Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again.

Hybrid View

Default Here we go again.

This originally spawned from a post here:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/sh...t=1212&page=13

However, I figured with a few revisions, this was worthy of it's own thread. Here goes...

If we get to the point where we have no chance at the playoffs, I still won't want the Chiefs to lose games, but I also won't care nearly as much if we do lose and get a higher draft pick. However, I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing this "playing for a draft pick" crap when we are only 1 week into the regular season. Seriously what kind of fans give up all hope for their team before the first snap of the season or after only one loss? The Chiefs' nation are supposed to be the most dedicated and commited fans in the NFL. I live in KC, and I haven't seen said dedication around town nor in forums this year except in a few cases.

Those who are optimistic and excited about the season here on chiefscrowd.com know who you are and those of you who have your doubts (and rightfully so), are not necessarily any less dedicated than I. We all have them at some point or another. However, if you proclaim yourself to be a Chiefs' fan and throw this team's season under the bus before it's really even started then you have no spine as a fan in my opinion.

These naysayers want to call their fair-weather mentality being 'realistic' and say that they have 'perspective'. Hey, if I'm deceiving myself about the Chiefs' chances this year, then so be it. Part of being a dedicated, commited, and TRUE fan is hope for success and belief in your team. Dedication is standing straight and tall in the face of grim odds. Commitment is staying steadfast, rigid, and rock-solid while defending your beliefs no matter how dire the situation may seem.

I will stand by this team and say we have a chance to go all the way this year until it is no longer mathematically possible. Sure I may be dreaming or whatever but I'm not just a fan, I'm a FANADDICT! I'm not going to mope around, being depressed about the Chiefs, while there is still the most remote possibility for them to succeed. I don't get to watch enough Chiefs' football as it is because the season is too short for my taste. I will always try to make it as interesting and fun as possible at least for myself. Nobody will EVER take from me the enjoyment and excitement I feel at the beginning of a fresh season of watching the Chiefs.

Let me put it to you this way: In Mel Gibson's movie, "The Patriot", when the guy is told to burn down the church full of people to prove his loyalty to England, would you have done it because the impossible odds of refusing the order and in turn fighting an entire regiment of British soldiers alone? Would you forever carry the weight of burning innocent people alive because you "didn't have a choice" or because "it was going to happen anyway"?

Or would you have pulled your sidearm, put a bullet right in the dome of the piece of garbage that gave the order, and then proceed to send as many of those a-holes to hell as you could until they took you down? Sure, the church may still get burned after they kill you, but at least your soul is not the one stained with such a hanus act and you went down fighting...
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

i can understand frustration by fans who drop that kind of cash every season to watch the team play. If i lived there, i'd be doing the same thing. But, the fact that the Chiefs' fans are so dedicated is the reason why Carl Peterson still has a job and at least one factor why the Chiefs don't have a ring.

If the fans keep paying the same money to watch a mediocre team, why worry about trying to win a title? Arrowhead as been amazing since it was built. But every year has ended in the same heart break. Usually teams have to make playoff runs or win titles to get the kind of attendance the Chiefs enjoy year in and year out.

If the locals keep spending the money, what's the motivation to win a title?

You may not like "playing for a draft pick", but it's not like anything else has worked in the last 5 decades...why don't we try something new?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    i can understand frustration by fans who drop that kind of cash every season to watch the team play. If i lived there, i'd be doing the same thing. But, the fact that the Chiefs' fans are so dedicated is the reason why Carl Peterson still has a job and at least one factor why the Chiefs don't have a ring.

If the fans keep paying the same money to watch a mediocre team, why worry about trying to win a title? Arrowhead as been amazing since it was built. But every year has ended in the same heart break. Usually teams have to make playoff runs or win titles to get the kind of attendance the Chiefs enjoy year in and year out.

If the locals keep spending the money, what's the motivation to win a title?

You may not like "playing for a draft pick", but it's not like anything else has worked in the last 5 decades...why don't we try something new?
    I agree that CP will be here and will keep settling for mediocrity as long as tickets sell. Season ticket sales are lower this year, however and the organization is trying more advertising and such in order to sell some of the tickets that are normally already taken.

Getting a high draft pick is not the cure-all for any football team. There have been numerous high-pick flops in the NFL. There have also been many teams that have done well in the draft with a lower pick. The real gems are guys like Priest Holmes and Jared Allen-- undrafted free agents and later-round picks that shine when they get their chances.

Getting a high draft pick means nothing if you don't draft the right players and I don't have enough confidence in the draft-day decision making of Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson to forfeit an entire season for a high pick that they will probably screw up.

Unfortunately, I don't think that our woes on the o-line will be cured by the organization any time soon. Either through the draft or even free agency for that matter. Edwards is notorious for neglecting the offensive line. Hence why Pennington was hurt so much and why Curtis Martin was run into the ground during Edward's tenure with the Jets.

We need to hope the guys we have can improve and play well because I really don't see us having the necessary dedication to re-building the o-line as long as Herman Edwards is in Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I agree that CP will be here and will keep settling for mediocrity as long as tickets sell. Season ticket sales are lower this year, however and the organization is trying more advertising and such in order to sell some of the tickets that are normally already taken.

Getting a high draft pick is not the cure-all for any football team. There have been numerous high-pick flops in the NFL. There have also been many teams that have done well in the draft with a lower pick. The real gems are guys like Priest Holmes and Jared Allen-- undrafted free agents and later-round picks that shine when they get their chances.

Getting a high draft pick means nothing if you don't draft the right players and I don't have enough confidence in the draft-day decision making of Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson to forfeit an entire season for a high pick that they will probably screw up.

Unfortunately, I don't think that our woes on the o-line will be cured by the organization any time soon. Either through the draft or even free agency for that matter. Edwards is notorious for neglecting the offensive line. Hence why Pennington was hurt so much and why Curtis Martin was run into the ground during Edward's tenure with the Jets.

We need to hope the guys we have can improve and play well because I really don't see us having the necessary dedication to re-building the o-line as long as Herman Edwards is in Kansas City.
    just a quick example...there are plenty others. We've had plenty of #20 something draft picks and plenty of lower round draft picks...i'm still waiting for our saviour to come out of the wood work....hey!!! maybe it's Sippio!!! lol

just a quick example...there are plenty others. We've had plenty of #20 something draft picks and plenty of lower round draft picks...i'm still waiting for our saviour to come out of the wood work....hey!!! maybe it's Sippio!!! lol
    We were awefully competetive with FREE AGENTS like Priest Holmes, Willie Roaf and Trent Green. But, since they weren't our top-??? draft picks, then clearly none of those guys were good enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    We were awefully competetive with FREE AGENTS like Priest Holmes, Willie Roaf and Trent Green. But, since they weren't our top-??? draft picks, then clearly none of those guys were good enough for you.
    Trent Green and Priest Holmes were great pick ups...Roaf was not a FA. We traded Joe Horn for him...remember?...i do...i was umm...18 or 19...being young has benefits. You remember crap. That was foresight...which we are lacking now...just imagine what we could've gotten if we had kept all that cash and recieved a CB plus a couple first day picks. Oh well.

I love the chiefs always have and always will. I made that statement once if we are going to have a losing season i would rather have it a bomb but that doesnt stop me going to the bars here in colorado and cheering my Chiefs on I will cheer them every game but still at the end of the season would i rather be 8-8 or 0-16 Well i would never want something that bad but im just saying if we are not going to the playoffs then i would rather get a high draft pick but i will cheer for the chiefs every game. I just think that we are in for a long season and the name brennan would be nice on a chiefs jersey but so would Quinn lmao damn cowboys !

i think some are overreacting to the O-line. I think you'll get a better picture of what this line can do after they've played some games together. evaluating the O-line should come after the season or at least 2/3 of the way thru...not after 1 game. The middle 3 and TEs are solid. The line doesn't need to be rebuilt, just needs an upgrade.

...and we've done A LOT better in the draft recently with Edwards than we EVER did with Vermeil. There have also been a lot more hits than misses in the top 5 in recent years. Just because there have been a couple poor picks like Leaf and Couch doesn't mean it's bad to have a top pick. Even competitive teams who need solid QBs don't look to later rounds to find them. Just look at what the Broncos did last year. They traded up so they could grab Cutler. They didn't wait till the third round and hope Croyle might still be there.

Just because there have been a couple poor picks like Leaf and Couch doesn't mean it's bad to have a top pick.

Could you do us a favor and quote someone saying that having a high pick was a bad thing. You have accused several people of doing so. Playing for a draft spot, when you are 0-1 is a bad thing, but having a high pick is a good thing and noone would argue that.

i think some are overreacting to the O-line. I think you'll get a better picture of what this line can do after they've played some games together. evaluating the O-line should come after the season or at least 2/3 of the way thru...not after 1 game. The middle 3 and TEs are solid. The line doesn't need to be rebuilt, just needs an upgrade.

...and we've done A LOT better in the draft recently with Edwards than we EVER did with Vermeil. There have also been a lot more hits than misses in the top 5 in recent years. Just because there have been a couple poor picks like Leaf and Couch doesn't mean it's bad to have a top pick. Even competitive teams who need solid QBs don't look to later rounds to find them. Just look at what the Broncos did last year. They traded up so they could grab Cutler. They didn't wait till the third round and hope Croyle might still be there.
    I agree on the o-line. "Rebuild" was the wrong word. I think they will get better as the season goes on. I was just saying that Herm seems to have a tendency to forget about the big guys in the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Could you do us a favor and quote someone saying that having a high pick was a bad thing. You have accused several people of doing so. Playing for a draft spot, when you are 0-1 is a bad thing, but having a high pick is a good thing and noone would argue that.
    Eggsactly! A high draft pick is good but it doesn't automatically cure all of a team's woes. And YES, playing for a draft pick after the first game is totally ridiculous, I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast