Thread: Bout damn time.

Threaded View

Default Bout damn time.

Wow! It was great to see the Chiefs put together a great team effort. I think everyone was holding their breath on that last play waiting for something else to go wrong. But it didn't, and now the Chiefs have something to build on. It was great to see the offense that I remember from last year. Converting on 3rd downs, running the ball, making catches. But let's talk about the defense for a moment. I along with every other Chiefs fan have complained about the defense for over a year now. This week they responded. Take a look at these stats from http://www.WarpaintIllustrated.com:

Team Defense: KC's defense allowed just 10 completions, the club's fewest since giving up just one vs. San Diego (9/20/98). KC allowed just 13 first downs, the fewest since allowing 13 vs. San Diego (9/7/03). KC's 207 yards allowed were the fewest permitted since giving up 199 vs. Cleveland (11/9/03). Baltimore converted just 12.5% (1 of 8) of its third-down opportunities, the best mark by KC's defense on third down since limiting the Dolphins to 12.5% (1 of 8) vs. Miami (9/29/02). KC has forced 15 punts in its past three games.
    Now that is responding to criticism. The chips were stacked against this defense as they faced last years leading rusher. But they made big play, after big play. They responded. It made me proud to be a Chiefs fan once again. Let's face it, the difference in this game was the ability to stop the opponent on 3rd down. The Ravens were 1 for 8 on 3rd down. The Chiefs finally had a good pass rush.

So where to go from here? This could be the building block for something great. Or this could be a fluke from the statistically worst defense in the NFL. I hope we are talking about the earlier. The Chiefs have a bye week to figure out their one dimensional passing game. By "one dimensional", I mean trying to pass to Tony Gonzalez on every pass play. Every team is double teaming Tony and it is obvious. The Chiefs' next three oponents have a combined 10-2 record. This is the Chiefs chance to make a statement to the NFL. Or it may prove time to fold up the tent and go home. Time will tell. Let's assume that the Chiefs will need somewhere around 10 wins to make the playoffs this year. At 1-3, this means they would need to go 9-3 the rest of the way. Clearly, the next 3 weeks will tell the tale and I believe they can do it!

LET'S GO CHIEFS!
    Last edited by Coach; 03-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.