Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Loss for the Chiefs?

Default Biggest Loss for the Chiefs?

What's the biggest, most painful loss that the Cheifs endured?

-Scout

Feel the rush...

can we have jasper change his name?? i was the first jasper here,,,lol

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    If you are talking games to me it would have to be the '69 loss the fins in the playoffs the longest game and the last game in muni staduim.
    actualy it was Christmas day 1971, double overtime, when the FG split the uprights I slammed my fist down on my knee so hard it shattered the crystal on my watch and I limped for 2 days!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    actually it was Christmas day 1971, double overtime, when the FG split the uprights I slammed my fist down on my knee so hard it shattered the crystal on my watch and I limped for 2 days!!!!
    I thought it was '69 thinking about it you are right '69 was the year we won the SB. I was in the Army those years so some of the history in that time frame is fuzzy I just know I got to watch that game and was really upset when it ended. Ed Podolack would have a career game accounting for 350 All-Purpose Yards in that game I think I felt more sorry for him than anyone else.

and when was the last time Stenerud missed 2FGs in a game, one in regulation, one in OT....that game was gut wrenching!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KCINNYC View Post
    I think this thread was meant for games not players?

Obviously, if its a player, well then, if you think that losing Donnie Edwards or Jared Allen was worse than the life of Derrick Thomas, then you are sick. I think it goes without saying that he is the greatest loss ever to the Chiefs player or coach wise. So lets re direct the thread...

I think it also goes without saying that Lin Elliot is still the biggest doucher that ever walked the earth after his "laces out" performance that ended our season. He didn't just miss the field goals. He missed the extra points. I still get sick when I say the name out loud.

Poor guy. Part of me feels bad for him. But part of me still wants his leg cut off, deep fried and served as a Thanksgiving dinner to his mother.
    Yeah, it was intended game wise but you can throw players in, too. :) Wow, quite the analogy!! lol

-Scout
    Feel the rush...

I haven't been a hardcore Chiefs fan for very long to be honest. That Packers game in 2007 was super heart breaking for me. Tony Gonzalez and LJ made a couple huge plays and LJ waved the Chiefs flag around and then planted it in the ground after a TD. That got me pumped. I thought for sure we would win. But then LJ got hurt and things fell apart after that but at least Priest went in. Then the Great Brett Favre threw magical passes and we somehow lost. Ooo and Webb almost had a huge reception...one foot was barely out of bounds....argh so heartbreaking. I thought we had a shot at the playoffs that year too. We lost every game from that point to the end of the season. We were 4-3. That was the game that derailed the Chiefs for the past 3 years. I certainly don't think it's the biggest loss for the Chiefs ever but it's a game that destroyed the Chiefs for years.

2007 was when I really got excited for Chiefs and Royals games.
    For some reason I became a hardcore fan for both these teams that year. Before then I was a casual fan not caring too much for wins and losses. If I was a hardcore fan before then I would say those two playoff games in 03-04 and 06-07 seasons. Lost to the Colts both times. And we went 13-3 in the 03-04 season...

The biggest player loss is definitely Derrick Thomas. That was SOOO sad...if only the Chiefs made it to the playoffs that year that wouldn't have happened...DANG IT...holy crap I just remembered I went to Derrick Thomas' last game. That loss to the Raiders (not caring too much at the time and not realizing the importance of that game) was pretty heartbreaking now that I think of it. Now it is super heartbreaking the more I think of it...cost us the playoffs and a life...oh and that was against the Raiders too...even worse
    That may be the biggest loss ever. Lost a game to get the playoffs against our most hated rival...and the greatest Chiefs player ever...greatest Linebacker ever.
    Last edited by kilobytes; 08-16-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    It starts with the Offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    I haven't been a hardcore Chiefs fan for very long to be honest. That Packers game in 2007 was super heart breaking for me. Tony Gonzalez and LJ made a couple huge plays and LJ waved the Chiefs flag around and then planted it in the ground after a TD. That got me pumped. I thought for sure we would win. But then LJ got hurt and things fell apart after that but at least Priest went in. Then the Great Brett Favre threw magical passes and we somehow lost. Ooo and Webb almost had a huge reception...one foot was barely out of bounds....argh so heartbreaking. I thought we had a shot at the playoffs that year too. We lost every game from that point to the end of the season. We were 4-3. That was the game that derailed the Chiefs for the past 3 years. I certainly don't think it's the biggest loss for the Chiefs ever but it's a game that destroyed the Chiefs for years.

2007 was when I really got excited for Chiefs and Royals games.
    For some reason I became a hardcore fan for both these teams that year. Before then I was a casual fan not caring too much for wins and losses. If I was a hardcore fan before then I would say those two playoff games in 03-04 and 06-07 seasons. Lost to the Colts both times. And we went 13-3 in the 03-04 season...

The biggest player loss is definitely Derrick Thomas. That was SOOO sad...if only the Chiefs made it to the playoffs that year that wouldn't have happened...DANG IT...holy crap I just remembered I went to Derrick Thomas' last game. That loss to the Raiders (not caring too much at the time and not realizing the importance of that game) was pretty heartbreaking now that I think of it. Now it is super heartbreaking the more I think of it...cost us the playoffs and a life...oh and that was against the Raiders too...even worse
    That may be the biggest loss ever. Lost a game to get the playoffs against our most hated rival...and the greatest Chiefs player ever...greatest Linebacker ever.
    The 2007 game against the Packers is a very sentimental priceless game for me. It was November 4th, 2007. I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to share my memories related to that game.

My little brother Ricky was diagnosed in Spring of 2007 with End Stage Renal Failure aka Kidney Disease. He spent his adult life living in Phoenix, divorced, no kids, needed a caretaker. He'd lost his job months prior due to his illness, so I offered to bring him home to KS, be his caretaker, drive him to dialysis 3 times weekly, since he couldn't drive any longer due to meds.

Ricky was raised a Chiefs fan too, like me...our dad having become a fan in 1963 with the Chiefs moving to KC from Dallas. His favorite player was Derrick Thomas (RIP), same as mine. We shared the same favorite NFL QB too...Brett Favre. Ricky had never been able to attend a live game at Arrowhead, and had told me it was one of the things he most wanted to do upon his return to Kansas. His birthday is Nov. 11th, Veterans Day, of which he was so proud, haha. For his birthday I bought us tickets to the Chiefs/Packers game on Nov. 4th, 2007. We were 7 rows from the field in the endzone! The Chiefs sadly lost, but there was good in bad...my brother & I were able to witness Brett Favre play in person...a first for us both as Favre fans.

The following February, 2008...as always I hosted a Super Bowl Party...it was the first Super Bowl Party my brother Ricky had ever attended too! We had so much fun that day...Ricky looked the best he had looked since coming home to Kansas...cherished are the memories. A couple days after Super Bowl my brother was admitted to ICU, I stayed at the hospital with him for the next 36 hours. He was in much pain due to toxic poisoning from his kidneys not removing toxins from his blood. He was in & out of consciousness, the morphine making him sleep a lot. Just before 5 AM on February 8th...I was awaken from my hospital waiting room chair to the sound of "CODE BLUE" coming over the intercom...I knew it was Ricky, it was his 3rd Code Blue in 24 hrs..

I stood in the corridor watching the Dr's & Nurses enter his ICU room, one of them saw me, came & told me it was okay for me to come to his room as well. I wasn't sure I wanted to go, but somehow found the inner strength. I watched in silence as they gave their all to save him for over 20 minutes...I knew he was gone, I felt it. I began walking down the hall, numb...a nurse approached and asked me to come into a 'special room', saying they needed to talk to me in private.

I was Ricky's POA, as I was who he was always closest to in life & trusted...we're not that emotionally trusting of our mom, who's still living. They needed my permission to "let him go". They did revive him, but he was only alive by machine support...no brain activity. He had told me if it ever happened...not to let him live by machines, made me promise I'd let him go. It was very difficult...but I kept my promise. My brother Ricky passed away on February 8th, 2008...the very same day Derrick Thomas had 8 years earlier. He was only 49. :(

So...the Chiefs/Packers game would be my brother Ricky's one & only game attended at Arrowhead, the only game I attended with him. I'm so very grateful, and blessed to have had the opportunity...as well, the opportunity to care for him his last 5 months of life.

When I road tripped to Canton a year ago, August 2009...to attend Derrick Thomas' NFL HOF induction ceremony...I took my brother Ricky's #58 DT jersey with me. It was his favorite Chiefs item. I wore it in Ricky's honor to the ceremony...taking him in spirit with me to witness our favorite Chief be inducted into the NFL HOF. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

That's coincidental in every way. That game being your brothers only game he went to and that he died on the same day as DT. Very coincidental and sad.
    It starts with the Offensive line

It has probably been mentiond already but....

For me, it was the divisional playoff game against Indianapolis in 2004.

That offense was so potent that we were able to stand up against any team ever.

But the defense just fell apart late that season, and kept it up right into that game.

Major heartbreak that year.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    That's coincidental in every way. That game being your brothers only game he went to and that he died on the same day as DT. Very coincidental and sad.
    Yeah, very coincidental indeed. Also coincidental are the deaths of our maternal grandma & Ricky. My brother Ricky & I were close to our grandma, she raised me from age 1 until I was 6, Ricky from right after birth until he was 3. Grandma lived in Oregon then, where her hubby was from. Mom stayed in Kansas, was young, didn't want to be a mom, wanted to run...no birth control back then, dad was in the army/Marines during our early childhood years. We were sent to live with grandma in Oregon. After he was out of the Military he wanted his family together, mom & us kids...so we left grandmas, went to live with them.

Anyway...my grandma passed away when I was 11...at the same age as Ricky, 49. She had a brain hemorrage, but it was brought about due to kidney failure and some diuretic meds they had her on. She also died in Feburary but not the same day.

Another odd coincidence, is that my grandma's marriage after many years ended in divorce, the reasons almost identical to the same reasons leading to my marriage ending.

Very eery coincidences indeed.

Edit PS: I dread the month of February! It was Feb. 2007 my x hubby had his heart attack scare, became clinically depressed, personality changed to someone we didn't know, became abusive. A couple days prior to Super Bowl Feb. 08, my x suffered alcohol poisoning, I was up all night caring for him...the night before my brother was admitted to ICU, my dog Lily suffered her first seizure disorder. Between caring for my x, Lily, my brother in ICU, his loss...I think I slept maybe 5 hours that entire week. I just pray to God I never again have another week in my life like that one was. February 2009 was when my x began reaching a peak, by March had a complete mental breakdown becoming criminally cruel...finally realized for my own sake I had to ask him to move out, filed for divorce soon thereafter. Yep, I hate February!!
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 08-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast