Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Loss for the Chiefs?

Default Biggest Loss for the Chiefs?

What's the biggest, most painful loss that the Cheifs endured?

-Scout

Feel the rush...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    The 95-96 Playoff loss to the Colts was one of the ugliest games ever. Lin Elliott had 3 chances, KC was intercepted 3 times, even Marcus Allen fumbled inside the 10! Colts won 10-7. I've heard so many stories of after that game- from the perfect circle of a beer bottle (it was so cold out, the window didn't shatter) thrown through a guy's own car window, to kicking a hot coffee on other fans at the stadium in a fit of rage- it was such a horribly frustrating and bitter loss.
    As for players, I thought the injury to Sylvester Morris, who at 6' 3" was the last "prototype" receiver, was a big one, which short circuited the potential for an even more explosive offensive balance. He averaged over 14yds a catch in his 1st season and was set to truly break out when his career was ended by Knee injuries.
    This. No question we could have possibly been SB champs that year. I was 10, and still remember being sock to my stomach after that loss.

1993 AFC Championship loss against Buffalo???

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    The Dolphins perfect season was actually a year later ('72-'73) They lost to Dallas in SB VI after the Christmas day game with us. They won back to back SB in '72-'73 and '73-'74 seasons(VII and VIII)
    You're right...I'm just getting old, lol. Nah, my memory get's confused when reflecting without deeper thought, due to the Super Bowl not being the same year as the season, overlapping years. Such as the longest game would be 71-72...72-73 being Dolphins perfect season.

I know that many of the legendary Chiefs players...such as Otis Taylor, also consider the loss to Miami the most heartbreaking...with realizing later, that was their closest to making a second Super Bowl prior to retiring.

Still, for a fan like me, not losing such a priceless opportunity to play in a second Super Bowl...I see the longest game from both sides. Negatively a heartbreaking loss missing an opportunity to return to a SB...Positively as making NFL history, giving it all they had, playing with heart. It was a great historic game in many aspects, as to where other lost games weren't great games in any aspect...95 & 97 playoff games. :(
    I hate the Dirty Donks!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    You're right...I'm just getting old, lol. Nah, my memory get's confused when reflecting without deeper thought, due to the Super Bowl not being the same year as the season, overlapping years. Such as the longest game would be 71-72...72-73 being Dolphins perfect season.

I know that many of the legendary Chiefs players...such as Otis Taylor, also consider the loss to Miami the most heartbreaking...with realizing later, that was their closest to making a second Super Bowl prior to retiring.

Still, for a fan like me, not losing such a priceless opportunity to play in a second Super Bowl...I see the longest game from both sides. Negatively a heartbreaking loss missing an opportunity to return to a SB...Positively as making NFL history, giving it all they had, playing with heart. It was a great historic game in many aspects, as to where other lost games weren't great games in any aspect...95 & 97 playoff games. :(
    I hate the Dirty Donks!
    me too!
    The Chiefs(Texans at the time-AFL) have been involved in the two longest games. Both were playoff games

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    1993 AFC Championship loss against Buffalo???
    Wow...sadly, I don't remember much about that loss, guess 95 & 97 have overwhelmed my memory. That was the first year with Montana, wasn't it?

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Wow...sadly, I don't remember much about that loss, guess 95 & 97 have overwhelmed my memory. That was the first year with Montana, wasn't it?
    It was indeed. Montana was knocked out of that game early in the third quarter with a concussion. Dave Krieg took over and made a valiant effort but in the end it simply wasn't enough.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 08-11-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    me too!
    The Chiefs(Texans at the time-AFL) have been involved in the two longest games. Both were playoff games
    I didn't know that, learned something new! haha I have little knowledge of the Texans era. I've read some of the Texans history when reading Lamars history, but what I read didn't stay in memory. I was focused on history related to Lamar, moreso than the Texans history.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    It was indeed. Montana was knocked out of that game early in the third quarter with a concussion. Dave Craig took over and made a valiant effort but in the end it simply wasn't enough.
    Okay, I do somewhat remember Montana being injured. Seemed Montana struggled that entire game, prior to concussion, but I could be wrong in my memory, since it's vague.

Okay, I do somewhat remember Montana being injured. Seemed Montana struggled that entire game, prior to concussion, but I could be wrong in my memory, since it's vague.
    ...Not sure about all that Connie; you could be right. However, I do remember, very well, the play that knocked him out of the game; vicious hit if I recall correctly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrio6WEgW0o"]YouTube- ‪Joe Montana Chiefs vs Bills 93 AFC Championship game - Joe Montana suffers a concussion‬‎[/ame]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast