Thread: Whitlock: Rap on LJ? He made dumb mistake

Post Whitlock: Rap on LJ? He made dumb mistake

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/276136.html

Whitlock: Rap on LJ? He made dumb mistake

The only way to understand the “Larry Johnson Rap” is to start the speculation at the very beginning.

Sorry, I don’t buy all the denials, the claims of a Larry impersonator. They don’t add up. Look, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

This column will operate from the premise that Larry rapped the profane lyrics that could be heard on SBL Mob’s MySpace page until late Friday morning.

With that in mind, here’s what I believe happened:

1. As 28-year-old wannabe gangsta rappers are apt to do, Larry attended a house party frequented by other wannabe gangsta rappers. At some point, Larry forgot who he was, forgot that he had far more to lose than all the other wannabe gangsta rappers at the party, grabbed the microphone and busted out a “freestyle” rap expressing angst about his contract situation.

It was a stupid joke, born out of immaturity, frustration, insecurity, timing and maybe even alcohol consumption. It happens. It was a joke, a bad one. But Larry in no way thought he was making a rap song. He was clowning around in private. Therefore, it’s impossible for me to take the whole thing seriously.

2. Later, the wannabe gangsta rappers, members of SBL Mob, figured they had something cool for their poorly trafficked MySpace page. They posted the song and a picture of Larry (taken from Google images) on their page, creating the perception with their minuscule group of fans that SBL Mob is down with LJ, who is down with Jay-Z, who is down with Beyoncé, who wants to be down with me. You follow?

3. Someone alerted wannabe investigative journalist Kevin Kietzman that Larry Johnson could be heard on MySpace cussing, talking about guns, using the N-word and dissing Carl Peterson and Priest Holmes.

Kietzman, a man who is losing his radio ratings to Bland and Blander and is overshadowed at his own station by Soren Petro, sensed an opportunity for a ratings coup and a chance to bash Carl Peterson.

With that in mind, Kietzman used his radio pulpit to paint the picture that LJ’s latest act of immaturity might get the running back in trouble with law-and-order commissioner Roger Goodell. Kietzman also focused on Johnson’s alleged use of the “F” word before his utterance of Carl Peterson’s name.

4. TV stations KSHB and FOX 4 followed Kietzman’s lead and placed LJ’s rap at the top of their newscasts.

5. Wannabe NFL legend Carl Peterson and his staff of minions fell into Kietzman’s trap. Fearing Goodell, unsure of an Imuslike fallout from LJ’s politically incorrect rap and deciding that no laws were broken and no one got hurt, the Chiefs assumed a quick-dismissive denial was the proper course of action.

Larry went Shaggy — “it wasn’t me.” Herm Edwards didn’t want anyone to get it twisted — he doesn’t listen to gangsta rap. And Carl contemplated a parking-price increase.

6. Kietzman correctly sensed that he’d created a Ricky Clemons situation — “them (Chiefs) be shaking” — and continued to stir the pot with a brilliant Friday monologue. Calling Larry’s rap a “scandal,” Kietzman said Johnson should be suspended for allegedly freestyle rapping “F--- Carl Peterson,” and the talk-show host also expressed disgust that Johnson rapped about “killing” people. Kietzman insisted that this was an issue that required a prompt response from Peterson and possible action from the commissioner’s office.

Before his Friday show was over, Kietzman had interviewed two members of the SBL Mob and Basement Entertainment who contradicted Larry’s story about an impersonator.

7. After a day’s worth of pressure and fear of the SBL Mob getting exposed — one of the group’s members is currently incarcerated, according to its MySpace page — SBL Mob decided it was best to go with Larry’s impersonator story.

My response?

All I can do is tip my hat to Kietzman. He turned Larry’s relatively harmless act of stupidity into two days of outstanding radio, and he convinced many people in KC that Larry’s crime was allegedly rapping “F--- Carl Peterson,” something Kietzman and every other sane football fan in this city says on a regular basis.

Larry’s crime, if he committed one, is being a millionaire football player from a great family who wants to be a gangsta rapper. Larry’s crime, if he committed one, is being a grown black man and thinking there’s something cool about repeatedly yelling the N-word and rapping about guns in front of a crowd.

Larry’s crime, if he committed one, is sinking to the level of the SBL Mob in order to fit in.

Is it surprising? No. Is it sad? Absolutely.

What should the Chiefs do about it? Pray that Larry runs for 150 yards and two TDs on Sunday.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/276136.html

Whitlock: Rap on LJ? He made dumb mistake

The only way to understand the “Larry Johnson Rap” is to start the speculation at the very beginning.

Sorry, I don’t buy all the denials, the claims of a Larry impersonator. They don’t add up. Look, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

This column will operate from the premise that Larry rapped the profane lyrics that could be heard on SBL Mob’s MySpace page until late Friday morning.

With that in mind, here’s what I believe happened:

1. As 28-year-old wannabe gangsta rappers are apt to do, Larry attended a house party frequented by other wannabe gangsta rappers. At some point, Larry forgot who he was, forgot that he had far more to lose than all the other wannabe gangsta rappers at the party, grabbed the microphone and busted out a “freestyle” rap expressing angst about his contract situation.

It was a stupid joke, born out of immaturity, frustration, insecurity, timing and maybe even alcohol consumption. It happens. It was a joke, a bad one. But Larry in no way thought he was making a rap song. He was clowning around in private. Therefore, it’s impossible for me to take the whole thing seriously.

2. Later, the wannabe gangsta rappers, members of SBL Mob, figured they had something cool for their poorly trafficked MySpace page. They posted the song and a picture of Larry (taken from Google images) on their page, creating the perception with their minuscule group of fans that SBL Mob is down with LJ, who is down with Jay-Z, who is down with Beyoncé, who wants to be down with me. You follow?

3. Someone alerted wannabe investigative journalist Kevin Kietzman that Larry Johnson could be heard on MySpace cussing, talking about guns, using the N-word and dissing Carl Peterson and Priest Holmes.

Kietzman, a man who is losing his radio ratings to Bland and Blander and is overshadowed at his own station by Soren Petro, sensed an opportunity for a ratings coup and a chance to bash Carl Peterson.

With that in mind, Kietzman used his radio pulpit to paint the picture that LJ’s latest act of immaturity might get the running back in trouble with law-and-order commissioner Roger Goodell. Kietzman also focused on Johnson’s alleged use of the “F” word before his utterance of Carl Peterson’s name.

4. TV stations KSHB and FOX 4 followed Kietzman’s lead and placed LJ’s rap at the top of their newscasts.

5. Wannabe NFL legend Carl Peterson and his staff of minions fell into Kietzman’s trap. Fearing Goodell, unsure of an Imuslike fallout from LJ’s politically incorrect rap and deciding that no laws were broken and no one got hurt, the Chiefs assumed a quick-dismissive denial was the proper course of action.

Larry went Shaggy — “it wasn’t me.” Herm Edwards didn’t want anyone to get it twisted — he doesn’t listen to gangsta rap. And Carl contemplated a parking-price increase.

6. Kietzman correctly sensed that he’d created a Ricky Clemons situation — “them (Chiefs) be shaking” — and continued to stir the pot with a brilliant Friday monologue. Calling Larry’s rap a “scandal,” Kietzman said Johnson should be suspended for allegedly freestyle rapping “F--- Carl Peterson,” and the talk-show host also expressed disgust that Johnson rapped about “killing” people. Kietzman insisted that this was an issue that required a prompt response from Peterson and possible action from the commissioner’s office.

Before his Friday show was over, Kietzman had interviewed two members of the SBL Mob and Basement Entertainment who contradicted Larry’s story about an impersonator.

7. After a day’s worth of pressure and fear of the SBL Mob getting exposed — one of the group’s members is currently incarcerated, according to its MySpace page — SBL Mob decided it was best to go with Larry’s impersonator story.

My response?

All I can do is tip my hat to Kietzman. He turned Larry’s relatively harmless act of stupidity into two days of outstanding radio, and he convinced many people in KC that Larry’s crime was allegedly rapping “F--- Carl Peterson,” something Kietzman and every other sane football fan in this city says on a regular basis.

Larry’s crime, if he committed one, is being a millionaire football player from a great family who wants to be a gangsta rapper. Larry’s crime, if he committed one, is being a grown black man and thinking there’s something cool about repeatedly yelling the N-word and rapping about guns in front of a crowd.

Larry’s crime, if he committed one, is sinking to the level of the SBL Mob in order to fit in.

Is it surprising? No. Is it sad? Absolutely.

What should the Chiefs do about it? Pray that Larry runs for 150 yards and two TDs on Sunday.
    Hey I found something in a Whitlock article I like...(last line in bold)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

It's a rarity.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Who cares if LJ "busted" out a rap? If it was him he does have the freedom of speech! Talking about killing people is bad, but he hit the nail on the head with the whole F*** Carl Peterson thing. IMO
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

I couldn't listen to the song....I hate Rap. As far as sh*tlock complaining that Keitzman turned this into two days of bullsh*t radio, I guess fatlock has made it three days of bullsh*t

Oh Yeah.... Carl Petersen
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I Don't Think Its Him. Some Of My Friends Are Recording Engineers & All It Takes Is A Person's Voice Recording From Anywhere And Can Make You Say What Ever They Want.

I Think Lj Breifly Knew These Guys And They ****** With Him Just To Enhance Their Career. How Come No One Is Saying How Stupid They Were To Do This 2 Promote Their Album Coming Out. The Acted As If Lj Was Going 2 Be Featured On Their Album Or Something. Stupid Mother*******.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 09-16-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Inappropraite language in a post

Quote Originally Posted by taurusbadboy2002 View Post
    I Don't Think Its Him. Some Of My Friends Are Recording Engineers & All It Takes Is A Person's Voice Recording From Anywhere And Can Make You Say What Ever They Want.

I Think Lj Breifly Knew These Guys And They ******* With Him Just To Enhance Their Career. How Come No One Is Saying How Stupid They Were To Do This 2 Promote Their Album Coming Out. The Acted As If Lj Was Going 2 Be Featured On Their Album Or Something. Stupid **********s.
    Young man...need to find the censor smilie...
    Last edited by Guru; 09-16-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Young man, you need to learn how to edit quote when you point out foul language.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Mee Ears.. What little hearing I have left. Use##.. If L.J. rushes for 150, all is forgotten.. He can rap about that! (Bear meat wanted Sun)
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.