draft a NT or new LT or address the LB corps, there is no hope for this team. I could do a better job running things.

/sarcasm

Could not agree more And Who needs to see theses rookies play. They are terrible. Pioli should be fired right away.

Sarcasm is so fun

Um, yes, this stuff's been coming out of arrowhead for years. Remember last year at camps? How everyone was excited by the new schemes and training regimen? Remember the year before, how they were a bunch of young guys ho were going to prove themselves? Remember the year before, where we were going to try to replicate our playoff success? Or the year before, when Herm started and the Whitlocks of the world said we were going 16-0?

Seriously?

So you are talking about all the positive things that were coming out of LJ? Or was it Tony G? Or was it Brian Water? Were out team leaders really singing the praises of each other and their team? I don't think so. Please find me one person who said Herm was gonna take us to 16-0.

Are people's memories really that short?
    It would appear so.

...and I really feel bad for you if you don't get excited every year at the start of football season.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPHOJUNKIE View Post
    Wow, I bet you just level the kids on the playground with that kind of smack.

It's not "what I think."

You just offer absolutely zero interesting, worthwhile perspective. Your contribute absolutely nothing, except providing a viable antagonist to annoy the general public.

At the end of the day, though, at least I think, regardless of who cares. Based on your posts, it's a hell of a lot more than anyone can say for you.
    lol true

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Wow, surprise surprise....you agree with the negative posts!!

How is it a valid point that he said "Same story, Different Year" Have you honestly heard this kid ofstuff coming out of Arrowhead the last three years? If you think you have, you may want to check what team you have been following
    Ok. Since my answer was 'yes'. I went and checked on what team I was following.Sure enough, it was The Kansas City Chiefs.

Every year there are more stories about how the players are "finally buying into the system" or how "confidence is on the rise".

As for agreeing with "the negative post"...

Yes. I happen to agree with alot of "negative" opinions. But then, I also agree with alot of "positive" opinions too.

How dare I be able to see things from both sides!!!!

I don't see everything as "all roses and sunshine" and I don't see things as all "catastrophe and armageddon" But if you are one who is all "Catastrophe", then you will see me as "sunshine" because I still see the positives. And if you are one who is all "sunshine", then you will see me as a "catastrophe" guy because I can see the negative side too.

I have been called a "Homer" and accused of "drinking the kool-aid. Just like I have been accused of being a complete pessimist. Much more of the latter though.

Which makes me take a look at myself and wonder "Am I not seeing the positive side as I hope I am?"

Well, after determining that The Chiefs have been displaying a team that has had alot more negatives than positives for the past several years, pretty well matching the amounts of pos/neg that I have been noting that whole time, I figure that I am probably about in the right area.

But why, then, am I being labeled as a Pessimist so much more often than a homer?

Well, it really doesn't take alot to figure out that this site is made up of mostly optimistic, positive-seeing, homer types, far moreso than pure catastrophe-types.

I don't think that I have ever seen anyone on this site, for more than a couple of days, that was a full-on pessemist about The Chiefs. But that's because they get bombarded by the overwhelming, and sometimes overbearing, population of optimists on the site.

Bwill has been leaning that way since the draft. But I sure don't think he is as pessemistic as most of us seem to believe.

He has been primarily focused on the problems that this teams seems to have ignored this offseason. That is why I say he is "leaning" toward pessemism, because he is so focused on that aspect.

But he does still acknowledge the attempts to improve the team, including the coaching staff.

I fully expect him to run out of steam in his protest of the draft before too long. At some point, he is likely to get tired of that negative feeling and take a new look at the situation, where he may determine that the problem areas that did not get addressed through player additions still are likely to show some measure of improvement by a number of different factors.

Playing the 3-4 for a second season should make them quicker to make the right decision than they were during their first year of it. And having a legitimate 3-4 gameplan for each game should also provide some advantage. And if Crennel is above average at molding a 3-4 defense, then the improvement should measure even better.

I am still bothered by some of the decisions made this offseason. But I am aware that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Surprise surprise, you also write an essay defending the negativity. Call it whatever the hell you want, but it has been YEARS since we have heard a positive vibe FROM THE PLAYERS on this team. I don't give a sh!t if you read an article or made a post that was positive over the last few years. This thread is about players with a positive vibe and hopefully forming some team chemistry. Again, if you think that has been going on for the last few years, then you really need to start paying attention.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

this dude is a donkey fan that hangs out on this forum. and bashes the chiefs a little dose at a time.because he does not have the balls to come out and post his true colors

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast