Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs training camp this morning, not so good. :(

Default Chiefs training camp this morning, not so good. :(

Well, the bad news is on offense. Cassel had a bit of an over throwing issue today. Bowe dropped one ball for sure, maybe two...couldn't see the jersey number well on the second drop. Jerheme Urban let a couple passes slip right through his hands, big sighs from many in the area I was in when he missed those.

The good news is, other than 1-2 dropped balls, Bowe made some great catches, with speed. McCluster, well...he's just AWESOME, and once again seemed to steal the show being a favorite among fans attending this morning's camp.

There were two places suggested by camp guides to obtain player auto's after camp, I was at the wrong one, haha. OPlookn was at the right one, but it's his story, not mine to tell, haha.

The VIP tent was 'okay'. I'm grateful for the opportunity, but it wasn't as VIP as what most might think. Basically, the benefits of VIP were being shaded by a tent, being served glazed donuts, water, or Gatorade. The premium parking pass included with VIP passes was nice with being much closer to camp.

The VIP tent was further from the action on the field than general fan areas, so OPlookn and I both left VIP, went to other areas to be in better & closer view of on field practice, specifically for picture taking. I took a few pics, which I'll post in the picture forum soon. OPlookn has an awesome camera, so hopefully he'll post pic's as well, and I think he'll likely have some awesome ones.

I enjoyed getting out of the house, attending camp, and meeting OPlookn...chatting Chiefs, other common subjects, during the drive to St Joe and back to Atchison's Walmart...which was my pick up & drop off point for OPlookn. I speculate he's about my son's age maybe?...and we got along great. I'm very thankful to him for picking me up in Atchison, driving me back, for the company & fun chit chat. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Glad you got to go and enjoyed it sure wish I could have gone with you. I will not get to go to any games this year but next year I hope they are in town Oct 9th becasue I plan on coming to town for my homecoming and I will be able to catch a game them of course I could come a week early or stay a week later after I will be a man of leisure next May yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Glad you got to go and enjoyed it sure wish I could have gone with you. I will not get to go to any games this year but next year I hope they are in town Oct 9th becasue I plan on coming to town for my homecoming and I will be able to catch a game them of course I could come a week early or stay a week later after I will be a man of leisure next May yeah!
    I'll sure be rooting for them to play at home the weekend of 10-9-11, on your behalf.

I've thought from time to time about moving to other areas of the US, specifically related to employment opportunities, such as Georgia. It seems silly, but the second thought to enter my mind when considering move to locations...is it being too far from Arrowhead. The first is being too far from my kids & grandkids.

I know many people are in that situation, but I've never been far from this area as an adult, and just don't know if I could handle being far away from my kids & grandkids...Arrowhead I'd survive, barely, haha.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

The drops are a little bit scary to hear. I am not as scared about the overthrows since that was not something that killed the Chiefs last season like the drops did. I can only hope that they are getting all the drops out during camp so they won't be around all season.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The drops are a little bit scary to hear. I am not as scared about the overthrows since that was not something that killed the Chiefs last season like the drops did. I can only hope that they are getting all the drops out during camp so they won't be around all season.
    Yeah, the drops had my heart feeling as if it had dropped to the pit of my stomach, scary too. Seriously, they were very uncomfortable to witness. The first camp I attended Sunday before last, there were none I saw, which raised my hopes the issue of dropped balls had improved greatly.

In Haleys press conference this morning after camp, he said some on the team were still feeling legarthic from the high heat index, and he thought that was a contributing factor to some issues today, & previous camps. He said he wasn't accustom to this regions high humidity with camp scheduling, but now realizes the afternoon camps aren't wise.

From this point forward afternoon camps have been moved to early evening hours, and that's a permanent decision for the remainder of this years camp & future years from what I gathered. He said it was a lot of trouble for everyone involved to alter their schedules with deciding to change camp hours in the middle of camp. I think they're assuming high temps & humidity will be an issue every year during afternoon hours...which during August they likely will be, haha.

That's one of the reasons I thought the Chiefs decided to move camp from KC years ago to River Falls...lower temp & humidity factors, healthier environment for the team & coaches.

the article in kcstar described the offense performance as "horrible", never a good thing even at a practice.

I finally have got a chance to take a breather and add my two cents to this thread. Attending training camp was awesome! Thanks again to Connie for letting me tag along!

The receivers were a bit of a concern and they dropped a few balls. After practice Haley either made the receivers stay or as a unit they decided to stay and work on catching drills. Since I was a receiver when I played football I have to admit some bias to watching them practice the most. With that said Bowe was catching things in step and looked pretty good. The one or two he dropped looked like it was because they were going half speed and when you're doing something half donk'd your concentration isn't as high. So I overlooked that.

During the drills where they were going 75% Leroy Banks(TE) had a huge drop where it hit him square in the hands and went flying away since he let it get to close and it bounced off his pads. Everyone groaned loudly and you could tell no one was happy including him. I was very impressed with the work ethic of rookie Rich Gunnell(WR). They had just had a 2 hr practice, the receivers stayed to run more drills and after all that he stayed to catch even more balls thrown by the machine. This is all in weather that was high 80's/ low 90's with a heat index of probably close to a 100 degrees. So that definitely caught my eye.

The secondary looked pretty awesome, not going to lie. Berry took a few drills but it almost looked like they were saving him and putting others thru their paces. When they put the 1st string receivers up against the 1st string secondary it wasn't really even close to who was the better unit. When the receivers did make the catch the defense was right there.

QB's...well, it left something to be desired. Cassell was over throwing everything...and he wasn't alone. On back of the end zone fades they had set up a trash can turned upside down with another one glued to it to make it about 6 feet tall. No one came close to putting a ball in the trash can which was very depressing. Then during the 75% drills Cassell over threw a TE coming back across the line of scrimmage and let out an F bomb that everyone there could hear and then some. Brodie...dang does he have an arm but we all know he's made some bad decisions to even it all out. The 3rd string QB...well there's a reason he's a 3rd stringer and thats all I've got to say about that.

Since I don't want to end this on a bad note I'll talk about McCluster. Connie is right, he's been the highlight of the camp. Although I'll give someone a million bucks if he's 5'8, that or I've gotten taller in the past few months... I'm 5'9 and I was looking down to see the top of his helmet so he's 5'6 or 5'7 at best! He's really really quick but it's not his speed that is what got me excited it's how insanely fast he gets up to top speed that had me excited. One second he's making a cut and then boom he's 10 yards down the field in a blink of the eye!

With that said has anyone heard anything about Crennel? Weis was easy to spot but I couldn't find Crennel anywhere and someone else said they were there last week and didn't seem either. Just curious. I do indeed have lots of pics and when I get a chance tonight I'll upload them. I think they'll be pretty good!
    Last edited by OPLookn; 08-10-2010 at 04:17 PM.

I did have one other thing that was more of a question than anything else. Has anyone heard anything about Moeaki being hurt? I had walked around both fields and was standing next to a guy riding a bike. Low and behold it was Moeaki and he was less than 5 feet from me. It was one of the bikes that you can pedal with your feet or push back and forth with your arms. He was only using his arms and didn't have any pads on. So I'm curious if he's injured and being held out? Any one have any info?

One final comment and then I'm done ha! Forgot to talk about the players signing stuff. I had a Bowe jersey that I got from last year and then was one of the many that went out and bought a Berry jersey as soon as they came out.

I took both in hopes of getting them signed and I couldn't believe my luck when I got both Berry and Bowe to autograph their respective jerseys!

Berry was being called by everyone in the crowd to come over and sign stuff and he spent a good 10 to 15 minutes signing things in one area. The receivers had been working the entire time he was signing things. Bowe then came over to the same side and I got his autograph on his jersey and Berry was STILL signing stuff.

At that point I went looking for Connie to head on out after she got any autographs she was looking for and found out that Berry had continued around the side and spent another 10 to 15 minutes signing even more stuff in another area. So I was very impressed with how accommodating Berry was. It might not seem like much but two practices 30 minutes a piece.... I don't know to many people that would make that much time to sign your name or for that matter could sign their name for that long. At one point a dad shoved his kid into Berry's hands and Berry put on a big smile as Dad took a photo that I'm sure will be framed for life.

Charles spent some time in another area signing things and the only other person I saw signing things was Tim Castille. I have to admit it was funny watching the kids along the fences screaming out players names as they walked by working them for autographs. Most people everyone knew...you'd hear Brian!! Brian Waters!!, Bowe! D. Bowe!!! and several other names and then kids being kids and just wanting to talk to football players and wanting autographs yelling...EIGHT!!! Number EIGHT!! who I had to look as well was rookie Jeremy Horne (WR).

Again it was an awesome time and I'd say if anyone wants to go head on up there and take a few things you want signed.
    Last edited by OPLookn; 08-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I did have one other thing that was more of a question than anything else. Has anyone heard anything about Moeaki being hurt? I had walked around both fields and was standing next to a guy riding a bike. Low and behold it was Moeaki and he was less than 5 feet from me. It was one of the bikes that you can pedal with your feet or push back and forth with your arms. He was only using his arms and didn't have any pads on. So I'm curious if he's injured and being held out? Any one have any info?
    Oh the airdyne. Yeah apparently Moeaki suffered some kind of injury. He's not practicing today either. I don't think any real info has been released.

Hey thanks for the info on the training camp!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast