Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cassel not the best QB at camp?

Default Cassel not the best QB at camp?

Chiefs camp buzz: Haley not talking about Cassel’s play - Kansas City Star

Matt Cassel’s play has slipped since the early portion of training camp, and Tuesday’s practice wasn’t his best. He missed some throws, including one when he had Quinten Lawrence open deep. The ball was slightly underthrown and intercepted by Brandon Flowers.

Cassel’s struggles began during an intrasquad scrimmage two weeks ago when he committed three turnovers. He has had a problem with turnovers since and lost a fumble during last week’s preseason opener against Houston.

Asked whether Cassel has been the best quarterback in camp, coach Todd Haley deferred.

“I think I’ll hold out on answering that right now,” he said.
    Kind of sickening in a way. I didn't expect to see any question that Cassel was the best QB on the team after giving him the monster contract. Hopefully things get better in the next few weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Croyle starts the next game in a couple days against the Vikes. That doesn't mean I think he'll be the starter at the regular season or that Cassel won't see significant playing time against the Vikes. I just wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. It'd give both Cassel and Croyle extra incentive to play and train harder and would be a play right out of the Todd Haley coaching book.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Croyle starts the next game in a couple days against the Vikes. That doesn't mean I think he'll be the starter at the regular season or that Cassel won't see significant playing time against the Vikes. I just wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. It'd give both Cassel and Croyle extra incentive to play and train harder and would be a play right out of the Todd Haley coaching book.
    ...kinda what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    Bowe was knocked down to third string for dropping some ball so why can't Cassel get dropped down to the #2 spot for his performance on saturday? :owws:

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Bowe was knocked down to third string for dropping some ball so why can't Cassel get dropped down to the #2 spot for his performance on saturday? :owws:
    Cassels balls were thrown perfectly. We just have some awful WR.

Jesus, why is everyone putting so much pressure on Cassel in camp? Do you think Brady, Manning, Brees, or some other high end QB looks like the best in camp?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post

Jesus, why is everyone putting so much pressure on Cassel in camp? Do you think Brady, Manning, Brees, or some other high end QB looks like the best in camp?
    No, but don't you think they sure as hell look better than the 3rd stringers?

Why are they putting so much pressure on him in camp? I can give you 63 million reasons... Big contracts don't come without expectations, and Haley doesn't strike me as the type who is going to give any player a free pass because of their paycheck. That's Herm Edwards style.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-19-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    No, but don't you think they sure as hell look better than the 3rd stringers?

Why are they putting so much pressure on him in camp? I can give you 63 million reasons... Big contracts don't come without expectations, and Haley doesn't strike me as the type who is going to give any player a free pass because of their paycheck. That's Herm Edwards style.
    Yes, the WR's are TERRIBLE. During that game, he threw 5 passes. 2 which were complete, 3 in complete and out of the 3, 2 of them were dropped.

Your expecting what you saw in NE. That ain't going to happen. No Moss, no Welker, no Gaffney, no Backs to throw to.

Everyone has to realize that cassel is going to have to adjust to the new team mates, coaches, and coaching styles. Just back off and give him time.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Yes, the WR's are TERRIBLE. During that game, he threw 5 passes. 2 which were complete, 3 in complete and out of the 3, 2 of them were dropped.

Your expecting what you saw in NE. That ain't going to happen. No Moss, no Welker, no Gaffney, no Backs to throw to.

Everyone has to realize that cassel is going to have to adjust to the new team mates, coaches, and coaching styles. Just back off and give him time.
    I have no problem with how he played last Saturday. I actually though he looked pretty good. But I still don't like hearing about Brodie Croyle outplaying him in camp.

They had just as much pressure on them before the proved they could handle the position. Probably even more in some cases. Cassel hasn't proven anything yet. Until he does, he should be questioned as the #1 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    They had just as much pressure on them before the proved they could handle the position. Probably even more in some cases. Cassel hasn't proven anything yet. Until he does, he should be questioned as the #1 guy.
    You got that, but Cassel has proven more than anyone before training camp started.

I believe in Cassel though. In fact, I was against bringing in Cassel to begin with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast