Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is in charge of the DRAFT?

Default Who is in charge of the DRAFT?

Since we lost Carl Petterson we have had some of the worst drafts I have ever seen in my 10 years of being a Chiefs fan.

2009 NFL Draft we passed on:
    1. Brian Orakpo
    2. Aaron Curry
    3. Brian Cushing
    All of these players where available in the later first round. If we would have traded down we could have picked up a second. This is the year we had no second.

2010 NFL Draft we passed on:
    1.Russell Okung
    2. Rolando McClain
    3. Sean Weatherspoon
    We could have traded down on the the last 2 and picked up a 3rd 2nd rounder and would have had a butt load of players to choose from.

Instead we select Eric Berry the highest drafted safety in the history of the NFL and then payed him more then any other S ever in the history of the NFL. Are we trying to break the all-time stupidest transaction records or what. Honestly Chiefs fans what can we say for ourselves we drafted a safety when we had two good safeties, A CB named arenas who was only picked up because of his return ability we couldn't get that in the 4th round? We picked up a RB who is now a slot receiver and flanker???
    Whats your thought on all this?

It was diffiicult to trade down because of the money demands associated with a Top 5 pick. Once the new CBA is completed and a rookie pay scale is put into place, then those top picks will be very valuable once again.
    If our draft picks this year are as poor as you believe, then we will again have a top 5 pick and it will be much easier to trade down.

I think this year's class is the best draft class I've seen for the Chiefs in recent history. I think the Chiefs used a "Best Player Available" strategy this year vs. "Position of need" strategy that they used last year.
    We got some serious playmakers in the draft this year.

I think we added a lot of talent with the draft. What we didn't do is fill holes through free agency. I think that was partly due to the unknowns around the CBA.
    Last edited by Coach; 08-26-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    It was diffiicult to trade down because of the money demands associated with a Top 5 pick. Once the new CBA is completed and a rookie pay scale is put into place, then those top picks will be very valuable once again.
    If our draft picks this year are as poor as you believe, then we will again have a top 5 pick and it will be much easier to trade down.

I think this year's class is the best draft class I've seen for the Chiefs in recent history. I think the Chiefs used a "Best Player Available" strategy this year vs. "Position of need" strategy that they used last year.
    We got some serious playmakers in the draft this year.

I think we added a lot of talent with the draft. What we didn't do is fill holes through free agency. I think that was partly due to the unknowns around the CBA.
    THIS^^^^^
    I am one who believes the "draft the best player available" theory is the route MOST teams with a top 5-7 pick should use. When your team is bad enough to warrant being in that position, it is clear that you have many glaring needs at multiple positions. I believe this is the route the Chiefs took this year. I also am a fan of teams that are in this position filling many of their needs through FA. Not that this is going to make the team 180 degrees better but your several years away from competing so a combination of best players in the draft regardless of position and FA in my mind is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    There were multiple good choices in this years draft and safety was in huge need of a great starter.
    If anything we needed someone to stop the run or rush the passer and that is not what a safety does. Our rush defense was rated 31 out of 32 teams last year, or SECOND to LAST! Our offensive line was ranked 27. Our pass rushing also ranked 31 or second to last.Our pass defense was 22 which is bad, but a huge leap above our rush defense, pass rushing, and O-line. So our biggest need was stopping the run tied with pass rushing, O-line, and then our secondary. Know what your talking about before you throw out stupid claims that we had a huge need at safety.
    Last edited by figcrostic; 08-26-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    I'll bite with the 2009 draft. I'm super disappointed with Jackson right now, especially considering he's been demoted (whether it's permanent we'll find out, but Gilberry looks better). Pairing Orakpo with Hali would be a scary thought or maybe Raji could have offered that big nose tackle that we so desperately need. Aaron Curry has played below expectations and Cushing wasn't considered an option, besides he's a cheater. In the end though, hindsight is 20/20. Too bad the Chiefs don't fork out cash for amateur evaluations after the fact.

With the 2010 draft, you shouldn't much much, if anything to complain about right now. The season is early but Berry is playing to expectations and maybe more. I haven't looked into McClain, but Weatherspoon isn't playing to the level that Berry is. Also, the chances of receiving decent compensation for high draft picks at this point is pretty slim, a second rounder would never have happened. The second rounders we have are playing like future superstars, which is more than most teams can say, and just about every other draft pick is showing some sort of promise unlike last years class with guys like Brown and O'Connel.
    Orakpo and Hali=20+ sacks a year

I am much more excited about this draft than the last several.......

I see the Berry pick being a wise pick, meaning less likely to get burned. We were paying the big dollars to someone, and feel he was the safest choice, I know the OL needed help, and they did get it in a round about way, we should have more (quick) options with the McCluster pick, I liked the Arenas pick as well, Our special teams was horrible last year and he will makes a huge difference this year. I didnt like loosing a pick for the TE, however He will be a good one if he stays healthy, Overall the best draft by far in years, JMO. GO CHIEFS We will make the playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I am much more excited about this draft than the last several.......

I see the Berry pick being a wise pick, meaning less likely to get burned. We were paying the big dollars to someone, and feel he was the safest choice, I know the OL needed help, and they did get it in a round about way, we should have more (quick) options with the McCluster pick, I liked the Arenas pick as well, Our special teams was horrible last year and he will makes a huge difference this year. I didnt like loosing a pick for the TE, however He will be a good one if he stays healthy, Overall the best draft by far in years, JMO. GO CHIEFS We will make the playoffs this year.
    I'm sure your right Berry will have 15 sacks, 22 interceptions, and single handily stop the run. Plus who needs a line just give Berry the ball he will just levitate over the field like David Blaine or if he's feeling lazy he can just teleport into the endzone. It was a genius pick.
    Last edited by figcrostic; 08-26-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    If anything we needed someone to stop the run or rush the passer and that is not what a safety does. Our rush defense was rated 31 out of 32 teams last year, or SECOND to LAST! Our offensive line was ranked 27. Our pass rushing also ranked 31 or second to last.Our pass defense was 22 which is bad, but a huge leap above our rush defense, pass rushing, and O-line. So our biggest need was stopping the run tied with pass rushing, O-line, and then our secondary. Know what your talking about before you throw out stupid claims that we had a huge need at safety.
    I would suggest you "know" who you are directing your posts to! Aussie is a 14 year old kid I believe who just likes the Chiefs and wants to fit in. Say what you want to most but when it comes to insulting someone, make sure you know who your talking to!!!!!!!

The 2010 draft could potentially be one of the best drafts in team history. People that live in the past just for something to complain about are strange to me. Especially people who think we are worse off without Carl Peterson. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    THIS^^^^^
    I am one who believes the "draft the best player available" theory is the route MOST teams with a top 5-7 pick should use. When your team is bad enough to warrant being in that position, it is clear that you have many glaring needs at multiple positions. I believe this is the route the Chiefs took this year. I also am a fan of teams that are in this position filling many of their needs through FA. Not that this is going to make the team 180 degrees better but your several years away from competing so a combination of best players in the draft regardless of position and FA in my mind is the best way to go.
    Getting the best player available is stupid especially if we don't have a need at that position. So next year when we finish in the top 8 again don't be surprised when we pick up a long snapper with our 7th pick overall.

Quote Originally Posted by buffman316 View Post
    The 2010 draft could potentially be one of the best drafts in team history. People that live in the past just for something to complain about are strange to me. Especially people who think we are worse off without Carl Peterson. Strange.
    If you don't look at the past how are you supposed to evaluate and improve? "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."George Santayana

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast