Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is in charge of the DRAFT?

Default Who is in charge of the DRAFT?

Since we lost Carl Petterson we have had some of the worst drafts I have ever seen in my 10 years of being a Chiefs fan.

2009 NFL Draft we passed on:
    1. Brian Orakpo
    2. Aaron Curry
    3. Brian Cushing
    All of these players where available in the later first round. If we would have traded down we could have picked up a second. This is the year we had no second.

2010 NFL Draft we passed on:
    1.Russell Okung
    2. Rolando McClain
    3. Sean Weatherspoon
    We could have traded down on the the last 2 and picked up a 3rd 2nd rounder and would have had a butt load of players to choose from.

Instead we select Eric Berry the highest drafted safety in the history of the NFL and then payed him more then any other S ever in the history of the NFL. Are we trying to break the all-time stupidest transaction records or what. Honestly Chiefs fans what can we say for ourselves we drafted a safety when we had two good safeties, A CB named arenas who was only picked up because of his return ability we couldn't get that in the 4th round? We picked up a RB who is now a slot receiver and flanker???
    Whats your thought on all this?

It's far to early to talk about either draft. I was not 100% behind the pick of Berry at the time. But you have to give the rookies this year at least a chance to play one Real NFL down before you can start saying that the draft was a waste or not.

I am not a fan of either draft, but you're being unfair when you say we could have just traded down. I doubt there was any GM desperately trying to trade up these past two years.

FWIW, I think Raji in 2009 and Okung in 2010 were the way to go in the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by turner_robert View Post
    Since we lost Carl Petterson we have had some of the worst drafts I have ever seen in my 10 years of being a Chiefs fan.

1. Brian Orakpo
    2. Aaron Curry
    3. Brian Cushing
    All of these players where available in the later first round. If we would have traded down we could have picked up a second. This is the year we had no second.

1.Russell Okung
    2. Rolando McClain
    3. Sean Weatherspoon
    We could have traded down on the the last 2 and picked up a 3rd 2nd rounder and would have had a butt load of players to choose from.

Instead we select Eric Berry the highest drafted safety in the history of the NFL and then payed him more then any other S ever in the history of the NFL. Are we trying to break the all-time stupidest transaction records or what. Honestly Chiefs fans what can we say for ourselves we drafted a safety when we had two good safeties, A CB named arenas who was only picked up because of his return ability we couldn't get that in the 4th round? We picked up a RB who is now a slot receiver and flanker???
    I'll bite with the 2009 draft. I'm super disappointed with Jackson right now, especially considering he's been demoted (whether it's permanent we'll find out, but Gilberry looks better). Pairing Orakpo with Hali would be a scary thought or maybe Raji could have offered that big nose tackle that we so desperately need. Aaron Curry has played below expectations and Cushing wasn't considered an option, besides he's a cheater. In the end though, hindsight is 20/20. Too bad the Chiefs don't fork out cash for amateur evaluations after the fact.

With the 2010 draft, you shouldn't much much, if anything to complain about right now. The season is early but Berry is playing to expectations and maybe more. I haven't looked into McClain, but Weatherspoon isn't playing to the level that Berry is. Also, the chances of receiving decent compensation for high draft picks at this point is pretty slim, a second rounder would never have happened. The second rounders we have are playing like future superstars, which is more than most teams can say, and just about every other draft pick is showing some sort of promise unlike last years class with guys like Brown and O'Connel.

Thanks Aussie!

1. Brian Orakpo
    2. Aaron Curry
    3. Brian Cushing

1.Russell Okung
    2. Rolando McClain
    3. Sean Weatherspoon

to early to decide on either draft class. and if any team had a crystal ball on who would perform and who would be injury free they would be a sb team year in and out.the knocking of eric berry is is way to pre mature. he is going to be a beast. did you watch the tampa bay game where he shut the run down.he will be a pro bowl player he is a young kid who gets it.does nothing but study film and has all of the talent in the world.strives to be a great player not mediocre player very solid pick by the chiefs.i dont care how much he is paid as long as he performs and he will

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post

FWIW, I think Raji in 2009 and Okung in 2010 were the way to go in the 1st.
    I agree with this. Not to knock Eric Berry, but he's not the 2nd coming of Joe Montana in his prime and cannot impact any team that way.

Berry is going to be a great Safety, but the Chiefs went into 2010 off season 0 for 3 in three areas and are now entering the 2010 season still 0 for 3 in the following three areas:

1. On Offense they can't protect the passer -- at least not well enough for Cassel to take a 5 step drop on passing plays.
    2. Can't stop the run on Defense.
    3. Can't rush the passer on Defense.

Berry will help with pass defense to a degree, but overall regarding the 3 areas I listed above, Berry will have no more impact than a fart from a beaver in a tree. The most critical area is protecting the passer & with that Russell Okung has to be the pick. Branden Albert is a Guard playing out of position & it's not working.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    to early to decide on either draft class. and if any team had a crystal ball on who would perform and who would be injury free they would be a sb team year in and out.the knocking of eric berry is is way to pre mature. he is going to be a beast. did you watch the tampa bay game where he shut the run down.he will be a pro bowl player he is a young kid who gets it.does nothing but study film and has all of the talent in the world.strives to be a great player not mediocre player very solid pick by the chiefs.i dont care how much he is paid as long as he performs and he will
    I'm gladyou said what you did because I picked Brian Orakpo as my draft choice 2009 and I picked Russell Okung and/or Trent Williams which ever came first. This is why people have scouts, this is why we watch film this is why we have the draft to make good players into great players. Eric Berry is not worth more then Troy, and Ed regardless of how good he is in college PERIOD. Its to soon to talk about 2008 and 2009 draft really because if your a 1st rounder let alone a top 5 draft pick your going to start and better make a difference and so far NONE have made any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    It's far to early to talk about either draft. I was not 100% behind the pick of Berry at the time. But you have to give the rookies this year at least a chance to play one Real NFL down before you can start saying that the draft was a waste or not.
    I totally agree and I'm not saying Eric Berry wont be a Pro Bowler but even if he is he will not change the game even if he had 1 int every other game it wouldn't make a difference thats probable why teams dont draft S that high. It was a very bad draft.

I totally agree and I'm not saying Eric Berry wont be a Pro Bowler but even if he is he will not change the game even if he had 1 int every other game it wouldn't make a difference thats probable why teams dont draft S that high. It was a very bad draft.
    Must be high.. This is looking to be one of the best drafts in years..
    Your post is pretty pointless since half those choices haven't had a chance to produce yet.
    To make things worse, you talk about Curry who was underwhelming his rookie season, and Cushing who is facing a suspension.

Carl Pettersen drafted some good players, but he is also partly responsible for the state of the team right now.
    He completely failed to maintain the offensive line, which was the bread and butter of this team for so many years.
    Besides he had plenty of busted picks aswell, and he traded away some pretty darn good players.

1. Brian Orakpo
    2. Aaron Curry
    3. Brian Cushing

1.Russell Okung
    2. Rolando McClain
    3. Sean Weatherspoon

There were multiple good choices in this years draft and safety was in huge need of a great starter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast