Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importance of preseason wins this year?

Default Importance of preseason wins this year?

How important would you say is our need this year to begin a string of wins Friday?

The new coaching staff in place, the additions of our draft class, and a bunch of guys who basically got the butts kicked last year. I usually could care less about these games outcome other than the evaluation aspect they are meant for. This year with all the changes, the buzz from the kc fan base and where we have been last year I think they need to go for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    How important would you say is our need this year to begin a string of wins Friday?

The new coaching staff in place, the additions of our draft class, and a bunch of guys who basically got the butts kicked last year. I usually could care less about these games outcome other than the evaluation aspect they are meant for. This year with all the changes, the buzz from the kc fan base and where we have been last year I think they need to go for the win.
    I think they're pretty important. It will build confidence in the players, and the fans that this team can win. It will show that the new coaches in place are working. Also.. Regardless of if it's regular season or pre-season, Wins = $$$ so I'm sure it's very important for them to win in the pre-season form a business standpoint. I'm pretty sure every coach wants their team to win in the pre-season. It's also a good evaluation tool for coaches.

Resident Celebrity

I have always evaluated the preseason by the way the 1st teams play not nessesaraly the wins and losses although the wins are a huge ego boost.

assign NO importance whatsoever!!!!!!
    it may the guys, and fans, feel better but the most important thing is for the players to play well together and no serious injuries. remember the year the pats were winless in pre season they went to the super bowl and the jets were undefeated in pre-season and struggled to win 7 games

I understand the reasoning behind placing the importance on winning the preseason games, but think it is more important not to delve too deep into the play book in preseason, or risk the health of key starters just so that we can put meaningless victories in the win column. JMHO

If we can win in the preseason with our base offense and defense then it would be an added plus, but preseason is about finding the right 53 players; nothing more.

While I think pre season games are important for the entire organization's confidence, I think teams use them more as a tool to evaluate depth at all positions. Teams know who the starters are for the most part unless there is an unproven (new) player to a certain position. Special teamers and possibly some defensive guys get more looks than the skill positions because most of them (except rookies) are league veterans and know the drill.

As long as they do not go 0-4 it should be all good. this is an evaluation period but we need to build a winning culture.

Last year we went 0-4, and then 4-12 in the regular season. So I can't say I wouldn't mind winning some preseason games, but I don't necessarily think it's all that relevant.

I don't think they are important either, but on the flip side I want destroy every team we face by at least 50 points.
    Resident Ambassador!

Quote Originally Posted by KCINNYC View Post
    I don't think they are important either, but on the flip side I want destroy every team we face by at least 50 points.
    All we gotta do is get the teams we face to cooperate now.

For me a win is a win; whether by one or one-hundred points.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast