Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A positive note about Kyle Turley

Default A positive note about Kyle Turley

I noticed a problem with the Chiefs' pass-protection. At first I was thinking that Kyle Turley was the problem, because the pressure was coming from his end of the line. Upon further study, on several plays, I noticed that John Welborne was not getting into any kind of position to "take over" the defensive end, from Turley, on stunts on that side of the line. Nor was he adjusting to the outside of Turley, to pick-up the defensive tackle, who was going to the outside on the stunt. This was leaving Turley with a choice. Leave the defensive end to easily beat an out-of-position Welbourne, or allow the defensive tackle to come-clean, on the outside.

Turley did the best that he could, by holding his ground against the defensive end, then trying to let him go, when the tackle had gotten to apoint of being the more immediate threat. It didn't work, because he was essentially being left with the responsibility of trying to block both guys. All he could do is block the more immediate threat, (the defensive end) until the tackle got close enough to become the more immediate threat. By that time, both players would have been too close to choose between and it would have been too late.

I applaud Turleys effort and hope that the Chiefs have noticed the exposure of Welbournes weakness. If it doesn't get fixed, then Turley will continue to look bad, by trying to cover for the failures of Welbourne. The Texans certainly noticed the problem, as they ran that stunt several times, in the Chiefs last couple of possessions.

Nice observation. I didn't pick up on that.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Nice observation. I didn't pick up on that.
    The line is what I like to watch, when replaying a game. I can't watch it during a live broadcast, and it is easily overlooked by most.

In watching the line-play, I noticed that Alphonso Boone was kicking even more a55 than what I had heard. He was destroying the Texans' Center. (Not checking for that guys name, right now.) I mean totally dominating the guy. Going at him face to face, on a few plays, and helping him to his seat on the field. I think he can have a very big impact on the performance of this defense, over the course of the season.

Yeah, I was really impressed with Boone. The back-to-back sack and run stuff on consecutive plays was freakin' sweet!

Yeah, I was really impressed with Boone. The back-to-back sack and run stuff on consecutive plays was freakin' sweet!
    Even on some plays where he didn't get to the ball-carrier, he was still beating the crap out of that center.

I love that tackle he put on Ahman Green, he squashed him like a pancake!

I hope the Chiefs coaching staff picks up on that this week in meetings watching video and gets Jason to step it up.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Either the coaching staff didn't pick-up on this, or Welbourne just didn't change anything. This week, on several plays, I witnessed the exact same thing. Turley winds-up bloking the defensive end, on the inside move, while Welbourne is underneath that blocking noone. He is failing miserably against the d-line stunts. The defensive tackles are coming around the outside, untouched! Turley could let the DE go and expose Welbournes failure, or continue to block the inside rusher, while the DT goes to the outside alone. He has been making the right choice. I am sure that Kyle has pointed this out to his o-line coach, but it has not changed yet.

Kyle Turley has become a very good RT again. But, he can't block two guys in pass-protection.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Either the coaching staff didn't pick-up on this, or Welbourne just didn't change anything. This week, on several plays, I witnessed the exact same thing. Turley winds-up bloking the defensive end, on the inside move, while Welbourne is underneath that blocking noone. He is failing miserably against the d-line stunts. The defensive tackles are coming around the outside, untouched! Turley could let the DE go and expose Welbournes failure, or continue to block the inside rusher, while the DT goes to the outside alone. He has been making the right choice. I am sure that Kyle has pointed this out to his o-line coach, but it has not changed yet.

Kyle Turley has become a very good RT again. But, he can't block two guys in pass-protection.
    I was looking for it some this week and noticed it too. There was one play in particular I remember that I saw Welbourne just standing there while Turley engaged the end and the d-tack just came on around the outside on a stunt. Welbourne was still on the inside of Turley and stood there while Damon got hit. I didn't even see him begin to move. Seemed like not only a mistake, but poor effort as well.

EDIT: It may have been a linebacker, I can't remember. But I know that Welbourne was standing there looking at Damon get hit, already turned around for a few seconds, like he stood up when the ball was snapped and didn't see anybody to block so he just turned around and stood there to watch Damon throw the ball.
    Last edited by m0ef0e; 09-17-2007 at 09:40 PM.

I was looking for it some this week and noticed it too. There was one play in particular I remember that I saw Welbourne just standing there while Turley engaged the end and the d-tack just came on around the outside on a stunt. Welbourne was still on the inside of Turley and stood there while Damon got hit. I didn't even see him begin to move. Seemed like not only a mistake, but poor effort as well.

EDIT: It may have been a linebacker, I can't remember. But I know that Welbourne was standing there looking at Damon get hit, already turned around for a few seconds, like he stood up when the ball was snapped and didn't see anybody to block so he just turned around and stood there to watch Damon throw the ball.
    This reminds me of my dad's favorite quote (he coached most of my teams growing up)...if anyone was standing around watching (didn't matter what sport...baseball, football, soccer, etc.) he'd ask if we wanted a hotdog and a soda, there's an open seat next to mom in the stands...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast