Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Outlook

Default 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Outlook

I think our defense will look roughly the same as last year. A lot of 8-man fronts to protect our weakness against the run. Hopefully our secondary play will be good. I expect it will be.

I fully expect the major improvement on this team next year to be on offense. For lots of reasons. I think this offense will be good, really good. I'm excited about Matt Cassell.. I'm excited about Thomas Jones....and Moeaki, McCluster, Asomoah, etc. I'm excited about Charlie Weis. This Chiefs team will move the ball. And that my friends, along with Romeo Crennel, will make this defense better in 2010.

I start every year hopeful, but this year I'm excited. The best off-season I've witnessed as a Chiefs fan. The depth of talent that was added on the coaching staff and players is incredible. And we didn't lose anything through free agency.
    2010 will be a fun year to be a Chiefs fan. What are your predictions?
    Last edited by Coach; 06-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.

I think your right on with everything you said.
    This offense has the skill positions set. Still not sure about the line, but the zone blocking they went to last year seemed to help a lot.
    I wasn't so sure about the Mcluster pick when it happened, but now he's the guy I am most excited about, he could be what makes the Chiefs offense truly explosive.

The defense should be tons better with Crennel calling the shots. Also the young d-line will have another year under thier belt. Throw in Berry and an offense that can stay on the field, and things are looking pretty good.

Chiefs in 2011

I am cautiously optimistic, I have been to up on the team too many times just to be let down. I agree the offense should be better in fact it many be good if the receivers can hold onto the ball and we don't lead the league in dropped passes again and as you say that should keep them on the field longer and the porous defense on the bench which should help their numbers. But I guess I am taking the stance that I am from Missouri and you have to show me. Don't get me wrong there is nothing more in sports than the Chiefs being good and making the SB again it is just I have had my heart broken too many times by them. Do I want them to be good He11 yes but I think this may not be the year but I do expect them to be an improved team and one fun to watch again.

This season is the first time in a long time that I am 100% looking forward to the season. I no that we are not going to be a superbowl team but I can say that I think this team is going in the right direction. I cant wait till week one. Its going to be a much better season then we have seen in a while. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You nailed it right on the head, from the coaching and player upgrades, the new stadium and don't forget, the schedule is a lot more Chiefs friendly! I got the Chiefs at 8-8 and possibly 9-7. McCluster might be a sleeper FF pick and the secondary should be terrific.

I start every year cautiously optimistic, but this year I'm hopeful. I think we will be greatly improved offensively with the off-season "O" line acquisitions and Charlie Weis and I'm hopeful that Crennel will whip into shape the defensive front line.

Cautious: 6-10
    Best case: 10-6

There will be improvement, and there is the potential for it to be significant with the acquisitions made this off season.

I think we may be on the cusp of reviving Dick Vermeil's Flying Circus. That's a good thing. Dexter McCluster will bring a lot to the table with his ability to be inserted into several different roles. I can't wait to see what they dream up for him.

The defense will no doubt be better under Crennell, but he's going to have to get creative with the blitz packages to get into the backfield more frequently, I think. This side of the ball is kind of the wild card, along with the kick coverage and return teams.
    Last edited by PawnshopMarimba; 06-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.

I think the defense is extremely dependant upon Crennel's work in order to see any improvement. And I think we will see quite a bit.

Just replacing Pendergast should make an improvement. But if Crennel is half as smart as advertised, then we may actually see opponents do quite a bit of punting.

The big question about the offense, for me, is Cassel. I don't think we did much to improve the pass protection from last season. But we added McCluster as a quick-pass option, to ensure that we will not be as dependant upon good pass protectors.

The worry I have with that is that Cassel is most certainly not known for his quick decision-making ability behind Center. In fact, he is often criticized as a guy who regularly takes too long to get rid of the ball.

The hopes for McCluster are that he will be similar to a Wes Welker. But Cassel earned his rep for holding the ball even when he had the actual Wes Welker on the team.

It will be two years later, with time to have improved on his bad habits. But even our new OC was critical of Cassel's ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

If Cassel can make the adjustments needed and expected from him, then, with the running game that was established last season, combined with T. Jones, we may, in fact, be looking at a very powerful offense this year.

But going from being a slow decision maker to a very quick one is a huge change. Every QB is urged to become a quicker decision maker. But few are able to pull off that feat.

Looking at the amount of criticism he endured last year, (quite undeservedly in my opinion) and having been granted a new OC and slot WR, if he is even slow to make the changes, then he may become public enemy number one in Kansas City.

I don't see any way that this team doesn't improve upon a 4-12 record. For now, I stay with a safe prediction of 6-10.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think the defense is extremely dependant upon Crennel's work in order to see any improvement. And I think we will see quite a bit.

Just replacing Pendergast should make an improvement. But if Crennel is half as smart as advertised, then we may actually see opponents do quite a bit of punting.

The big question about the offense, for me, is Cassel. I don't think we did much to improve the pass protection from last season. But we added McCluster as a quick-pass option, to ensure that we will not be as dependant upon good pass protectors.

The worry I have with that is that Cassel is most certainly not known for his quick decision-making ability behind Center. In fact, he is often criticized as a guy who regularly takes too long to get rid of the ball.

The hopes for McCluster are that he will be similar to a Wes Welker. But Cassel earned his rep for holding the ball even when he had the actual Wes Welker on the team.

It will be two years later, with time to have improved on his bad habits. But even our new OC was critical of Cassel's ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

If Cassel can make the adjustments needed and expected from him, then, with the running game that was established last season, combined with T. Jones, we may, in fact, be looking at a very powerful offense this year.

But going from being a slow decision maker to a very quick one is a huge change. Every QB is urged to become a quicker decision maker. But few are able to pull off that feat.

Looking at the amount of criticism he endured last year, (quite undeservedly in my opinion) and having been granted a new OC and slot WR, if he is even slow to make the changes, then he may become public enemy number one in Kansas City.

I don't see any way that this team doesn't improve upon a 4-12 record. For now, I stay with a safe prediction of 6-10.
    The biggest thing for Cassle is for him to learn when to throw the ball away. Its one thing to have 2nd and 10 its anther to have 2 and 20.

The O line didn't get as much help as I thought that it would this offseason. But going back and looking it was starting to get better and They did get some help for it. I just hope that its enough for the passing game to be able to take some shots down the field. The running game we saw at the end of the year could be decent. Charles ran behind that line when he broke out last season. Lets just hope that its enough.

I think this team will make a run at the playoffs. I really do. Maybe thats just wishful thinking but I see this being a turn around year in a big way. I cant wait for the preseason games to start so we can start talking about games again. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The biggest thing for Cassle is for him to learn when to throw the ball away. Its one thing to have 2nd and 10 its anther to have 2 and 20.

The O line didn't get as much help as I thought that it would this offseason. But going back and looking it was starting to get better and They did get some help for it. I just hope that its enough for the passing game to be able to take some shots down the field. The running game we saw at the end of the year could be decent. Charles ran behind that line when he broke out last season. Lets just hope that its enough.

I think this team will make a run at the playoffs. I really do. Maybe thats just wishful thinking but I see this being a turn around year in a big way. I cant wait for the preseason games to start so we can start talking about games again. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!
    I can't say that I will be shocked if they wind-up challenging for the division crown. Along with the changes that we have made, the rest of the division has also made some significant changes. And alot of what I see from our rivals doesn't look good for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast