Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Outlook

Default 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Outlook

I think our defense will look roughly the same as last year. A lot of 8-man fronts to protect our weakness against the run. Hopefully our secondary play will be good. I expect it will be.

I fully expect the major improvement on this team next year to be on offense. For lots of reasons. I think this offense will be good, really good. I'm excited about Matt Cassell.. I'm excited about Thomas Jones....and Moeaki, McCluster, Asomoah, etc. I'm excited about Charlie Weis. This Chiefs team will move the ball. And that my friends, along with Romeo Crennel, will make this defense better in 2010.

I start every year hopeful, but this year I'm excited. The best off-season I've witnessed as a Chiefs fan. The depth of talent that was added on the coaching staff and players is incredible. And we didn't lose anything through free agency.
    2010 will be a fun year to be a Chiefs fan. What are your predictions?
    Last edited by Coach; 06-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I am VERY Happy that Mr Edwards is now on ESPN Tv and not on the sidelines for the chiefs. But I think this team did get better and will win More games then MANY think. When you go 2-14 and 4-12 you are NEVER going to fill close to all your needs in one offseason. It takes TIME. We as fans might hate that but thats just how it is.

I really think that this team is going to make a run at the playoffs. Part becuse we play the NFC West part becuse we have added some players and part that to many are ignoreing The HUGE upgrade in coaching. This team will be good this year just wait and see.
    I'm not saying that we could have filled all of our needs in the past two offseasons. I agree with you entirely. After Herm decimated the team, the cupboard was that bare.

But if you asked the random fan going into the 2009 offseason (after the Cassel trade) what the biggest needs for the Chiefs were (knowing we were going 3-4), they probably would have said OL and defensive front seven. What are our biggest needs two offseasons later? OL and defensive front seven.

I think Eric Berry will be a terrific player for us. I think guys like McCluster, Arenas, Washington, Lawrence, etc. will be between serviceable and great as well. But it's been two offseasons, and we haven't fixed our biggest problems. Worse, it looks like we have no interest in fixing them.

I know some people here are enamored with Ryan Lilja, Casey Wiegmann, and Shaun Smith. But I'd bet even money that these three aren't even starting for us on opening say (Asamoah, Niswanger, and Edwards instead). I liked the picks of Jackson and Magee, but they're never going to be effective do long as Ron Edwards/Shaun Smith are starting at NT. We have one good LB in Tamba Hali, and a bunch of guys who should either be in 4-3 defenses or who should be reserves. I loved the Asamoah pick, but it's beyond belief that we're going to be starting Albert and O'Callaghan at OT and Niswanger (probably) at C still. After Waters retires in a year or two (and he's declining now), we're in even bigger trouble.

Look, I'm not trying to pi$$ on anyone's cornflakes here. I understand that having an OC and DC with six rings between them gives a lot of hope. And I could be wrong. Albert, Cassel, Dorsey, etc. could have just needed one more year of seasoning before they started playing well. But I've watched a lot of football over a lot of years. And I've never seen a team make that sort of jump.

Our guys weren't half-assing it last year. Ron Edwards played as hard as he possible could. So did Niswanger, O'Callaghan, Mays, Williams, Vrabel, Page, and every other guy who just wasn't good enough. A new coordinator, no matter how good, is probably not going to make them good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post

Our guys weren't half-assing it last year. Ron Edwards played as hard as he possible could. So did Niswanger, O'Callaghan, Mays, Williams, Vrabel, Page, and every other guy who just wasn't good enough. A new coordinator, no matter how good, is probably not going to make them good enough.
    Well, it isn't all about how good the new DC is, but also how bad the previous one was.

Let's use Ron Edwards as the face of this group of players who certainly did not meet our expectations last year.

If Edwards was being given a wrong list of assignment/priorities, then that means, if he does as he is told, no matter how good he might be, he will look terrible as he misses many assignments in favor of the one's he was taught.

I am with ya as far as thinking that alot of those guys are unable to do the job well anyway. But if they benefit a little bit from the removal of Pendergast, and maybe a little more from the addition of Crennel, and possibly even more from experience in the system, then it should be noticable over the season.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, it isn't all about how good the new DC is, but also how bad the previous one was.

Let's use Ron Edwards as the face of this group of players who certainly did not meet our expectations last year.

If Edwards was being given a wrong list of assignment/priorities, then that means, if he does as he is told, no matter how good he might be, he will look terrible as he misses many assignments in favor of the one's he was taught.

I am with ya as far as thinking that alot of those guys are unable to do the job well anyway. But if they benefit a little bit from the removal of Pendergast, and maybe a little more from the addition of Crennel, and possibly even more from experience in the system, then it should be noticable over the season.
    Well, sure. If Pendergast kept guys from reaching their peak potential, if Crennel helps them realize it, and if they improve from having experience in the system, then it'll show on the field.

But I don't think Pendergast was as terrible of a DC as people think. He's just average. He was good enough to help take AZ to the Super Bowl. He helped turn guys like Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby into stars. I don't think our defensive failings weren't entirely, or hell, mostly, his fault. I don't think any DC could have done better last year with what he had to work with. I mean, what did people think our defense was going to do?

I mean this without any exaggeration. I do not think any defensive coordinator will succeed in the NFL if he is forced to start Ron Edwards, Corey Mays, Jarrad Page, and Demorrio Williams. Especially when we really don't have a defensive superstar to cover their weaknesses.

I love Flowers as much as anyone, but he isn't even the best CB in this division. Hali is looking like a good-to-great ROLB, but he isn't a top-10 LB or anything. Except for those two (and maybe Berry), we don't really have any starters who would start for any but the most desparate teams in the NFL. I don't think Mays, Edwards, and Williams even make another team except maybe as special teamers.

Everyone knows you can't run a 3-4 defense without a true NT and some smart, tough, mean ILBs. If you can't get those players two offseasons (and I think we could have, but prioritized poorly), then don't run the 3-4. Remember when Herm Edwards tried to run the Cover 2 without Cover 2 LBs/ DTs and on grass? Same thing.

I think we've hired guys to run schemes that can't possibly work with our current personnel, no matter who the DC is. I think that will keep us near the bottom of the league in defense until either (1) we change the schemes; or (2) we change the players. And our front office is showing no indication they are going to do either (1) or (2).

I think that our coaching staff is seeing things we're not. We have 10 Defensive Lineman on the roster, with Ron Edwards and Shaun Smith as the elders. That's a lot of young defensive lineman still developing. We may already have our NT, who knows? The same can be said for our LB corps. Hali and Johnson will be starting this year, then we have Vrabel and a whole slew of young/er talent developing. This league isn't always about drafting and signing big free agents. The most important thing you can do is develop players and that doesn't happen quickly. We didn't have offensive gamechangers and our secondary was thin, so they shored it up. I trust this coaching regime and I think they're headed in the right direction. The only thing they whiffed on so far was adding more depth at the offensive tackle position. But I think they'll address that before the season starts. I'm very optimistic about our chances at hitting the postseason this year. We'll definitely have more of a "bend don't break" defense this year and may have a VERY explosive offense!! GO CHIEFS!!!!!
    Great Googly Moogly

RyanD82 - Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123