Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Outlook

Default 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Outlook

I think our defense will look roughly the same as last year. A lot of 8-man fronts to protect our weakness against the run. Hopefully our secondary play will be good. I expect it will be.

I fully expect the major improvement on this team next year to be on offense. For lots of reasons. I think this offense will be good, really good. I'm excited about Matt Cassell.. I'm excited about Thomas Jones....and Moeaki, McCluster, Asomoah, etc. I'm excited about Charlie Weis. This Chiefs team will move the ball. And that my friends, along with Romeo Crennel, will make this defense better in 2010.

I start every year hopeful, but this year I'm excited. The best off-season I've witnessed as a Chiefs fan. The depth of talent that was added on the coaching staff and players is incredible. And we didn't lose anything through free agency.
    2010 will be a fun year to be a Chiefs fan. What are your predictions?
    Last edited by Coach; 06-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.

I think on defense Glen Dorsey needs to show up and earn his money. I love the acquisition of Berry. But I still think we're going to have trouble getting pressure on the QB without blitzing. The o-line still worries me and I wish we would have address it more in the draft. I think Cassell will be improved, especially with picking up Jones defenses will have to pay attention to the run more. Which should increase better opportunities for Cassell.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    I think on defense Glen Dorsey needs to show up and earn his money. I love the acquisition of Berry. But I still think we're going to have trouble getting pressure on the QB without blitzing. The o-line still worries me and I wish we would have address it more in the draft. I think Cassell will be improved, especially with picking up Jones defenses will have to pay attention to the run more. Which should increase better opportunities for Cassell.
    I think Glenn did ok considering he changed positions. It's the dude on the other side I would like to see earn his keep! TJ needs to improve and I'm looking forward to his sophmore year and what Crennel can do for him. By the way, that Mutai monkey is funny as he double hockey sticks!!!

You want an honest answer?

We have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season, which will help. Charles, assuming he stays healthy, should have a terrific year. Thomas Jones should improve our running game even more. And Berry should create a few turnovers and help our pass defense.

However, I don't think we have the horses yet on either defense or offense to do any real damage. We didn't improve our offensive line or defensive front seven in any appeciable way (guys like Ryan Lilja, Shaun Smith, and Casey Weigmann don't count). Many of our best players are getting old (Waters, Vrabel, Chambers). And guys like Demorrio Williams, Corey Mays, and Rudy Niswanger should even be sniffing starting jobs in the NFL, much less be our expected starters.

Really, everyone's hopes rest on guys like Cassel, TJ, Dorsey, Albert, and O'Callaghan improving greatly. That's dangerous to do. I can't think of any time that strategy actually worked. Our new coordinators are better than our old ones, but that can only go so far.

I don't think I need to rehash my feelings about our draft, except to say that I don't see those guys, no matter how good they are (and I think Berry and Asamoah will both be very good) , equating to more wins.

I think our opponents will do what they did last year. Blitz most downs on defense and run the ball right at us on offense. In short, if we win seven games this year, we should consider it a great year. Because I don't think we can reasonably expect to win more with our current level of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    You want an honest answer?

We have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this season, which will help. Charles, assuming he stays healthy, should have a terrific year. Thomas Jones should improve our running game even more. And Berry should create a few turnovers and help our pass defense.

However, I don't think we have the horses yet on either defense or offense to do any real damage. We didn't improve our offensive line or defensive front seven in any appeciable way (guys like Ryan Lilja, Shaun Smith, and Casey Weigmann don't count). Many of our best players are getting old (Waters, Vrabel, Chambers). And guys like Demorrio Williams, Corey Mays, and Rudy Niswanger should even be sniffing starting jobs in the NFL, much less be our expected starters.

Really, everyone's hopes rest on guys like Cassel, TJ, Dorsey, Albert, and O'Callaghan improving greatly. That's dangerous to do. I can't think of any time that strategy actually worked. Our new coordinators are better than our old ones, but that can only go so far.

I don't think I need to rehash my feelings about our draft, except to say that I don't see those guys, no matter how good they are (and I think Berry and Asamoah will both be very good) , equating to more wins.

I think our opponents will do what they did last year. Blitz most downs on defense and run the ball right at us on offense. In short, if we win seven games this year, we should consider it a great year. Because I don't think we can reasonably expect to win more with our current level of talent.
    Like any 4-12 team, this team had a LOT of wholes to fill during the off-season. I'd agree they didn't add long-term solutions for all of them, but they definitely got better. Hopefully you'll be enjoying the Kool-aid around December or January.

Nearly every team got better this off-season, but I think ours did more to improve than all but 2-3 other teams. None of which are in our division. The biggest improvements this offseason took place in Washington and Seattle IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Like any 4-12 team, this team had a LOT of wholes to fill during the off-season. I'd agree they didn't add long-term solutions for all of them, but they definitely got better. Hopefully you'll be enjoying the Kool-aid around December or January.
    In my opinion, there were holes that our team needed to fill in order to win games. While its nice that we may have long term solutions at FS, slot CB, scatback/3WR, and TE, I don't think it matters so long as we start the worst RT, NT, and ILBs in the league. Not to mention that we still have major questions at pretty much every position except RB, FS, and CB.

I understand that people want to give a new regime time. That we're all so thankful to be out of the Herm Edwards era that anything looks good next to it. But I don't think we can win many games with a 3-4 defense that lacks a NT, LOLB (Vrabel can't rush the passer and Studebaker can't defend the run), and ILBs. I don't think we can win with a precision passing game with WRs that drop the ball, no true TE (Moeaki was oft-injured in college, I don't trust him as a pro), and a *still* terrible OL. I don't think our running game will be able to be as awesome as they could because we'll be playing from behind most games.

Could I be wrong? Maybe. Hopefully. But I think the same people who slammed Herm for his idiotic defense, his inattention to the OL, his faith in a oft-hit unproven QB, and in general his belief that his schemes could overcome a lack of talent are now backing Pioli/Haley. Even though they're doing almost exactly the same things that sunk us in this mess to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nearly every team got better this off-season, but I think ours did more to improve than all but 2-3 other teams. None of which are in our division. The biggest improvements this offseason took place in Washington and Seattle IMO.
    I don't agree that Seattle got much better. I liked their draft and some of their offseason moves, but they're still a 5 to 6 win team, and will be until they get a QBOTF (Whitehurst ain't it) and a pass rush. And Washington is Washinton. They've have a great offseason, but they don't have the discipline to turn it into wins in the regular season.

And as much as I hate to say it, Oakland will win a few more games this season than last one. Getting rid of Russell guarentees that. The Broncos will be lucky to avoid 0-16 though, they're that bad.

The teams that had the best offseasons (IMO) were the Ravens and Packers, both of which should win between 12-14 games next season. As to who will improve by the most games, don't be shocked if it's the Bucs. They drafted sneakily great, they have a very good young OL, and they got Freeman some weapons.

Washington is Washinton. They've have a great offseason, but they don't have the discipline to turn it into wins in the regular season.

And as much as I hate to say it, Oakland will win a few more games this season than last one. Getting rid of Russell guarentees that. The Broncos will be lucky to avoid 0-16 though, they're that bad.

The teams that had the best offseasons (IMO) were the Ravens and Packers, both of which should win between 12-14 games next season. As to who will improve by the most games, don't be shocked if it's the Bucs. They drafted sneakily great, they have a very good young OL, and they got Freeman some weapons.
    I think Shanahan is, at least, the Redskins' attempt to change the atmosphere to diciplined. Not that I am willing to say that it WILL work. But he is well respected.

Oakland? Maybe. I think your term regarding the redskins may fit better with The Raiders. The Raiders are The Raiders. But every thunderstorm ends eventually.

For my money, the team that should show the most improvement, while not necessarily in the WIN column, is The 49ers.

They acquired a pair of monsters on the O-line, and then proceeded to get a top S prospect. Filling some major needs on that roster. They stll have a big situation at QB. But they down-graded the importance of the position by drafting so heavily on the O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think Shanahan is, at least, the Redskins' attempt to change the atmosphere to diciplined. Not that I am willing to say that it WILL work. But he is well respected.

Oakland? Maybe. I think your term regarding the redskins may fit better with The Raiders. The Raiders are The Raiders. But every thunderstorm ends eventually.

For my money, the team that should show the most improvement, while not necessarily in the WIN column, is The 49ers.

They acquired a pair of monsters on the O-line, and then proceeded to get a top S prospect. Filling some major needs on that roster. They stll have a big situation at QB. But they down-graded the importance of the position by drafting so heavily on the O-line.
    Eh, Shanahan's still riding Elway's coattails. He might be able to get the Skins to 1999-2008 Broncos levels of mediocrity, but that's pretty much where they were anyway. They have three teams in division who are better than they are, and they play a killer non-conference schedule. I think it's another 6-8 win season for the Skins.

I think Jason Campbell is an average QB who doesn't turn the ball over very much. Given that Russell was the worst QB of all time, and given that Oakland's got as easy of a schedule as we do mostly, and I could see them at 7-8 wins. Kind of like what you said with regards to the 49ers, they drafted a couple monster OL and a top ILB.

Speaking of the 49ers, I just don't believe in Alex Smith. And although Taylor Mays is a hard-hitter, he's extremely raw and will need a couple years before he's anything but a liability in coverage. Because their conference is so weak, I think another 8-8/9-7 season is in order, but I don't think they go any farther until they get a real QB.

Eh, Shanahan's still riding Elway's coattails. He might be able to get the Skins to 1999-2008 Broncos levels of mediocrity, but that's pretty much where they were anyway. They have three teams in division who are better than they are, and they play a killer non-conference schedule. I think it's another 6-8 win season for the Skins.

I think Jason Campbell is an average QB who doesn't turn the ball over very much. Given that Russell was the worst QB of all time, and given that Oakland's got as easy of a schedule as we do mostly, and I could see them at 7-8 wins. Kind of like what you said with regards to the 49ers, they drafted a couple monster OL and a top ILB.

Speaking of the 49ers, I just don't believe in Alex Smith. And although Taylor Mays is a hard-hitter, he's extremely raw and will need a couple years before he's anything but a liability in coverage. Because their conference is so weak, I think another 8-8/9-7 season is in order, but I don't think they go any farther until they get a real QB.
    McNabb is the QB is WSH now.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

In my opinion, there were holes that our team needed to fill in order to win games. While its nice that we may have long term solutions at FS, slot CB, scatback/3WR, and TE, I don't think it matters so long as we start the worst RT, NT, and ILBs in the league. Not to mention that we still have major questions at pretty much every position except RB, FS, and CB.

I understand that people want to give a new regime time. That we're all so thankful to be out of the Herm Edwards era that anything looks good next to it. But I don't think we can win many games with a 3-4 defense that lacks a NT, LOLB (Vrabel can't rush the passer and Studebaker can't defend the run), and ILBs. I don't think we can win with a precision passing game with WRs that drop the ball, no true TE (Moeaki was oft-injured in college, I don't trust him as a pro), and a *still* terrible OL. I don't think our running game will be able to be as awesome as they could because we'll be playing from behind most games.

Could I be wrong? Maybe. Hopefully. But I think the same people who slammed Herm for his idiotic defense, his inattention to the OL, his faith in a oft-hit unproven QB, and in general his belief that his schemes could overcome a lack of talent are now backing Pioli/Haley. Even though they're doing almost exactly the same things that sunk us in this mess to begin with.

I don't agree that Seattle got much better. I liked their draft and some of their offseason moves, but they're still a 5 to 6 win team, and will be until they get a QBOTF (Whitehurst ain't it) and a pass rush. And Washington is Washinton. They've have a great offseason, but they don't have the discipline to turn it into wins in the regular season.

I am VERY Happy that Mr Edwards is now on ESPN Tv and not on the sidelines for the chiefs. But I think this team did get better and will win More games then MANY think. When you go 2-14 and 4-12 you are NEVER going to fill close to all your needs in one offseason. It takes TIME. We as fans might hate that but thats just how it is.

I really think that this team is going to make a run at the playoffs. Part becuse we play the NFC West part becuse we have added some players and part that to many are ignoreing The HUGE upgrade in coaching. This team will be good this year just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    McNabb is the QB is WSH now.
    I know. I was responding to chief31's OAK comments. Unfortunately, we don't have Jamarcus Russell to kick around anymore.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast