Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business opinions, what do you think?

Default Business opinions, what do you think?

Below are two images of blouses commonly called a 'peasant blouse'...of which are fashion timeless...never go out of style, popular with women. Most of y'all are guys, but I want opinions overall.

I've been sewing these blouses for personal use since I was in my 20's. They're somewhat my fashion trademark among family & local friends, since I wear them often. I love them because they're very comfortable, sleeves can be pushed up or worn down, can be worn on or off the shoulders. They can be dressed up or down, worn with skirts, jumpers, slacks, jeans, capri's, whatever. Depends upon fabric as to how dressey or casual they are.

Anyway...peasant blouses are popular, but not easily found in the retail clothing stores. It never fails, whenever I wear one of mine I have several women ask me where I bought it, of course I tell them I made it myself.

The photo's don't do the blouse justice on a hanger, but I can't take a photo of myself with my camera, have no one here to take a pic of me wearing one of the blouses to show what it looks like on. I recently made the Chiefs one with yellow/gold fringe trim, haven't worn it yet. Below the Chiefs peasant blouse pics though, are a couple pics I found of me wearing others I've made, I most always push the sleeves up though.

Here's my idea...to offer my peasant blouses for sale on Ebay...in choice of NFL team fabrics, but also offer them in most all professional and NCAA sports teams...such as NBA, MLB, NHL, even Nascar. Fabrics are available in all teams. One issue is pricing the blouses, however. Licensed fabrics run about $5 per yard, it takes an average of 4 yds to make one blouse due to patterns being directional. Add a couple bucks for thread & elastic...cost is approximately $22 to make one, not including fancy trim like the yellow fringe on the one Chiefs blouse.

Licensing royalties are paid by the manufacturer's of the fabrics, so that's not a cost or legal concern. I'm not an oversea's factory or sweat shop seamstress...quality over quantity, but since I've been sewing these for years it does reduce the time it takes me to make one, by comparison to someone unfamiliar with the steps involved. It takes me about 3 hours to cut, sew, finish one blouse, if adding trim a bit longer. I need to come up with a labor amount, which would be my profit on top of the $22+ cost, add to the cost if embellishing with a fancy trim.

I thought about calling my little Ebay venture..."Prairie Meadow Peasants". Okay...so opinions please?...including do you think this product would be feasible to market on Ebay? I know there are a ton of female sports entusiasts/fans today by comparison of generations ago, that's a plus factor, but, what price would they be willing to pay?

Okay, this pic sorta shows what one looks like being worn...this one in a bandana fabric I'm wearing:

Here's another in a gingham:

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

I really like the name. I would shoot for trying to make $20+ on each one. Charge just a little bit more if the fabric or other materials become harder to find. I guess that's almost making 100%. If you can get between the $15 - $20 range that would be good, but if you think you can get more charge more. Kinda hard for me to guess cause I don't buy womens's clothing.

Resident Celebrity

I know, haha. I didn't want to put the idea in depth out on Facebook yet, where more women could give opinions...until I can have a copyright intent at least dated by a notary, to prove date of idea, name, etc..

That said, I did ask a couple months ago if some of my female friends would buy one if they were available, many said yes...but I didn't give specifics, including my 'sports theme' idea. Many women on the cruise approached asking where I bought my peasant shirt...think I wore a different one 3 different times, with each I was complimented & asked about them.

I was thinking about $5 per hour also Clint, or $20.00. It seems like cheap labor, but gotta start somewhere doing something to generate income while waiting for my house to sell.
    Also, generate income with something I can do from home, minimizing costs not having to drive back & forth so many miles to a job location. I'm 25 miles to the nearest small town, further to a city. Minimum wage, no benefits, being single with no dependents in a high tax bracket...makes driving 50-100 miles daily round trip...not feasible with fuel costs, wear & tear on a vehicle, time on the road, etc..

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Do you make them in XXL?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I know, haha. I didn't want to put the idea in depth out on Facebook yet, where more women could give opinions...until I can have a copyright intent at least dated by a notary, to prove date of idea, name, etc..

That said, I did ask a couple months ago if some of my female friends would buy one if they were available, many said yes...but I didn't give specifics, including my 'sports theme' idea. Many women on the cruise approached asking where I bought my peasant shirt...think I wore a different one 3 different times, with each I was complimented & asked about them.

I was thinking about $5 per hour also Clint, or $20.00. It seems like cheap labor, but gotta start somewhere doing something to generate income while waiting for my house to sell.
    Also, generate income with something I can do from home, minimizing costs not having to drive back & forth so many miles to a job location. I'm 25 miles to the nearest small town, further to a city. Minimum wage, no benefits, being single with no dependents in a high tax bracket...makes driving 50-100 miles daily round trip...not feasible with fuel costs, wear & tear on a vehicle, time on the road, etc..
    That's a good idea. It sounds like a lot of people want them, so you have a demand so it sounds like you can charge that and still make some really good money.

Resident Celebrity

I was also thinking about wearing the recent Chiefs one I made to the MNF game, to see if it drew any attention from female fans at the game. I might make some business cards up on my PC before MNF, have a few handy in case some do ask where I bought it...I can give them my card to contact me to make one for them. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Do you make them in XXL?
    I can make them in any size, from little girl toddler to XXXXXXXL, haha. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    I can make them in any size, from little girl toddler to XXXXXXXL, haha. :)
    I think Dan would look great in one!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Also, most of the women I know, such as those who are Kid Rock fans...are bigger Nascar and NHL fans than NFL. Many I know are big Redwing fans, with living in or around Detriot. I want to make one in a Redwing fabric to promote also.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I think Dan would look great in one!!
    Somehow, I knew you were gonna say one of your buddies, or brother, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast